Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF overall majority: its time to get out of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

nesf wrote:
    Or Independents if it's that low. Though they've been badly squeezed in this election.

No independent will want an early election tho.

Either FF/PD with support of a few independents or FF/GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks like there will only be 2 or 3 independents elected that will support FF, Sinn Fein or the Greens will be needed imo and I'm not sure the Greens will go with FF.

bk wrote:
    166 in the Dail, so 84 for a majority.

83 will be enough. Appoint a ceann comhairle from the other guys and 83 is the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

irish1 wrote:
    83 seats are needed I reckon FF will get 77 and PD's will get 2 or maybe 3 so Sinn Fein or the Greens will be needed.

Please don't mention Sinn Fein. I'm from Louth and it's a disgrace that Arthur Morgan topped the polls ahead of Dermot Ahern, best politician in the country IMO, last time round. He'll probably do it again even though he has nowhere near the same credentials. Hopefully the Greens will have enough to jump in.

• Advertisement

I'm just saying what the pundits are saying I don't want SF in Government either but it may come down to them or the Greens and Sinn Fein would not be looking for the same kind of deal as the Greens imo.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

the 79/80 is far from a given though (although I think they will get that)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh well, here was me hoping on this election. Can't say i'm shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wino82

KevIRL wrote:

Remember a Ceann Comhairle has to be appointed as well, which you would assume would come from the opposition. So a 79 or 80 FF with 2 or 3 PD's could be enough, esp with the support of a few independents who wont want an early election.

Thats why I think Dub SE will be so important...could make the difference between PD or Green coalition or am I overstating the case. Anyway I think a FF/Green coalition would be interesting and hope to see it. Come on Gormely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

There is no way FF will go into government with SF. Just no way, period.

The Greens would have it in their best interests to be in government with FF as opposed to in opposition. However if FF-PD-a few Inds does the job then thats what it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

JonnyXXX wrote:
    latest predictions are a FF overall majority. Thats it folks, the irish have a serious problem if they are voting this shower back in. What are we like?!!

Germany circa 1933.
    Could the last person to leave please turn off the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Giblet wrote:
    It was one of the highest turn outs though. So yeah. Students are idealistic idiots at the best of times anyway, the real world doesn't run on wind power. Most people have done well off the "Celtic Tiger".
    You heard it here first, People in University are all idiots.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's probably more along the lines of people in general, but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Akrasia wrote:
    You heard it here first, People in University are all idiots.

Yes because that's EXACTLY what I said isn't it.

FF to fall a bit short of 79 is the latest predictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

KevIRL wrote:
    FF to fall a bit short of 79 is the latest predictions

I'd agree with that. Looks like 75-76 seats for FF. Don't know where some people got the idea of an overall majority :confused:

Labour could be the kink makers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Giblet wrote:
    Yes because that's EXACTLY what I said isn't it.

It's called humour.

Anyway, I would dispute the claim that most people have done well out of the celtic tiger. I think most people think they have done well, a small percentage have made massive gains, but for the rest of us, our lifestyle and positive sentiment has been fuelled by cheap credit and that is gonna bite us in the ass sooner rather than later. And there are hundreds of thousands of people in Ireland who are still living in poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Things maybe not looking as rosey for FF at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'd agree with that. Looks like 75-76 seats for FF. Don't know where some people got the idea of an overall majority :confused:

Lets hope we get a tide beginning to turn:rolleyes:

I think my straws are being taken away though! Not many left to clutch.

I'm going to say FF only make 73 seats ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Im just waiting for the Mahon Tribunal now.
    Wait and see, wait and see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hundreds of Thousands? Now come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Hopefully the green party are the ones that will be needed to go along with FF. I would be very happy with a FF-GP government result.

That would be some solace, along with some sort of bad sf result.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

:rolleyes:
    Thank god I'm leaving on a jetplane tomorrow.

I swear, democracy doesn't work....
    :rolleyes:

Why doesn't democracy work? is it because YOU :p didn't get your way?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Smarmore wrote:
    Please don't mention Sinn Fein. I'm from Louth and it's a disgrace that Arthur Morgan topped the polls ahead of Dermot Ahern, best politician in the country IMO, last time round. He'll probably do it again even though he has nowhere near the same credentials. Hopefully the Greens will have enough to jump in.

credentials me arse.
    FF are wasters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's starting to look like a possible FF landslide!

My God, have we all lost our collective minds :'(

Well, there is one consolation, the myth that FF is good for the economy will fall apart when the economy takes a turn South because of the runaway inflation and large scale reliance on property, Bertie and his pack of gobsh**s will be left holding the electoral bag. Maybe ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

what_car wrote:
    credentials me arse.
    FF are wasters

Oh right Ted!!
    He's been more successfull in sorting out the problems in the North than Morgan. He's well educated, has a law degree!! I think you'll find he has all the credentials necessary. What are Morgans credentials? He's a former gun-runner, same as Ferris.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BeatNikDub wrote:
    Im just waiting for the Mahon Tribunal now.
    Wait and see, wait and see.....

What does that matter? At worst Ahern will have to go. Meantime we have five more years of this shower. At times during this campaign i thought it was a presidental race. I swear if i hear people complaining about Fianna Fail in a years or two time i'm going to lose it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

irish1 wrote:
    Looks like there will only be 2 or 3 independents elected that will support FF, Sinn Fein or the Greens will be needed imo and I'm not sure the Greens will go with FF.

There is no way Fianna Fail will do business with Sinn Fein. Bertie has been courting the greens of late but I wouldn't rule out a Labour FF coalition either.

Advertisement