Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny - Fair Play

Options
  • 25-05-2007 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

At this time, whatever the final election results, I just want to commend Enda Kenny for the fine campaign he ran and the last five years in general as leader of Fine Geal. He really lifted FG out of the doldrums and helped restore the party's fortunes to a point where they can think about being in government again. His integrity was unquestionable throughout and its sad that people would rather elect someone as Taoiseach who thinks bank accounts are pointless than someone of Enda's integrity. Guess it relects badly on the Irish electorate that we do these things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I'm just glad people haven't voted this eejit into power. At least the country wont be the laughing stock of europe without the prince charles of castlebar in power.

His whole campaign was cringe-worthy tbh. The pictures of him with the hurl and dancing with the oul ones summed it up.

Come on FF-Green coalition :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

gbh wrote:
    At this time, whatever the final election results, I just want to commend Enda Kenny for the fine campaign he ran and the last five years in general as leader of Fianna Geal. He really lifted FG out of the doldrums and helped restore the party's fortunes to a point where they can think about being in government again. His integrity was unquestionable throughout and its sad that people would rather elect someone as Taoiseach who thinks bank accounts are pointless than someone of Enda's integrity. Guess it relects badly on the Irish electorate that we do these things.

Here, here

Even if you look back at the leaders debate, Bertie lowered the tone of it scoffing him and simply being dishonest. Enda has his integrety intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

gbh wrote:
    At this time, whatever the final election results, I just want to commend Enda Kenny for the fine campaign he ran and the last five years in general as leader of Fianna Geal. He really lifted FG out of the doldrums and helped restore the party's fortunes to a point where they can think about being in government again. His integrity was unquestionable throughout and its sad that people would rather elect someone as Taoiseach who thinks bank accounts are pointless than someone of Enda's integrity. Guess it relects badly on the Irish electorate that we do these things.

Enda has to shoulder most of the blame for the fall off in support for a change in government. His poor performace in the debate was the beginning of the end for his chances.

Look at the exit poll the majority preferred FG/Labour Government yet Ahern was by far the most popular choice for Taoiseach. Enda may well have been the right man to turn the tide but he is just not Taoiseach material. I would be surprised to see him contest the next election as Leader of FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

i also agree the country shall be much the poorer with another term of the crook from drumcondra, at least kenny possesses the ability to speak in public without coming across like a bumbling fool. only consalation of FF being in power again will be that they will have to face the music when economy goes into recession and property bubbles pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Marshy wrote:
    I'm just glad people haven't voted this eejit into power. At least the country wont be the laughing stock of europe without the prince charles of castlebar in power.

His whole campaign was cringe-worthy tbh. The pictures of him with the hurl and dancing with the oul ones summed it up.

Yeah we just have a chancer who didn't even have a bank account when he was Minister for Finance.

A man whose boss at the time stated he would have fired him if he had knowledge of the "loans" and "appearance monies" that he recieved.

Yeah we aren't a laughing stock alright :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gbh wrote:
    At this time, whatever the final election results, I just want to commend Enda Kenny for the fine campaign he ran and the last five years in general as leader of Fine Geal. He really lifted FG out of the doldrums and helped restore the party's fortunes to a point where they can think about being in government again. His integrity was unquestionable throughout and its sad that people would rather elect someone as Taoiseach who thinks bank accounts are pointless than someone of Enda's integrity. Guess it relects badly on the Irish electorate that we do these things.

Agreed.

I think he was to nice and clam to Bertie in the debate, and then after that FF turned into complete dirty politics to make sure FG got whipped in the polls. Going around getting pictures with Tony Blair and Bill Clinton is just Bertie trying to appear to be "the perfect leader" as he is associated and supported by them. That was unfair politics.

FG were told they played unfairly - I dont think so at all. FF turned on them towards the end and FG were helpless.

Good work this time around FG - stick with it, you may have a good chance in 5 years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Even though I have utmost respect for the man and his values, Enda Kenny was never over the past 5 years a credible leader of the opposition, and showed no sign he would make a great Taoiseach. His constant referrals to his 'contract' over the past few weeks of campaigning did nothing for his credibility.

Fine Gael needs a great leader and statesman if they are ever to gain enough support in years to come. Unfortunately for them, Enda Kenny fell down in the 'great leader' stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Marshy wrote:

But he has integrity...and he makes sense when he speaks...which is something we need in our leaders...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Seems to be some clutching of straws by the Fine gaelers now that they've realised they're beaten once again. Having to look at bertie's "flaws" rather than enda's good points or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

gandalf wrote:
    Yeah we just have a chancer who didn't even have a bank account when he was Minister for Finance.

A man whose boss at the time stated he would have fired him if he had knowledge of the "loans" and "appearance monies" that he recieved.

Yeah we aren't a laughing stock alright :rolleyes:

yeah we are a laughing stock alright what with years of unprecedented economic growth.

Do yet not get it lads, despite some of the scandals the fact is that FF have presided over the best decade Ireland has seen, of course they will be back in and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

i also agree the country shall be much the poorer with another term of the crook from drumcondra, at least kenny possesses the ability to speak in public without coming across like a bumbling fool. only consalation of FF being in power again will be that they will have to face the music when economy goes into recession and property bubbles pops.

HEAR HEAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

radioman wrote:
    Fine Gael needs a great leader and statesman if they are ever to gain enough support in years to come. Unfortunately for them, Enda Kenny fell down in the 'great leader' stakes.

Probably because he looks and speaks like a gombeen gobsh1te.

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Probably because he looks and speaks like a gombeen gobsh1te.

Bit harsh, bordering on libelous almost...i think your post should be deleted by the powers that be...

Can't you try and be a bit circumspect or gracious or something instead of just being offensive...if you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing...

gbh wrote:
    Can't you try and be a bit circumspect or gracious or something instead of just being offensive...if you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing...

My comment was perfectly constructive. I thought the concept of Boards was about freedom of speech in any event. I have an opinion and I posted it, just because you were banking on receiving exclusively sycophantic plaudits to the man in question, don't freak out sweetie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

i also agree the country shall be much the poorer with another term of the crook from drumcondra,

The quote about Kenny wasn't as harsh as this posters opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

gbh wrote:
    Bit harsh, bordering on libelous almost...i think your post should be deleted by the powers that be...

Hah, he's right though. His May-woah accent is worst then Bertie's and he was hopeless at the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Cyrus wrote:
    yeah we are a laughing stock alright what with years of unprecedented economic growth.

Do yet not get it lads, despite some of the scandals the fact is that FF have presided over the best decade Ireland has seen, of course they will be back in and rightly so.

Yeah well lets see how you like their economic boom when you or your kids nice 40 year mortgaged house drops 30/40% in value.
    That is the great ****ing economic boom they have presided over lats 5 years.
    Or maybe you are one of their developer buddies that has screwed the rest of us.

I am not allowed discuss …

I aint freaking out...I'm perfectly calm on this....just, if someone lost an all ireland final, you wouldnt insult them or would ya...fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but it is an opinion remember and not a fact that you stated...my opinion is different to yours and I think of Enda in a positive light and as someone who has been a credit to Irish politics in the last five years...

Miss Fluff wrote:
    I thought the concept of Boards was about freedom of speech in any event.

You are wrong there is no freedom of speech here. Its a dictatorship with Laura Ashley curtains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

AidoCQS wrote:
    Here, here

Even if you look back at the leaders debate, Bertie lowered the tone of it scoffing him and simply being dishonest. Enda has his integrety intact.

From what I saw of it, Enda debated, and Bertie just shouted him down.
    It reminded me of the Philosphical society in TCD circa early 90s. It was not a great debate. I was amazed to see the media handing Bertie victory for simply shouting his opponent down. Then again, no doubt, there are plenty of "Bertie's Friends" are there too . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

gbh wrote:
    I aint freaking out...I'm perfectly calm on this....just, if someone lost an all ireland final, you wouldnt insult them or would ya...fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but it is an opinion remember and not a fact that you stated...my opinion is different to yours and I think of Enda in a positive light and as someone who has been a credit to Irish politics in the last five years...
    You accused him of libel and asked the mods to delete his post because he correctly identified a boggerus boggerus.

I am no fan of Mr Kenny but it has to be conceeded he picked a party up that 5 years ago looked finished, that was being written off by everyone and revitalised it. I will be honest he didn't look like leader of the country material but in my opinion he was far superior to the eejit that was in charge of us (and that was before the financial questions came to light!).

Marshy wrote:
    Seems to be some clutching of straws by the Fine gaelers now that they've realised they're beaten once again. Having to look at bertie's "flaws" rather than enda's good points or lack thereof.

A facial tick is a flaw, a short leg is a flaw...but taking money left right and centre when you are minister for finance from private citizens and not declaring it immediately to the revenue commishioners and waiting until you are exposed by a tribunal is something much more serious than a mere "flaw".

The sad thing is I can't even be sued for libel by saying these things because they are all TRUE and public knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So are people talking about enda in the past tense already?

As for the booming doozer economy FF have created on the backs of non nationals...guess what lads? A lot of those boyos will have the vote in 5-10 years and they wont be voting for parties with gaelic names :eek:

BMH wrote:
    You accused him of libel and asked the mods to delete his post because he correctly identified a boggerus boggerus.

I'm a she!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

at least kenny possesses the ability to speak in public without coming across like a bumbling fool.
    You're joking right?

shoegirl wrote:
    From what I saw of it, Enda debated, and Bertie just shouted him down.
    It reminded me of the Philosphical society in TCD circa early 90s. It was not a great debate. I was amazed to see the media handing Bertie victory for simply shouting his opponent down. Then again, no doubt, there are plenty of "Bertie's Friends" are there too . . .

Agreed...one side tried to play fair, the other tried dirty tricks and underhanded tactics while the ref turned a blind eye...if it was a football match Bertie would have been red carded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

no i i i am not joking de de de taosieach is a a competent public speaker:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

gbh wrote:

Don't be silly, and have a look at some of the FGer posts aout Bertie.

Libel doesn't even come into the equation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

no i i i am not joking de de de taosieach is a a competent public speaker:D

lol - the Phoenix magazine sums its up perfectly in de Taoiseach diarys. :D

Advertisement