Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny - Fair Play

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

ok, but, i don't think its right to be calling somone names without foundation and where they are not in a position to defend themselves...if Bertie lost, I wouldn't be kicking him while he was down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

gbh wrote:
    Bit harsh, bordering on libelous almost...i think your post should be deleted by the powers that be...

Can't you try and be a bit circumspect or gracious or something instead of just being offensive...if you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing...

Yet you let burnedfaceman refer to our Taoiseach as 'the crook from Drumcondra'?

Terrible double standards on your behalf, gbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

gbh wrote:
    Nope, I condemn all acts of destructive and gratuatous criticism equally...
    Christ...

Nope, I condemn all acts of destructive and gratuatous criticism equally...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

gbh wrote:
    Bit harsh, bordering on libelous almost...i think your post should be deleted by the powers that be...

Can't you try and be a bit circumspect or gracious or something instead of just being offensive...if you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing...

Libelous , I think not, but calling someone a crook certainly could be defamatory.
    gbh wrote:
    A facial tick is a flaw, a short leg is a flaw...but taking money left right and centre when you are minister for finance from private citizens and not declaring it immediately to the revenue commishioners and waiting until you are exposed by a tribunal is something much more serious than a mere "flaw".

The sad thing is I can't even be sued for libel by saying these things because they are all TRUE and public knowledge!

They are obviously not a serious issue for the majority as we are witnessing today.

• Advertisement

Anyways, continuing with my theme, I hope Enda stays on as leader whatever happens...He definately has earned it...I don't think any one else on the front bench could do as electorally well as Enda has done.

Even if they are not in government you would have to agree this election has been a success for them in the context of where they are coming from and hopefully a platform to build on and oust the FF shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

gbh wrote:
    Anyways, continuing with my theme, I hope Enda stays on as leader whatever happens...He definately has earned it...I don't think any one else on the front bench could do as electorally well as Enda has done.

Even if they are not in government you would have to agree this election has been a success for them in the context of where they are coming from and hopefully a platform to build on and oust the FF shower.

Is that you Enda?;)

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Is that you Enda?;)

Good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bambi wrote:
    So are people talking about enda in the past tense already?
    he's as good as gone
    As for the booming doozer economy FF have created on the backs of non nationals...guess what lads? A lot of those boyos will have the vote in 5-10 years
    No they won't, not unless they obtain citizenship and if they have permanent right to remain, or are EU citizens, there's no real point.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ninja900 wrote:
    he's as good as gone
    It's very difficult to see how you could claim that.
    FG has done very well out of the election and will gain a lot of seats. Like him or loathe him a lot of that is down to Kenny.
    Now if Labour had a say in the matter they would probably hope to see him gone as they seem to be the ones suffering from the FG/Lab pact.

Outside of the debate (where he performed poorly) it's hard to see where he performed badly over the course of the campaign or where another FG leader would have done better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

In all fairness, Bertie highlighting his international record is hardly a dirty trick now is it? He is respected by most other World leaders for his ability. The thought of Enda Kenny being the spokesman for Ireland has kept me awake at night for this past week.

Bertie won the debate. There was something very contrived about Enda's performance. Bertie tore into the contract and exposed it. Anybody who says Enda Kenny won that debate is dellusional.

Dirty tricks - leaking confidential information at an opportune time isn't playing fair.

Media in favour of FF? Get real. I'd say nearly every single day there were blatently biased articles and headlines in most national papers.

FG did the best they could in fairness - the dirty tricks and scandal made for a good start, the 'contract' sounded reasonable and they looked like a viable alternative for a while. It didn't take people long to see through it though and once the dust settled and a little clarity crept in things swung back again.
    If the campaign was a week or two shorter we'd be staring down the barrel of an Enda Kenny lead government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

DeepBlue wrote:
    it's hard to see where he performed badly over the course of the campaign or where another FG leader would have done better.

He failed miserably in capitalising on the Governments biggest failure - the health service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

radioman wrote:
    He failed miserably in capitalising on the Governments biggest failure - the health service
    You're assuming the health service is an issue for voters. They might say it is but that's not the same thing ;) .
    Once they have enough money to buy private health insurance and so can go to the top of the queue then voters don't care about it.

One of the things this election proves is that Health is no longer an issue that the majority of voters care about.
    If they are given a choice between an improved Health Service or more money in their pocket then the latter will win every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Enda will be there the next time, he will make it hard for Biffo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

DeepBlue wrote:
    You're assuming the health service is an issue for voters. They might say it is but that's not the same thing ;) .
    Once they have enough money to buy private health insurance and so can go to the top of the queue then voters don't care about it.

One of the things this election proves is that Health is no longer an issue that the majority of voters care about.
    If they are given a choice between an improved Health Service or more money in their pocket then the latter will win every time.

It says that the voters were not convinced that the Heath service would be improved under a new government. Enda wasn't very convincing on his costings when pushed on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

DeepBlue wrote:

FInally someone talking a bit of sense re the health service.

Public health car, anywhere in the world is never 'up to scratch' and evryone always complains about it.

The fact is it will never be perfect, nor should it ever be perfect. Let's not forget the dangers of communism:rolleyes:

Cyrus wrote:

Do yet not get it lads, despite some of the scandals the fact is that FF have presided over the best decade Ireland has seen, of course they will be back in and rightly so.
    Yes the great decade where the population of my village stay static while 300 hundred apartments were built in it.
    Where more than likely,I will have to emigrate to get a good job in my degree(Science)
    Where the Fianna Fail party is arrogant to the point that they think all other parties are below(Brian Cowen laughing at Richard Bruton on Prime Time this week.)
    Where the politicians seem fit to allow areas with pre 1950's water schemes left behind in the doldrums ie Galway and Ennis.
    Where if you are located west of the Shannon you will get no developmental help from the government.
    Where people support Fianna Fail because there parents did.
    Where from what I hear,Fianna Fail want to reintroduce third level fees
    Where we get loads of tax concessions but more stealth tax.
    Where we can't even give .7% of our GDP to developing countries despite "Having the best decade ever".
    Where people who have drunk drive less than three years ago endangering peoples lives on a motorway is now cheered on as he keeps his seat.

What has Fianna Fail done for North Leitrim,Cavan,Monaghan and Mayo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yes the great decade where the population of my village stay static while 300 hundred apartments were built in it.
    It wasn't your money that was wasted, it was some developer's
    Where more than likely,I will have to emigrate to get a good job in my degree(Science)
    There's loads of jobs in science in Ireland.
    Where the Fianna Fail party is arrogant to the point that they think all other parties are below(Brian Cowen laughing at Richard Bruton on Prime Time this week.)
    Our opposition is terrible. They have very little experience in politics.
    Where if you are located west of the Shannon you will get no developmental help from the government.
    Not true
    Where people support Fianna Fail because there parents did.
    As is the case with every political party in Ireland and the world
    Where we get loads of tax concessions but more stealth tax.
    Every party planned to introduce tax cuts, where we clearly don't need them and they would all have to be followed by more stealth tax, regardless of who was in power
    Where we can't even give .7% of our GDP to developing countries despite "Having the best decade ever".
    Well you seem to be complaining a lot about things in Ireland not being up to scratch so perhaps we'd be better off sorting ourselves out first.
    Where people who have drunk drive less than three years ago endangering peoples lives on a motorway is now cheered on as he keeps his seat.
    We all make mistakes. If he's good at his job, why shouldn't he retain his seat.
    What has Fianna Fail done for North Leitrim,Cavan,Monaghan and Mayo?
    What have you done for North Leitrim,Cavan,Monaghan and Mayo?
    If there was sufficient population there to vindcate the spending of vast amount of public funds, they would be spent, however places with more people have to be prioritised as money spent in these places is spent more efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

radioman wrote:
    Even though I have utmost respect for the man and his values, Enda Kenny was never over the past 5 years a credible leader of the opposition, and showed no sign he would make a great Taoiseach. His constant referrals to his 'contract' over the past few weeks of campaigning did nothing for his credibility.

Fine Gael needs a great leader and statesman if they are ever to gain enough support in years to come. Unfortunately for them, Enda Kenny fell down in the 'great leader' stakes.

Agree re "the contrac", that really started to bug me. I think it is a shame that it looks like FG could not take advantage of the waste by FF over the last 10 years and despite the seat gain by FG, Kenny is no leader I'm afraid, I thought Steve Staunton was dull but...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ninja900 wrote:
    he's as good as gone

Richard Bruton , the FG VP, has already said Kenny will be there at the next election as leader of the party. From their point of view he has revitalised the party and looks likely to preside over an increase in the party's seats of 60%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Fair pla to Kenny for helping rebuild FG to a real opposition for the 30th Dail but perhaps of they could get Bruton in charge they'd have a chance of government next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

gandalf wrote:
    Yeah we just have a chancer who didn't even have a bank account when he was Minister for Finance.

A man whose boss at the time stated he would have fired him if he had knowledge of the "loans" and "appearance monies" that he recieved.

Yeah we aren't a laughing stock alright :rolleyes:

Enda is not up to the job Bertie showed that in the debate I don't want Bertie but I want Enda less

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

is_that_so wrote:
    Richard Bruton , the FG VP, has already said Kenny will be there at the next election as leader of the party. From their point of view he has revitalised the party and looks likely to preside over an increase in the party's seats of 60%.

The increase in seats was inevitable though. They obviously would gain seats in comparison to 2002 meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The increase in seats was inevitable though. They obviously would gain seats in comparison to 2002 meltdown.

Not necessarily. There was certainly no guarantee they could have pulled back so many. The Conservatives across the water are still struggling to be an alternative. He has achieved a lot from a FG point of view and helped get them to a place where they were in with a shout and were not too far off,assuming the night goes as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The public have spoken, all hail bertie!!

at least he's no george bush!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 zappy

kenny has done well for fg. perhaps the mountain was just too big to climb from such a low base.

kenny and bruton do make a good team, kenny good at the on the ground touchy feely stuff, bruton the detail and the in studio debates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Enda is not up to the job Bertie showed that in the debate I don't want Bertie but I want Enda less

I think thats the general concensus. Lesser of two evils, better the devil you know than the devil you don't and all that...

Enda Kenny's 'contract' being scoffed at by Mary O Rourke on RTE at the moment

Advertisement