Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF overall majority: its time to get out of this country

Options
  • 25-05-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

latest predictions are a FF overall majority. Thats it folks, the irish have a serious problem if they are voting this shower back in. What are we like?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Smart?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

don't look at me, I voted for Kodos :p

back on topic: I suppose it was just our thirs for a good bitching session that got us all voting FF again, at least that way we won't have to come up with new reasons to be pissed off.

I voted green btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

They won't have an overall majority. They're looking at being around the same mark as last time.

PD's won't be with this this time though, even their senior TD's are struggling to get re-elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

JonnyXXX wrote:
    latest predictions are a FF overall majority. Thats it folks, the irish have a serious problem if they are voting this shower back in. What are we like?!!

It's democracy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

what does FF have to do to lose an election? Flush people down the toilet rather than billions of their cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wino82

Pretty depressing stuff. mcdowell losing against gormely would be some consolation, but hope its not overall majority!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

FF Majority! Wow That would be fantastic, but I don't think it'll happen this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Who has predicted that? All indications are that FF will get a similar number of seats as 2002, that will mean they are the only ones realistically able to lead a government but they will still need a coalition of some sort.

And it looks like the PDs are in trouble so they may well have to look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

JonnyXXX wrote:

Yes. that's clever. the people are wrong and you know best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

JonnyXXX wrote:

We'll if they do get it, what does that say about the opposition?? Obviously they didn't do enough to convince the public that they would be any better. And in fairness, there have been enough issues for the opposition to

These pre-election pacts end up working in favour of FF not against. Looks like Labour are going to lose seats to FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

PH01 wrote:
    FF Majority! Wow That would be fantastic, but I don't think it'll happen this time.

oh dear another 5 years of fianna folly....

i thought these idiots would get their marching orders.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ah sure we should have had Enda, when he ****s it up he'll pull out like, you know, he'll leave! (it in a mess).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

JonnyXXX wrote:

Grow up and welcome to democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

TheBigEvil wrote:
    We'll if they do get it, what does that say about the opposition?? Obviously they didn't do enough to convince the public that they would be any better. And in fairness, there have been enough issues for the opposition to

These pre-election pacts end up working in favour of FF not against. Looks like Labour are going to lose seats to FG.

Yeah it has nothing to do with Bertie calling the election on a Thurs, preventing many people from voting (especially students) so the only people turning out in numbers are the people who have got rich from the "celtic tiger" or property bubble if you will who are happy to have Bertie licking developers holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Talk of an overall majority on RTE there..

Seems like it could be possible.

Extraordinarily disappointing, can't believe there's such a support.

:rolleyes:

brim4brim wrote:
    Yeah it has nothing to do with Bertie calling the election on a Thurs, preventing many people from voting (especially students) so the only people turning out in numbers are the people who have got rich from the "celtic tiger" or property bubble if you will who are happy to have Bertie licking developers holes.

It was one of the highest turn outs though. So yeah. Students are idealistic idiots at the best of times anyway, the real world doesn't run on wind power. Most people have done well off the "Celtic Tiger".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Paddy Power is offering 11/10 on an overall majority for FF :eek:

That's almost evens.

Next on the list is 2/1 for FF/Greens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Giblet wrote:
    Students are idealistic idiots at the best of times anyway, the real world doesn't run on wind power.
    And here's me thinking the country would be able to see the benefit of a change in government.

Congrats FF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Giblet wrote:
    Students are idealistic idiots at the best of times anyway, the real world doesn't run on wind power.

they are still entitled to vote. are you saying people who are still influenced by michael collins signing a treaty over 80 years ago are in any way rational?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

daveirl wrote:

Group think. There's been a large opposition following on this forum for quite some time and some of the more naive people convinced themselves that it was representative of the population.

That, and arrogance.

Ibid wrote:
    And here's me thinking the country would be able to see the benefit of a change in government.

Congrats FF.

Well a completely unexpected Ibid comment there... :rolleyes:

I can see the benefits of living how I am at present thank you very much.

Giblet wrote:

they are still entitled to vote. are you saying people who are still influenced by michael collins signing a treaty over 80 years ago are in any way rational?

And they did vote. So no problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

brim4brim wrote:

No you're totally right, it doesn't. Massive turnout this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We'll see a big change over the next 10-15 years as the die hards die out.

FF and FG have for the last 80 years relied massively on the "My father died..." and "Our family has always voted..." and "De Valera was a saint...." type voting to secure their majorities. As today's 18-40 age bracket turn 30-60, there'll be a sea change.

My brother's girlfriend voted for an FF candidate because the candidate's a family friend. She specifically disagrees with a number of the candidate's positions on things, but was compelled to vote for them because of the family connection :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Giblet wrote:
    I can see the benefits of living how I am at present thank you very much.
    Bah, too busy with exams (stupid lecturers must be slaughtered) to get into it, but government is not boolean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Ibid wrote:
    Bah, too busy with exams (stupid lecturers must be slaughtered) to get into it, but government is not boolean.

Do you think I'm that much of an idiot? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Thank god I'm leaving on a jetplane tomorrow.

I swear, democracy doesn't work....

Advertisement