Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool fans....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

irish1 wrote:
    Well I was going on the reports I had heard which said the fake tickets had come from liverpool and if put side by side with a real ticket it was obvious they were fakes, apologies if that is incorrect.
    Yeah but how where they meant to know if they had real tickets they wouldnt have needed fake ones would they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The organisation in Athens was a shambles and it allowed these yobs to ruin it for a lot of decent fans. Its a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

OK I'm a Man Utd fan, I think the problem is an English one, they have a superior attitude to all foreigners I was watching the 2nd leg of the Semi-Final between Man Utd and Milan in Malta and the Man Utd fans were giving the Milan fans stick for having the temerity to celebrate their victory I had to go and congratulate them to calm the whole thing down.
    I could give many more examples but don't have the time now, the Greek authorities were nieve to think that fans of any English team would take defeat well. If Liverpool had scored first and went onto win the Milan fans would have just walked away.
    If United had qualified there would have been carnage, lets hope UEFA learn the lessons of this one.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Had an arguement with a Liverpool fan one night about the behaviour of their fans. Ended up getting a smack for it. Had to laugh at the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No fan of Liverpool but the title is trolling it. You can hold all the scousers accountable for the action of a few. Give it a rest.

Ask questions about the minority of nutter fans by all means but lets also ask questions about police efficiency and UEFA ticket distribution too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

And as for Celtic fans not causing trouble away, they do not need to there is always enough trouble to be had in Scotland...

Interesting....shows how little knowledge of scottish football some people have.
    The last old firm game went past with something like 45 arrests being made in glasgow all day, not bad for a place with so much of a bad name eh?

The Liverpool fans were a disgrace on the night, plain and simple.
    Anyone who cheats their fellow fans out of their hard spent money by STEALING their seat in the ground are nothing but scum.

By turning the heat onto scottish football shows your ignorance of anything outside the glorious Premiership, the most overated, inflated league in the world.

Why do so many irish people actually give a toss about what happens in England anyway?
    Infact a quick look on the Celtic Discussion thread might educate you a little in the differences of attitude between rangers and celtic fans (oh yeah and Hibs fans, sorry blackjack!) were we all seem to have a normal conversation about our respective teams without resorting to name calling and abuse, then compare that to discussions on this board involving liverpool and man Utd?
    English fans, english attitude, wonder why no one likes them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

stovelid wrote:
    No fan of Liverpool but the title is trolling it. You can hold all the scousers accountable for the action of a few. Give it a rest.

Yeah especially since in the first video it seems to be both sets of supporters chucking stuff at each other, and in the second one without being there and without seeing where the people were when the cans were thrown, where they landed, and the exact trajectory they took its impossible to say whether they were full or not.

Probably just another bitter ManU fan failing to see that forged tickets and fans running into the stadium like crazed sheep given any opportunity happens all the time

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6386583.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Eirebear wrote:
    Interesting....shows how little knowledge of scottish football some people have.
    The last old firm game went past with something like 45 arrests being made in glasgow all day, not bad for a place with so much of a bad name eh?

Seems like quite a few arrests for me.....
    Eirebear wrote:
    By turning the heat onto scottish football shows your ignorance of anything outside the glorious Premiership, the most overated, inflated league in the world.

I did not turn any heat on Scottish soccer, perhaps if you read the whole thread (particularly around post one) you will see that it was the OP who said Celtic fans do no such thing
    Eirebear wrote:
    Why do so many irish people actually give a toss about what happens in England anyway?

Well I for one live in England but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

May I ask you the same question ? Why do so many irish people give a toss about what happens in Scotland ?

And just in case anybody thinks different, I do not agree with the actions of the "liverpool fans" who were in Athens but nor do I just think it was the "fans" who were to blame.

Seems like quite a few arrests for me.....

45 arrests...not all football related on a weekend night in any major city? I reckon that compares pretty well TBH.

I did not turn any heat on Scottish soccer, perhaps if you read the whole thread (particularly around post one) you will see that it was the OP who said Celtic fans do no such thing
    The OP used it as a comparison, you however attempted to turn the heat onto scottish football by using snidey remarks about the trouble in the game North of the Border, theres a difference.

Well I for one live in England but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

May I ask you the same question ? Why do so many irish people give a toss about what happens in Scotland ?
    Well i for one was born in Scotland, and have many connections to the country...but dont let that get in the way of a smartass comeback ;)

And just in case anybody thinks different, I do not agree with the actions of the "liverpool fans" who were in Athens but nor do I just think it was the "fans" who were to blame.

The fact of the matter is that most of the insults and ridiculous name calling on this forum comes whenever Liverpool and Man Utd fans get involved, and you as a moderator see fit to have a go at Scottish football fans for this very same reason...tut tut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Eirebear wrote:
    The fact of the matter is that most of the insults and ridiculous name calling on this forum comes whenever Liverpool and Man Utd fans get involved, and you as a moderator see fit to have a go at Scottish football fans for this very same reason...tut tut

Tut tut indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Of course it was the fault of the fans. Thousands with no tickets travelled to a city they had no business being in, several forced their way into the stadium, at the expense of genuine fans who had bought tickets. Sure the organisation could have been better - perhaps in future the organisers should check for tickets at the airport! But there can be no salient argument that the fans were not at fault.

The argument that it is the nature of Liverpool fans to travel without tickets is spurious and insulting, akin to calling them scallies.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was at the game and since I was one of a block of 2000 irish liverpool fans in the Milan end then it looks very likely to me that Milan did not use all their allocation. There was no segregation at all or stweards between our block and the Milan fans, and scum, that we all obviously are, I don't know how it remained without a hint of trouble at our end, or the similiar 2000 bookended against the other side of the Mialn fans.

Obviously there was a bit of crap that happened the other end, and I don't think anyone is condoning that, but you had to be there to see how slow the police and sterards were at processing tickets outside the stadium.

Saying all that, I spent the day waling around Athens, and a while at the main square in the centre which was chock full of liverpool fans (and a few milan fans). I personally saw nothing but good natured fun throughout the day between fans. The fact that there were some troublemakers there does not reflect on all liverpool fans no more than the fact that there was a fan killed at an old firm match or coins thrown at Hugh Dallas a few years back reflects on all old firm fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

while i think it is obvious some liverpool fans were at fault, i think Uefa need to cop on a little too.

English fans travel in numbers, this is known, so the people organizing the matches should prepare some plan of action to deal with this. Constantly throwing their hands up and saying "well other supporters don't travel without tickets" is just ignoring the issue.

Tauren wrote:
    while i think it is obvious some liverpool fans were at fault, i think Uefa need to cop on a little too.

English fans travel in numbers, this is known, so the people organizing the matches should prepare some plan of action to deal with this. Constantly throwing their hands up and saying "well other supporters don't travel without tickets" is just ignoring the issue.

I think everyone is completely missing the point here, Not all liverpool supporters are scum, thats a given ok?

But the liverpool supporters who entered the stadium with fake tickets, the liverpool supporters without tickets who rushed the gates...all knowingly stopping fans who had genuine tickets which cost them a hell of a lot of money, from getting into the stadium are scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

just back from athens yesterday, the pics in those video clips in the OP are disgracful (except the one with that bloke gettin hit with the empty cans, that was funny, i was on those steps at that time, and it was funny - he was laughing about it after)

Don't think for a second that there was a lot of trouble in Athens, there wasn't. I was in Athens for 5 days before the game and 3 days after and didnt see one piece of trouble.

The greek chief of police in Athens praised the behaviour of the liverpool fans, saying that although there was so many more of them than milan fans, they caused far less trouble.

The people storming the stadium were idiots, but it was only down to poor organisation that it happened and peoples frustration at the way tickets were distributed, but thats no excuse.

When 60,000 people travel anywhere, there is going to be some element of trouble. There was a carnival atmosphere everywhere i was in Athens, one of the best weeks i've had in years, apart from the result of course :)

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote:
    I think everyone is completely missing the point here, Not all liverpool supporters are scum, thats a given ok?

But the liverpool supporters who entered the stadium with fake tickets, the liverpool supporters without tickets who rushed the gates...all knowingly stopping fans who had genuine tickets which cost them a hell of a lot of money, from getting into the stadium are scum.
    yes, but Uefa knew something like this would happen if they didn't put enough controls in place, and they didn't. The liverpoolfans have to be responsible for their actions, but the situation should not have been allowed to develop.

The same happends on United trips away; just look at Lille/Lens this season, same issue.

Tauren wrote:
    yes, but Uefa knew something like this would happen if they didn't put enough controls in place, and they didn't. The liverpoolfans have to be responsible for their actions, but the situation should not have been allowed to develop.

The same happends on United trips away; just look at Lille/Lens this season, same issue.

Of course it did, it also happened when Rangers played osasuna.
    What im trying to get at though is that uefa/the greek authorities cannot be held completely to blame.

The people who go to games with the fake tickets, and the people who produce the fake tickets to me are worse than anyone else because they alone are the ones denying people with genuine tickets entry to the ground.

To shrug this off by saying that brittish fans will always travel in numbers, its because theyre passionate, etc etc is giving them licence to do it next time and how long before something tragic happens?
    I for one would have thought liverpool fans would have longer memories.

Eirebear wrote:
    Of course it did, it also happened when Rangers played osasuna.
    What im trying to get at though is that uefa/the greek authorities cannot be held completely to blame.

The people who go to games with the fake tickets, and the people who produce the fake tickets to me are worse than anyone else because they alone are the ones denying people with genuine tickets entry to the ground.

To shrug this off by saying that brittish fans will always travel in numbers, its because theyre passionate, etc etc is giving them licence to do it next time and how long before something tragic happens?
    I for one would have thought liverpool fans would have longer memories.
    I agree with you, the fans have to take a large portion of the blame - but Uefa need to look at the organization of the matches too.

If people simply keep saying "they shouldn't travel without tickets" it will simply keep happening, as nothing will actually be done about it.

The fans will continue to travel, and try to get in to the game by any means. this is not to be condoned or encouraged, but steps need to be taken by the authorities to deal with these situations in a controled, peacefull and civiliser manner when it inevitably does happen.

Tauren wrote:
    I agree with you, the fans have to take a large portion of the blame - but Uefa need to look at the organization of the matches too.

If people simply keep saying "they shouldn't travel without tickets" it will simply keep happening, as nothing will actually be done about it.

The fans will continue to travel, and try to get in to the game by any means. this is not to be condoned or encouraged, but steps need to be taken by the authorities to deal with these situations in a controled, peacefull and civiliser manner when it inevitably does happen.

I wouldnt stop anyone travelling without tickets, thats part of football, especially when it comes to european finals.
    What i would want to see though is far more stringent controls over tickets (thats uefas job) and far harsher punishments for people with forgeries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Firstly i'm not a man utd fan and have no intrest in english football. I made this thread in response to Liverpool fans who had decided to blame everything on the authorities, at some point Liverpool fans have to take the blame for not as a collective group stopping these troublemakers. I have personally witnessed celtic fans stopping thugs wearing their jersey from causing trouble and I have seen the same when Ireland went to korea, genuine irish fans stopping the troublemakers who tagged along. After Hillsborough and Heysel you would think this would be on the back of every Liverpool supporters mind whenever that element of their fans begins to take over.

Few intresting statistics,
    25,000 Liverpool fans travelled over
    of 25,000 fans 220 were arrested
    2,000 liverpool fans stormed the stadium with false/no ticket, thats over 12per cent of their travelling fans [hardly a small minority]

18,000 milan fans travelled over
    of 18,000 fans 7 were arrested
    No Milan fans stormed the stadium and as such no milan fans were refused entry

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=SpAcEd OuTFew intresting statistics,
    25,000 Liverpool fans travelled over
    of 25,000 fans 220 were arrested
    2,000 liverpool fans stormed the stadium with false/no ticket, thats over 12per cent of their travelling fans [hardly a small minority]

18,000 milan fans travelled over
    of 18,000 fans 7 were arrested
    No Milan fans stormed the stadium and as such no milan fans were refused entry[/QUOTE]
    There were far more than 25,000 liverpool fans in the Stadium, never mind those not in the staduim. I would say there wer close to twice that number in the city.

5starpool wrote:
    There were far more than 25,000 liverpool fans in the Stadium, never mind those not in the staduim. I would say there wer close to twice that number in the city.

Ask Eirebhoy to check...im sure he's still got his seville calculator ;)

the venue in athens where i watched the match had 7000 liverpool fans at it, and that was only a very small percentage of the liverpool fans in the city.
    your figures are wrong i'm afraid.

The vast majority of arrests made were of touts and people buying fake tickets, not for violence.

the figures quoted in greek papers were between 60,000 - 70,000

The vast majority of arrests made were of touts and people buying fake tickets, not for violence.

Silly comment considering the touts and people buying fake tickets are whats being blamed for the violence really dont you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

SpAcEd OuT wrote:

No Milan fans stormed the stadium and as such no milan fans were refused entry

AC Milan actually handed back surplus tickets (4000 of them) that they could not sell so there was never going to be a large number of ticketless Milan fans trying to get in.

If any.

sorry qouted the figures expected
    50,000 liverpool fans
    220 arrests
    2,000 stormed building [6per cent, still not a small minority]

25000 milan fans
    7 arrests
    None of them stormed building

figures still dont lie

thrill wrote:
    AC Milan actually handed back surplus tickets (4000 of them) that they could not sell so there was never going to be a large number of ticketless Milan fans trying to get in.
    If any.

Thats a myth uefa released a statement about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SpAcEd OuT wrote:

I was standing about 20 feet behind where that was shot from. The first video is indeed after the first goal but the 2nd one is from the final whistle.there was about 10 or 15 fans on EACH side throwing stuff back and forward. The flair did start from the Liverpool side but not sure bout the cans. It was a lot tamer than it looks although one Liverpool fan did come past me with a split head from getting a can in the head.

The section at th eback where we were standing, all the Liverpool fan swere going ape and shouting at the gob****es throwing stuff. They were giving out that the lads were letting the fans and the club down. Besides that the crowd was fairly mixed, it was split evenly or segregated. I was standing on the left for the first and moved around the far side for the 2nd.

Besides the few tools on both sides throwing things I saw very little trouble overthe 2 days I was in Athens. Straight after the game, 3 policemen did come charging across sygmata(sp?) sq , but they were chasing a local (possibly an Italian , not sure , he wasnt wearign colours and was clearly of mediteranian origin).

As usual it was a small minority grabbing headlines that makes it sound bad. Not condoing it, but if Uefa could organise these things properly, all the fans would be inside the satdium anyway.

besty wrote:
    Why should the thread be closed? It simply depicts the reality of what occured in Athens.

Hardly. What it does depict is two small groups of each fans from each club throwign crap and running at each other. It is however labelled to make it sound like Liverpool have been rampaing across Europe raping and pillaging.

The Police were pointless in the whole event. They never even tried to come near the park where the match was shown. Then right at the final whistle they line up in fullriot gear and stand around while these tools throw crap and run at each other. The same at the ground ( I was there for a few hours beforehand tryign to get in) They set up a cordon and ask to see tickets for a while till their boss went off then they all went and sat on the wall smoking watching thousands of fans mill past.They were all in riot gear but had no interest in any sort of crowd control.

All the way over on the boat the Greek TV station was showing old footage of any remotely mild crowd trouble they had, ffs they were even using the footage of the fa cup final from donkey syears ago when the policeman on the horse was shooing people off the pitch. They had a hard on at the thought that the English were on the way to cause trouble.

On a side note, the day after the game I was up at the acropolis and met Ian Wright. On the way out in the line of poeple, I swear on my mother life, he was whistleing "we won it 5 times" :) Really nice bloke btw, He was stopped loads of times for photos and autographs buts never stopped smileing, talking and answerign questions. Top guy.

Eirebear wrote:
    Silly comment considering the touts and people buying fake tickets are whats being blamed for the violence really dont you think?

when i am refering to the violence, i'm talking about the fans going for eachother in the videos in the OP, i'm not talking about the fans bonking into the stadium.
    some of those fans had tickets. and were just trying to get in. a lot of the people with the fake tickets, were at the ground very early so i hear, a lot of the people who tried to run in through the police lines had valid tickets and were being told they weren't allowed in.

• Advertisement

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    sorry qouted the figures expected
    50,000 liverpool fans
    220 arrests
    2,000 stormed building [6per cent, still not a small minority]

25000 milan fans
    7 arrests
    None of them stormed building

figures still dont lie

where you getting your figures?

Read it online, just did a google cant find the exact article but heres a link http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200607/story/0,,2087123,00.html to a similiar one. figures are slightly diffrent, says 216 instead of 220 but you get the gist

when i am refering to the violence, i'm talking about the fans going for eachother in the videos in the OP, i'm not talking about the fans bonking into the stadium.
    some of those fans had tickets. and were just trying to get in. a lot of the people with the fake tickets, were at the ground very early so i hear, a lot of the people who tried to run in through the police lines had valid tickets and were being told they weren't allowed in.

So therefore the scumbags and thiefs who had fake tickets were directly linked to the violence yes?
    Just think, if there hadnt been over 200 arrests for such things (if anyones figures are to be believed), how bad could it have got?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    Read it online, just did a google cant find the exact article but heres a link http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200607/story/0,,2087123,00.html to a similiar one. figures are slightly diffrent, says 216 instead of 220 but you get the gist

if you are going to quote 'stats' and facts and figures you should really be able to back them up.
    216 weren't 'arrested' they were detained with forged tickets according to that report. Your 'stats' seem to imply they were arrested for violence? Where is the bit about 2000 people storming the stadium you were going on about?

The only bit I see in that link about 2000 people is
    The British government, meanwhile, has demanded an explanation from Greek authorities over the treatment of Liverpool fans, around 2,000 of whom were still outside the stadium when the game kicked off last night.

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    Thats a myth uefa released a statement about this
    Don't believe everything UEFA say. There was a block of 2000 each side of the Milan fans that was in the Milan end.

nipplenuts wrote:
    Of course it was the fault of the fans. Thousands with no tickets travelled to a city they had no business being in, several forced their way into the stadium, at the expense of genuine fans who had bought tickets. Sure the organisation could have been better - perhaps in future the organisers should check for tickets at the airport! But there can be no salient argument that the fans were not at fault..

This is nothign short of rubbish. so are you sayign that becaus ean ENglish team are playign a match on a given day, ENglish people have no business enterign the city unless they have a ticket for said match?What makes last thursday suddenly a legitimate day to visit athens?

I was at the Acropolis early on Thursady morning and there was quite a few English people there who quite obviously were on holidays and not over for the match ( Ian Wright was one, I know because I asked him was he at the match and he said no) Should these people have been turned away at the airport?

Stekelly wrote:
    This is nothign short of rubbish. so are you sayign that becaus ean ENglish team are playign a match on a given day, ENglish people have no business enterign the city unless they have a ticket for said match?What makes last thursday suddenly a legitimate day to visit athens?

I was at the Acropolis early on Thursady morning and there was quite a few English people there who quite obviously were on holidays and not over for the match ( Ian Wright was one, I know because I asked him was he at the match and he said no) Should these people have been turned away at the airport?

OK. Maybe I am not being clear here, or you are having a problem understanding. Why are a reported 50-70,000 Liverpool fans at a venue when they have an allocation of 17,000 tickets. Of Course people are entitled to be in Athens, but these were ticketless Liverpool fans, not tourists, not businessmen, not journalists. No business being there.

Again, maybe it's my clumsy prose, or perhaps your reluctance to read what I said other than in terms of what suits you, but my suggestion that people be turned away at the airport was intended as an illustration (fatuous) of the futility of a football association trying to manage people who, quite frankly, don't want to be managed.

Now do you see?

nipplenuts wrote:
    OK. Maybe I am not being clear here, or you are having a problem understanding. Why are a reported 50-70,000 Liverpool fans at a venue when they have an allocation of 17,000 tickets. Of Course people are entitled to be in Athens, but these were ticketless Liverpool fans, not tourists, not businessmen, not journalists. No business being there.

Again, maybe it's my clumsy prose, or perhaps your reluctance to read what I said other than in terms of what suits you, but my suggestion that people be turned away at the airport was intended as an illustration (fatuous) of the futility of a football association trying to manage people who, quite frankly, don't want to be managed.

Now do you see?

The authorities set up an area specifically for ticketless fans to see the game on big screens. Anyone who wanted to go was entitled to be there. Plus many of us went with the intentions of getting a ticket and getting in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

nipplenuts wrote:

First they were not at the venue they were in the City of Athens.One major aspect of bad management by the local police was they put on a free metro to the ground and the first ticket check was still at the ground.So you got a lot of people heading up to see if any tickets were for sale.

How do you plan on stopping people from getting to a major European city...?I know lads who got flights in from all over Europe others got local flights up from the Island's also alto drove from other city's in the region.How do you stop this massive influx of people...?And thats even before we start to talk about the legalities of stopping people entering a city for no good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Obviously thousands upon thousands of people would have traveled just to be there and have the atmosphere of the massive occasion without any real hopes of getting tickets. Hell if i could have afforded it and didn't have exams i would definitely have loved to be there watching the match on one of the big screen's or in a pub. Sure how many Irish traveled to Liverpool to watch the match just for the atmosphere!?

And on the other note, obviously if more of the total were detained for selling forgeries, then less of that total was for actual Violence. It seems by all actual accounts from fans who were there that the reports of violence were blown completely out of proportion and were in fact a minority of crap people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

nipplenuts wrote:
    No business being there.

I was going to go to Athens without a ticket, not with the intension of buying one but to sample the atmosphere on the night and then spend a couple of days doing the tourist bit. Seeing the sights etc.

A work emergency put paid to that though.

I feel i had every right to want to be there. Events like that don't happen very often so why not take the opportunity to go and enjoy it?

Why should a few trouble makers deprive people like myself from experiencing nights like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'll throw my support behind the ticketless fans travelling, as I did the same last November when I went to Germany without a ticket for the Spurs-Leverkusen UEFA Cup game. One of the best away trips I've done.

copacetic wrote:
    if you are going to quote 'stats' and facts and figures you should really be able to back them up.
    216 weren't 'arrested' they were detained with forged tickets according to that report. Your 'stats' seem to imply they were arrested for violence? Where is the bit about 2000 people storming the stadium you were going on about?

The only bit I see in that link about 2000 people is

Thats not the actual link as stated in my previous post, and being detained is being arrested, they don't just go around detaining innocent folk for fun. oh and if 2000 genuine ticket holding fans didn't get in because their seats were taken that would imply that 2000 people had stormed the building. News channels reported that when the main gate in the stadium was finally opened well over 1000 people stormed in

thrill wrote:
    I was going to go to Athens without a ticket, not with the intension of buying one but to sample the atmosphere on the night and then spend a couple of days doing the tourist bit. Seeing the sights etc.

A work emergency put paid to that though.

I feel i had every right to want to be there. Events like that don't happen very often so why not take the opportunity to go and enjoy it?

Why should a few trouble makers deprive people like myself from experiencing nights like that?

I absolutely agree. I have no problem with any of that. Anyone has every right to be there if they're there for legitimate reasons. I just think that if you arrange an event for 50,000 people and sell tickets well in advance, and twice as many as expected turn up, then you have a problem not of the organisers making.

nipplenuts wrote:
    I absolutely agree. I have no problem with any of that. Anyone has every right to be there if they're there for legitimate reasons. I just think that if you arrange an event for 50,000 people and sell tickets well in advance, and twice as many as expected turn up, then you have a problem not of the organisers making.

Did you miss th epart where the organisers specifically set up big screens for ticketless fans to congregaand watch the match?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is this Liverpool fans or all fans in Europe?

kdjac

nipplenuts wrote:
    I just think that if you arrange an event for 50,000 people and sell tickets well in advance, and twice as many as expected turn up, then you have a problem not of the organisers making.

Now thats been very simplistic,hundreds if not thousands of fans were let down by travel agents only days before the game.These lads had booked time of work etc and then at the last min they were let down and had no tickets,a lot went over anyway.

Again I am not saying the thuggish behavior was acceptable it simply is not,but don't try and say the problem was not made worse by the organizer's.It was symbolic and very armature,UEFA have a lot of questions that need answers but I predict nothing will happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The simple point is that organisers should be able to organise it so that something like this can't happen, unless there is a massive massive amount of fans partaking in it. It's not that hard to do, there are procedures set in place all over the world for it, yet they consistently fail in the crapper stadiums across Europe.

PHB wrote:
    It's not that hard to do, there are procedures set in place all over the world for it, yet they consistently fail in the crapper stadiums across Europe.

Very true,and UEFA keep giving these Association's big games,i just don't understand it there should be ramification's for ones fcuk ups.This type of thing would just not happen in the UK.

I book dinner for six in a restaurant that's full. Twelve of us show up. How is that the restaurant's fault?

Look, I'm not having a go at Liverpool fans, I just fail to see why people think it is somehow Uefa's fault 25,000 ticketless fans showed up. And surely the fact there were screens shows a degree of organisation. The screens, I'm sure were, however, intended for the people of Athens, no?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement