Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are SF doing?

Options
  • 25-05-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭

No information apart from the possibility of Crowe losing his seat and Mary ou polling badly. Any other info? Have SF plateaued (sp?) already?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

No progress at all this time, it seems that Gerry Adams wasn't quite the hit that everyone expected on the national canvass, owing to his er, patchy knowledge of 26 county political matters...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hopefully Crowe won't lose his seat. He's a good TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hopefully Crowe won't lose his seat. He's a good TD.

Pat Doherty pretty much conceeded he will lose it on the radio.

Predictions are for SF to get 5-6 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Sure we're only a bunch of free staters, what woud we know. Disappointed as I am that FF have done so well, it's consolation that both SF and the PDs seem to have floundered. Every cloud and all that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

crowe good? really? I live in DSW havent heard a thing about it in the last few years only comming up to the election did he resurface, Hayes has been in making an effort since he lost his seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Crowe on Newstalk at the moment conceding his seat.

JackieChan wrote:
    Crowe on Newstalk at the moment conceding his seat.
    I wonder is it booby trapped :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

murphaph wrote:
    I wonder is it booby trapped :D
    Haha, good to hear Sinn Féin aren't taking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Bad management and a terrible performance on prime time by Adams
    clearly showing that the Shinners are devoid of any understanding let alone economic policy!

• Advertisement

Indeed, Gerry's performance was dire. If he'd performed better they mght have gained more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

murphaph wrote:
    Indeed, Gerry's performance was dire. If he'd performed better they mght have gained more.

I don't think they would, they have very limited appeal. They'll pick up seats in the Border counties where you have Morgan and O'Caolainn because there's people there that still think there's a war on and we have to fight it. I'm from Louth so I know. Dublin city center with Mary Lou because there's loads of scummers there. Martin Ferris in Tralee because there's loads of scummers there too. Other than that SF support is limited to lottle pockets of narrow-minded people who don't understand politics. They will never progress thank God!! Hate the Scummers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I'm still baffled at the decision o let him front the southern campaign without proper briefing on fundimentals

SF need to change the way they handle themselves in the Republic.

They need to distance themselves from their northern activites and focus on local and national issues.

Yes, buying back Eircom, Irish Ferries and Aer Lingus would cost a fortune and could cause problems, but in the long run would be good for the country.

Unfortunately they didn't hammer home any of their points or policies and seem to be content with being also rans in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Dublin North West

2 Seats have gone to Fianna Fail and the Labour and Sinn Fein are battling it out for the third seat.

EDIT: Meant for Tallies thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

A month ago Larry O'Toole was clear favourite for the 3rd seat in Dublin NE and he looks out of the running already. SF have no doubt felt some of the late squeeze esp. from FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Smarmore wrote:
    I don't think they would, they have very limited appeal. They'll pick up seats in the Border counties where you have Morgan and O'Caolainn because there's people there that still think there's a war on and we have to fight it. I'm from Louth so I know. Dublin city center with Mary Lou because there's loads of scummers there. Martin Ferris in Tralee because there's loads of scummers there too. Other than that SF support is limited to lottle pockets of narrow-minded people who don't understand politics. They will never progress thank God!! Hate the Scummers!!

Its great to see 12 year olds taking an interest in politics these days

Jon wrote:

Well I'm 26 for a start and I have a genuine hatred for the party and their policies!! I also have enough experience of the kind of people who take an interest in them to express that view. It may be fairly crude but it's not based on ignorance.

Universally hating a party is just as flawed as universally supporting a party.

What about their policies don't you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Jon wrote:
    Terrorist spotted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

FF surfing a monster wave back in is a bit annoying but the PD's and Sinn Fein losing seats is good news. I feel sorry for Harney if she loses her seat. She is a hard worker but Health was not kind to her. She seemed to be out of ideas and now she is out of time.

As for Sinn Fein - meh - has beens

Universally hating a party is just as flawed as universally supporting a party.

What about their policies don't you like?

Policies? Oh yeh to stop people taking the drugs they make money off, privatise industry and have a Taoiseach who earns about €30,000 a year. Che Guevara picked sugar cane to show he was in touch with the common man. What's Gerry going to do, pick spuds!! Their policies are not thought through and they're outdated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Mary Lou was doing the rounds in Cabra yesterday in a snappy suit and a Mercedes.

The supporters who showed up had track suits and prams. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Mary Lou = The most vacuous of all shinners, hopefully she gets knocked-out of the running before she inflicts any more vacant 'Sound Bites' on the poor beggars .........

ArthurF wrote:
    Mary Lou = The most vacuous of all shinners, hopefully she gets knocked-out of the running before she inflicts any more vacant 'Sound Bites' on the poor beggars .........
    Please God. She's so clearly in politics for being in politics sake. She couldn't care less about SF policies (I'm sure they have some) and would just as happily be on a FG/FF/LAB ticket if she was. Awful woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd say in 5 or 10 years' time they'll do much better. They didn't have enough time to prepare for this election, cos they were concentrating on Stormont so much. Now that they're sharing power up there, they can concentrate on the south. Perhaps Gerry Adams should delegate somebody to look after affairs down here (and Martin McGuinness can handle the North), but unfortunately for them there's not really anyone capable enough. Caomhín O Chaoileain (sp) is probably the only likely candidate (and he did appear on 'Polls Apart'). I'd say that's why Gerry felt he needed to come down and handle this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'd say in 5 or 10 years' time they'll do much better. They didn't have enough time to prepare for this election, cos they were concentrating on Stormont so much. Now that they're sharing power up there, they can concentrate on the south. Perhaps Gerry Adams should delegate somebody to look after affairs down here (and Martin McGuinness can handle the North), but unfortunately for them there's not really anyone capable enough. Caomhín O Chaoileain (sp) is probably the only likely candidate (and he did appear on 'Polls Apart'). I'd say that's why Gerry felt he needed to come down and handle this campaign.

If Pearse Doherty gets elected in Donegal he should emerge as the front of SF in the South

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Caoimhghin O' Caolain is one of the few Sinn Féin politicians that I have respect for. He should have headed the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Voipjunkie wrote:
    If Pearse Doherty gets elected in Donegal he should emerge as the front of SF in the South
    I saw him on Questions and Answers once and he came across very well (John Boorman even read out a viewer comment saying as much, so I think John was also impressed! :D)

He's very young though (26), so dunno........

I'm still pretty shocked at Seán Crowe losing his seat! DSW is prime SF country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mary Lou McDonald on just 3500 odd.

Mike.

Advertisement