Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Hooker IPA in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

When they say Irish Pale Ale is that something similar to an India Pale Ale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Yes. It's like an American style India Pale Ale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I drank this a while ago in the Roisín Dubh in Galway.

It's very hoppy, and I didn't really like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

IPA's are very hoppy aright, so they aren't for everyone. You either love them or hate them. If you like Sierra Nevada, or Goose Island IPA, you are more than likely going to like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Hmm, I love IPA. Will have to give it a try, when I'm in Ireland.
    It's good to see more small Irish brewers. Compared to England, there are very few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

That sounds great! Must look out for it.

Speaking of microbrews, I just discovered the Arainn Mhór brewery on Arranmore. I've tried their Bán (pale, slightly bitter, but I'd buy again) and their Rua (mild, for a red ale, but with enough hop that it can use the name).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Just to lest you know that’s not brewed in Ireland, we believe it to be source out to a Belgian group! Although this is not uncommon to help with brewery start up, long temp it could be come a problem if they claim or suggest it’s an Irish product.

And Irish red ale are a low hoped beer, not uncommon to Scottish ale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone know locations where it can be found? Is it in off-licences? The Bull & Castle is beside Christchucrch I think, never liked the look of that place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

donaghs wrote:
    Anyone know locations where it can be found? Is it in off-licences? The Bull & Castle is beside Christchucrch I think, never liked the look of that place.
    It's improved an awful lot under the FXB management.

Galway Hooker is only available on draught. The Bull & Castle is the only pub in Dublin that have it. The full list of pubs is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

had it for the first time in anseo last night. Lovely hoppy favour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Wow- could this be a record resurrection? Almost 3 years since the previous post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

fair play for doing a search.. Still relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's improved an awful lot under the FXB management.

Galway Hooker is only available on draught. The Bull & Castle is the only pub in Dublin that have it. The full list of pubs is here.

Pretty sure The Palace on Fleet St stocks it too.

The Hooker guys keep a map of their outlets here. But Me-from-three-years-ago thanks you for the correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Thought that the Porterhouse Central had it as well, not been there in about 6 months though....

Brgds
    Johnny

It's on the map as "The Porterhouse Nassau St".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Had a few pints of this for the first time on Saturday night in Anseo. Fantastic stuff, very hoppy. Would be my beer of choice in my local was it available.

Sergeant wrote: »
    Would be my beer of choice in my local was it available.
    No harm in asking the manager if he'd consider it. Contact details for the Hooker lads are here.

Advertisement