Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Does Bertie Have To Do To Lose Popularity???

Options
  • 25-05-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I wonder what Bertie Ahern could get away with and still get the votes. After all it was him that signed charlie's blank cheques, he has panicked into calling the election at 8am on a sunday morning because of the Mahon Tribunal being a potential banana skin. He neednt have worried because it he seems inpeneterable.
    When you look at the state of the health servce, public service pay 40% higher than privatre sector, energy prices at the level they are at and the state of public transport PLUS all of the shenanigans and he STILL maintains his vote.

I reckon that he would have to mug someone and it to be caught on CCTV for him to lose any votes and he would probably not lose too many at that.

Maybe I am being hypocritical as I voted for a Fianna Fail guy on a personal vote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

jimd2 wrote:

Maybe I am being hypocritical as I voted for a Fianna Fail guy on a personal vote.

FFS stop cribbing then, you compalin about bertie and then vote for his party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

jimd2 wrote:
    There is no "maybe" about it - if the FF'er you voted for gets in he will vote for Bertie as Taoiseach. Your vote was a vote for Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jimd2 wrote:
    I wonder what Bertie Ahern could get away with and still get the votes. After all it was him that signed charlie's blank cheques, he has panicked into calling the election at 8am on a sunday morning because of the Mahon Tribunal being a potential banana skin. He neednt have worried because it he seems inpeneterable.
    When you look at the state of the health servce, public service pay 40% higher than privatre sector, energy prices at the level they are at and the state of public transport PLUS all of the shenanigans and he STILL maintains his vote.

I reckon that he would have to mug someone and it to be caught on CCTV for him to lose any votes and he would probably not lose too many at that.

yep you are part of the problem you voted ff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

the way i look at it is... Bertie was no differerent to any other politician back in the day...they were all on the take and it was the way politics was then. I say leave him off as long as hes not doing it now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lol, you voted ff and made this thread? What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Lol, you voted ff and made this thread? What?
    It's ok, it was a personal vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Seems most people only care about the economy .
    Corruption ,third world infrastructure, a third world health service,third world amenities and shoe box housing can be oveloooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

It's the Teflon Taoiseach syndrome. He was always going to be reelected. And bad as some things are the last decade hasn't exactly been what you might call disasterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Brian Lenihan on radio just there stating that FF didn't expect to do this well in the election, they are shocked. Bertie was never in any danger with the f*cking sheep in this country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Ardent wrote:
    Bertie was never in any danger with the f*cking sheep in this country...

God you come across so elegant...

It's a democracy. The majority of people in the country believe Fianna Fáil would lead the country best. Deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ainemolloy1

Very disappointed to hear the early results on RTE. I don't have a problem with Fianna Fail per se. But i do have a problem with a party that is in bed with vested interest that keep our country from progressing. I always just vote for the smaller parties for the sake of democracy. 15 years with the same old faces is no good for democracy.

Every time I turn on the radio I hear people complaining (and rightly so ) about the allowance for carers, the apartheid health care system, the crammed prefabs that pass for classrooms, the rip off prices, the bad planning etc etc...

But I wonder where all that anger goes on polling day. For me Bertie is the master politician as he has made a career out of sitting on the fence. He is now it seems untouchable, and it reminds me of in previous years when politicians with very dubious characters regarding their tax affairs ,crooks basically topped the poll in their areas, I always found that very bizarre. Not that I think Bertie is a crook, it's the power and not the money Bertie likes.

So finally here are the 3 ways Bertie could fall out of favour with the Paddy's over the next 5 years:

1. Take off of German Economy = interests rate going through the roof = property crash (note there has been around 40 property booms in Europe since WWII, all crashed and burned, no soft landings) = horrendous recession as the vast amount of new jobs in the last 5 years, for men have been directly in the construction industry, and for women in the public services ( paid for by property related taxes) = Bye Bye Bertie

2. Value of the dollar slides to 1.5 against the Euro = much higher costs for US multinationals for no added productivity (nurses?). (2,000,000 people working in Ireland, 100,000 in multinationals producing over 85% of exports, what the heck is everybody else doing?) = Bye Bye US multinationals = Bye Bye Bertie

3. Equalization of EU corporate taxes, new french premier is making noises about this. (Irish politicians saying they will veto this, but if France starts making enough noise and Germany does the same , methinks Irish politicians will be shouting at the wind.) = Bye Bye US multinationals = Bye Bye Bertie

But nobody wants to hear this of course, and the majority of economists put on the telly / radio work for banks (mortgages?).

Of course if none of this happens in 5 years time, you will see a 20 foot statue of a happy go lucky Bertie with an empty suitcase, except for his lunch money on O'Connell street. Of course you'll have to pay a toll to get on to O'Connell street then.

Seriously though I voted against the government as the opposition were saying (quietly) the same kind of things. I think it's a missed opportunity!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

Those 3 points would still hold no matter who was in power though. What makes you think anyone else is better equipped than Fianna Fail to handle it? You think Enda Kenny would put up a better fight against these things than the likes of Bertie and Cowen??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

But I wonder where all that anger goes on polling day. For me Bertie is the master politician as he has made a career out of sitting on the fence. He is now it seems untouchable, and it reminds me of in previous years when politicians with very dubious characters regarding their tax affairs ,crooks basically topped the poll in their areas, I always found that very bizarre. Not that I think Bertie is a crook, it's the power and not the money Bertie likes.

To me it looks like the PD's have taken the anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Smarmore wrote:
    Those 3 points would still hold no matter who was in power though. What makes you think anyone else is better equipped than Fianna Fail to handle it? You think Enda Kenny would put up a better fight against these things than the likes of Bertie and Cowen??

I guess that we will never know now or are we are ever going to know with the attitude saying can the other do better than whats there, when they are not given the chance?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Smarmore wrote:

Yes but if FG got in don't you think at next election FF/PDs would be crowing how we told you not to throw it all away and we could have saved the economy.

Now FF will be there to explain how the economic boom they built fell apart over night and left people with 40 year mortgages for houses that have dropped 30/40% in value.

I am not allowed discuss …

Smarmore wrote:

There is a reason for the champagne and backslapping by developers at the Galway races every year! To be honest I was far from impressed with the quality of the opposition, but as I said they at least acknowledged the problems I listed. FF just keeps telling everybody everything is gonna be okay, don't worry your sweet little head about it Uncle Bertie will look after ya.

Can anybody possibly tell me what with all the funds at the governments disposal over the last 10 years is there any single major issue in social life where there has been major progression towards a better system for all of us.

Anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

gainsburg ahern and gainsburg Ireland

jmayo wrote:
    Now FF will be there to explain how the economic boom they built fell apart over night and left people with 40 year mortgages for houses that have dropped 30/40% in value.

Ha, funny you should mention that. I was waiting for an hour for the bus to turn up (supposed to be every 10 mins) to travel the 2 hours it takes to get to Bray from the city center and started a conversation with a lady in her 60's.

She said she was gonna vote FF so they'd have to take the blame for the downturn in the economy in the coming years. She said that if the opposition got in then next time around it would give FF the excuse to blame FG for it.
    I thought that was quite clever of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

radioman wrote:
    God you come across so elegant...

It's a democracy. The majority of people in the country believe Fianna Fáil would lead the country best. Deal with it.

No they don't, you retard. Since when is ~40% a majority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

ronanp wrote:

~40% voted Fianna Fáil, and by my reckoning over 10% voted for a party/candidate they knew would support Fianna Fáil in government if needed

Therefore over 50%, a majority, voted for a government led by Fianna Fáil.

And your comments on my mental state are unneccessary :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ronanp wrote:
    1 week ban

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ardent wrote:
    Brian Lenihan on radio just there stating that FF didn't expect to do this well in the election, they are shocked. Bertie was never in any danger with the f*cking sheep in this country...

Yeah all the sheep baa baa! We should have all been independent and voted for who YOU wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

radioman wrote:
    ~40% voted Fianna Fáil, and by my reckoning over 10% voted for a party/candidate they knew would support Fianna Fáil in government if needed

Therefore over 50%, a majority, voted for a government led by Fianna Fáil.

And your comments on my mental state are unneccessary :rolleyes:
    no, over 10% voted for a candidate that MIGHT end up in an FF government. or a FG government. which doesnt equal 50%, due to that inconsistency of which side they'd end up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Looking back at the blind faith the majority of our people had in Ahern you have to wonder just how many were voting blindly or based on family traditions all those years?

He was completely reeelection focused, economic policies were based on maximising the effects on the chances of getting reelected and you have to hand it to him that they were v effective at that.

One thing also, he would not have been so stupid as Cowan was and to appoint two ministers in key positions of Tanaiste & also Finance that were so out of their depth.

However, the rumours are that he is eyeing up the Park, I reckon he is too cute and will realise that almost anyone in the country would beat him at this stage as I think people have finally seen through him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

An image representing fianna fail and it's voters.

4509206-md.jpg?w=420&h=306

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Bertie was a sickening individual who has not received the level of criticism he deserves for the mess we are in - To think that he said people should commit suicide for predicting (correctly) the demise of the economy says it all really.
    Let's hope his legacy in history includes the state that he left the country's finances in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Very disappointed to hear the early results on RTE. I don't have a problem with Fianna Fail per se. But i do have a problem with a party that is in bed with vested interest that keep our country from progressing. I always just vote for the smaller parties for the sake of democracy. 15 years with the same old faces is no good for democracy.

Every time I turn on the radio I hear people complaining (and rightly so ) about the allowance for carers, the apartheid health care system, the crammed prefabs that pass for classrooms, the rip off prices, the bad planning etc etc...

So finally here are the 3 ways Bertie could fall out of favour with the Paddy's over the next 5 years:

1. Take off of German Economy = interests rate going through the roof = property crash (note there has been around 40 property booms in Europe since WWII, all crashed and burned, no soft landings) = horrendous recession as the vast amount of new jobs in the last 5 years, for men have been directly in the construction industry, and for women in the public services ( paid for by property related taxes) = Bye Bye Bertie

2. Value of the dollar slides to 1.5 against the Euro = much higher costs for US multinationals for no added productivity (nurses?). (2,000,000 people working in Ireland, 100,000 in multinationals producing over 85% of exports, what the heck is everybody else doing?) = Bye Bye US multinationals = Bye Bye Bertie

3. Equalization of EU corporate taxes, new french premier is making noises about this. (Irish politicians saying they will veto this, but if France starts making enough noise and Germany does the same , methinks Irish politicians will be shouting at the wind.) = Bye Bye US multinationals = Bye Bye Bertie

But nobody wants to hear this of course, and the majority of economists put on the telly / radio work for banks (mortgages?).

Of course if none of this happens in 5 years time, you will see a 20 foot statue of a happy go lucky Bertie with an empty suitcase, except for his lunch money on O'Connell street. Of course you'll have to pay a toll to get on to O'Connell street then.

Seriously though I voted against the government as the opposition were saying (quietly) the same kind of things. I think it's a missed opportunity!!!

Jeebus, that was a good post.

All 3 things have hit us at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Here's another one:
    She said she was gonna vote FF so they'd have to take the blame for the downturn in the economy in the coming years. She said that if the opposition got in then next time around it would give FF the excuse to blame FG for it.
    I thought that was quite clever of her.

This whole disaster was well telegraphed back then wasn't it? It makes you wonder why the hell FF did so little about it until now. A further nail in their coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Here's another one:

This whole disaster was well telegraphed back then wasn't it? It makes you wonder why the hell FF did so little about it until now. A further nail in their coffin.

Thats the thing that has me puzzled.
    The inaction.

I can remember people in 2005 talking about Dell closing.
    I can remember people saying the exact same things in 2005.

We've known what the future held for 4 years, to a degree at least.
    And it whatever about reform and averting a crisis, it seems that FF didn't even have so much as a diagram of a contingency plan.
    And still don't!

I understand that a recession was obviously much less prominent in the public's view of the situation.............but even Hitler had contingency plans, and his Reich was supposed to last a thousand years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Thats the thing that has me puzzled.
    The inaction.

I can remember people in 2005 talking about Dell closing.
    I can remember people saying the exact same things in 2005.

We've known what the future held for 4 years, to a degree at least.
    you knew that there was going to be the greatest financial crisis since the 1920's??? Well done man. Are people here really under the impression that without the financial crisis we'd be in this mess. The Brits are the same. The Tory pary are 20% higher than labor in polls over there.

Advertisement