Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Irish-Lass but other input very welcome!

Options
  • 25-05-2007 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Michelle here, just to let you know the kittens are doing brilliantly! They are so tame now and crave attention all the time, they love snuggling up with us on the couch! Little black guy (now called Thelonius) is still a little purr machine, and his sister has come out of her shell completely! We called her Ophelia. I had them at the vet for a check up yesterday and they are in perfect health and I had them de-flead and wormed for the summer months.

They sometimes come outside with me when I'm in the garden, but always just stick to my heels! So cute!

Just wondering, do you know if any of the organisations will neuter feral cats and return them to their home. As you know, there are lots of them on the land behind my house, and I've seen at least 4 that look pregnant. There are so many of them I can't really afford to pay to have it done, but I hate to think of all those unwanted kittens running feral and diseased. And it only serves to get worse, the winter of 2005 was very wet and we had some small floods which killed a lot of the feral cats, but last winter being very mild, the population has increased and I can only imagine the huge increase soon this year, if we have another mild winter we could be in for a very big cat clan next year.

I don't really want them taken into pounds as they are quite wild, although have no fear of humans unless approached, but they could never be rehomed and would more than likely be put down. Also, some of the cats have been around years and years, my grandmother (recently deceased) fed them and they knew her enough to come sit under her eat in the garden and keep her company, she's be very upset to think of them being put to sleep. And one other advantage they have is keeping the rat & mice popultation away from our house (we have a river running through our garden).

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Hi Michelle,

Delighted to hear the 2 kittens have settled in well, send me pictures would love to see how much they have grown.

As I said to you at the time. I have traps and can help you get them neutered/spayed. I think the main concern is getting the females first to try and control the population. I would also get them checked for FIV etc. to make sure they are healthy. Normally when they get done if they are wild the vet will nick either the top of their ear or a little bit down so that you know which ones are dones and which aren't makes it easier when there are a few of the same colour around. I have no problem helping you trap and getting them to the vets to be neutered/spayed and returned to you.

The DSPCA do, do neutering but I am not sure if they will neuter feral cats, I think most of the time they just have them PTS but thats normally cause people don't want them on their property, they may neuter/spay them if they realise that you are willing to take them back not sure how much they would charge but they maybe willing to do a deal if you have a few to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

how much would it cost per cat do you think? I'm just not sure if I can afford it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

I can try and help you out with some of the costs.

To get a female spayed its €20.00 and a male is €15.00. I can try and work out a deal for you depending on how many are getting done, but I think that is about the chestest you can get them done for.

You might try ringing the DSPCA they maybe willing to help you as well and might be able to give you a deal as well, just not too sure how they operate in regards feral cats

Advertisement