Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Applewood

Options
  • 25-05-2007 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey, We are considering moving to Applewood as soon as we sell our existing house (whenever that may be...).

We have our eye on a house in Applewood Heights and would welcome any feedback from people who live there or are familiar with the estate as to what it is like to live there.

Is it good for kids, is it noisy or quiet, crime levels etc?

At first glance, it looks really nice but we would like to scratch beneath the surface a bit to see if we are correct.

Thanks in advance..

regards,

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crescent

Grew up there. It is a fantastic place, great for children, and lots of really good neighbours. Cannot say a bad word against it. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

have lived there all my life and it has always been a good place for children because of the nice greens and the numbers of children around. there has always been loads of kids around. considering all the houses for sale recently it doesnt look like thats going to change. all the new people that move in have young kids and it seems like a great place for them.
    Unlike some other estates its slightly out of the way. by that i mean you dont have any reason for random people to pass through applewood. For that reason i think you notice anybody who seems out of place. this has obvious benifits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I can not believe the house prices there, out of this world! Surley if you have that sort of a budget you can do better. They seem to be €800,0000 -900,000 + stamp duty (whatever that will be! :confused: )

The good thing about the houses there is the size and the size of the gardens.

:( The bad thing is due to there fact that the houses were built when we did not know any better, poor insulation, poor wiring, basic plumbing and by todays standards, low quality building materials used. I have worked on sevral of them.

If the house you are buying is aleady renovated or if you can have a budget for "modernising", fine but including stamp duty etc I am sure you are looking at spending the guts of €1,000,000. Is it worth it to spend that sort of money and live in a housing estate??:eek:

It also seems like a bad time to buy, prices seem to be dropping. Give it a few months, you could save alot of money. Nothing seems to be selling, I have talked to estate agents and mortage people.:cool:

Applewood does seem to be good for children. Good luck!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bazzjazz

Thanks for the replies. So, good for kids, nice place to live. Sounds good to me. We have a 2 year old daughter so want to make sure it is the right place to move to for her as well as us.

Fishdog, I wish we could do better for that budget :) A three bed cottage in Delgany was withdrawn from auction recently at 920k and later sold for, I think, 1 million!

The build quality I know about. We're coming from a similar age estate and have exactly the same issues. Standards in new builds today are far higher than 20-30 years ago, but the flipside is the house and garden size.

It might be a few months before we purchase anyway as we are waiting to sell our own place and as you say, the market is dead at the moment. So the more the prices drop, the cheaper we get Applewood for, and also the less we get for our own house. Swings and roundabouts really. I think the best thing to do is go for it if that is what you want and don't worry about the market.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

Hi

I lived in Applewood for about 12 years. Left home now but parents still there. I love Applewood. I cannot recommend it more!! If you're on a green it's especially great.

The rooms are all decent sizes, plenty of bedrooms (4/5) and a generous garden. People are all lovely too and no problems with noise/vandalism etc..

Go for it and good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement