Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool fans....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

nipplenuts wrote:
    I book dinner for six in a restaurant that's full. Twelve of us show up. How is that the restaurant's fault?

Seeing as you ignored me twice, I'll use one of your analogies.

What if the restaurant has a balcony they keep specially for when the restaurant is full, just so people with no bookings can still go and enjoy the place? Beacuse, as I've said twice already, they set up big screens in the park near the main square specially for ticketless fans to watch the game.
    nipplenuts wrote:
    The screens, I'm sure were, however, intended for the people of Athens, no?

No.

The fact of it is, in a 60,000 seater stadium, there should be at least 50,000 actual fans. Personally, I'd fill the stadium completely with fans, barring maybe 1,000 for Uefa delegates and special guests (wasnt Rivaldo there?) and say 4 or 5 tickets per player/club official for friends/family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

nipplenuts, if you show up at a restaurant, and the restaurant knows that it is likely that twelve of you will show up, don't you think the restaurant should make sure that the twelve of you can't get in, ya know, in order to protect the other customers. Of course the fans are at fault, but their fault is irrelevent, they are not people we can change, UEFA must take responsibility, and when they do, those fans will stop trying to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

nipplenuts wrote:
    I book dinner for six in a restaurant that's full. Twelve of us show up. How is that the restaurant's fault?

Look, I'm not having a go at Liverpool fans, I just fail to see why people think it is somehow Uefa's fault 25,000 ticketless fans showed up.

Using your own analogy, you book a table for six, then when you turn up you find that someone has tricked the restaurant owners into giving them your place's and refuse you entry. That would make it the restaurants fault.

Fans with forged tickets got into the game while people with genuine tickets didn't. That makes it partly UEFA's fault. Bad organization. Those fans were bound to be angry. It doesn't excuse their subsequent behavior.

I'm not saying thats it's all UEFA's fault, but they certainly contributed to it and should shoulder some of the blame.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Their was a strong rumour going around Athens on match day that tickets would be on sale at the ground,there was a free yes free metro to the ground all day with no ticket check's before,on the train or when people got off it.A big Q started to forum,the rumour was that some of the Milan returns would be on sale at some stage.

Nobody at the ground could contact anybody from UEFA,yes on the biggest day of there year nobody on the ground from UEFA could be contacted.Naturally the rumour spread like wildfire through the city,the crowed got bigger and bigger again the free Metro (with no ticket checks) did not help.

Do you call this good management from UEFA...?and this is just one thing from the day I could go on and on but whats the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dub13 wrote:

Do you call this good management from UEFA...?and this is just one thing from the day I could go on and on but whats the point.

Theres been 50 or Cl type finals since the thing began all have gone well when not containing English teams. Now i have been to 3 in my lifetime without tickets but still got to watch it in some square with fans of both teams in a superb area for fans to bo(without tickets). Granted all in last 20 years but 2 of the ones i went too English clubs were banned so as both other teams brought great fans it went well and was well organised.

Now in todays CL type finals there is always a place for ticketleess fans to watch the game so called "parks" and such with beer tents and opposing fasn to make it a good day out. Athens was ready But a certain type of person can allude all authorities and commit crimes, as the OP posted.......

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

KdjaCL wrote:
    But a certain type of person can allude all authorities and commit crimes, as the OP posted.......

WTF does that mean? Allude all authorities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

There 100 odd pool stewards/police there they alluded them :D

kdjac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I can assure you Athens was not ready.That artical is a joke KdjaCL.

Fans were not segregate in the ground or in the city.

Athens International Airport could not cope with the demand.

As for the bus holding area it was a joke,flights were delayed and people had to sleep on a cold wet car park floor.They were caged in.

Innocent fans some with kids were tear gassed.

10,000 police officers on duty for the final and a further 14,000 will be on standby.Well none of they were in the square when the trouble started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

nipplenuts - the place in athens i watched the game was called 'Stanley Park' and it was for Liverpool fans only, now in my opinion, they would have had a pretty slow night if Liverpool fans weren't allowed to travel wouldnt they?!

Ya can't sanitize football so much - it'll lose its passion and thats wat makes it great.

That is not making excuses for people bonking into the ground without a ticket, thats just wrong and stupid, but the authorities should have been able to deal with them and they weren't.

The Liverpool fans did not cause a lot of trouble in Athens and thats a fact. In reality they were taken to the heart of the people in Greece.
    Uefas mishandling of the ticket allocation and poor organisation of the event in general created a massive feeling of injustice among the fans and this lead to a few small incidents that are not acceptable.

End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

KdjaCL wrote:
    There 100 odd pool stewards/police there they alluded them :D

kdjac
    they made an indirect reference to the stewards/police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

I think he means elude/eluded the stewards and police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Dub13 wrote:
    Very true,and UEFA keep giving these Association's big games,i just don't understand it there should be ramification's for ones fcuk ups.

That stadium has hosted three other European finals (two CL/European Cup finals, including one of the best of modern times Milan 4-0 Barca, and a Cup Winners Cup) along with the football final of the 2004 Olympics.It has also hosted all three major Athens clubs in domestic and European ties.

Just for information purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Stekelly wrote:
    The fact of it is, in a 60,000 seater stadium, there should be at least 50,000 actual fans. Personally, I'd fill the stadium completely with fans, barring maybe 1,000 for Uefa delegates and special guests (wasnt Rivaldo there?) and say 4 or 5 tickets per player/club official for friends/family

Shouldn't Liverpool FC shoulder some of the blame then? Only 11,000 of the official allocation of 17,000 was distributed to ordinary fans, with teh rest given to corporate sponsors, box holders and the like.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That Athens is ready article reads like a work of fiction to be honest. There was none of that in evidence to me, especially the segregation bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Shouldn't Liverpool FC shoulder some of the blame then? Only 11,000 of the official allocation of 17,000 was distributed to ordinary fans, with teh rest given to corporate sponsors, box holders and the like.

yes they should shoulder some of the blame, and i actually think Parry may pay for it with his job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

yes they should shoulder some of the blame, and i actually think Parry may pay for it with his job

Parry's departure from the club has been on the cards since the takeover anyway - I'm not sure if this is going to influence that too much tbh.

Getting back on topic - who was to blame is largely irrelevant now. What happened happened - tickets were allocated as they were, "fans" stormed in, etc.. - none of that can be changed and pointing fingers or passing the blame is going to do **** all about it. It's now time for all concerned to take stock of what happened and try and ensure that similar (or worse) events can't happen at future games. That includes - but is by no means limited to:
    o. UEFA conducting a review of their procedures and ensuring - if necessary - that they're better able to cope at future games
    o. ditto for the greek police.
    o. the fans - quite simply need to grass up anyone who was causing trouble or bunked in one way or another. Doesn't matter if they're a mate or whatever - if they caused trouble or got into the stadium illegally then they need to pay a price for that. Starting with that twat who was on SSN the next day claiming he'd bunked in. And they need to feed the names to relevant authorities and ....
    o. the club - they need to ensure that anyone who did cause trouble at the game (in the city or in/around the stadium) get banning orders. But those people need to be identified first..
    o. etc..

Unfortunately I very much doubt if any of that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Right. I've been away. Just saw this now.

I'm highly suspicious of the nature in which this thread started. Aside from that, I think it's been discussed before and in a less trolly nature.

Closed.

P.S. I'm gonna read over this thread and there may be bans coming if I deem anyone as trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Spaced Out and grahamo banned for 2 weeks as a result of this thread.

I'm pretty much happy that some of the posts these two made were intended to insult liverpool fans and for no other reason.

A few others I've noted named of.

I'm sick of the idea that you have some God Given Right to piss on other supporters because you're a soccer fan.

Oh, by the way, I'm not a Pool fan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement