Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€5500ish to spend... what to get??

Options
  • 25-05-2007 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Drivin mad, looking to replace my car(s)...

I'm looking for something comfy, 2ltr(petrol or diesel) or less, reliable, some toys(air con, lec windows etc)...

Had a look at a 01 laguna yest, lovely car.. very very comfy n lots of toys.. Been reading up about them n they seem to be plauged with problems, espec the diesel. For every 20 reviews there's only 1 good one....

So anyone got any other suggestions???

Rosco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rover 75 diesel? Comfy, toys, excellent BMW engine, cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Thought about that.. not much of a selection from what i can see. Lots of nice ones in the UK, high specs, full leather but the VRT rules em out...

Sure they're not as common as Mondeos, but there are still plenty for sale. I'd expect an '00 / '01 for your budget. VRT on an '00 is about €1,700 BTW, but I'd look here first on your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How about going totally cheapskate?

for 3.5 - 4 k you should be able to get your hands on a 00 - 01 with leather, climate etc and under 60 k miles ....

Deawoo Leganza

Drive it 3 - 4 trouble free years ...throw away

(I've never driven one though ...so I can only suggest, not recommend ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

Glanza!!! what about a 99 vw passat 1.9 tdi??

• Advertisement

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=691157

Thats the only one near my budget on carzone...

Aint a fan of jap/asian cars.... Unless they where made in the 80s, remember my uncles bluebird... More cars should have blue interiors ;-)

Glanza V wrote:
    Glanza!!! what about a 99 vw passat 1.9 tdi??

Been looking at a few, sensible, reliable, BORING... looking for something a bit different. Something with a nice interior as thats where i'll be speding most of my time.

As for a Glanza, have had a saxo vts for the past year... had my fun on the twisty bits, looking for something big n comfy to soak up the miles now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TOURTHELANCE

Check out motortrader.ie and look under the Alfaromeo section the first one the page looks class. Other than that how about a passat or bora or something like that? Is it a classy looking car or just an a to b type you are looking for?

peasant wrote:
    Drive it 3 - 4 trouble free years ...throw away

That's a good point to take up front. Any D-segment car or bigger within that budget will be virtually worthless and hard to shift after a few years

What mileage will you be doing, unklerosco?

I plan to do more than I did in the saxo, on an ave week i do 300mile(mon-fri)... plan to do allot more at the weekends when i get a bigger motor. So u could add an extra 150-200 over the weekend...

• Advertisement

You're probably better of with a diesel so
    unklerosco wrote:
    Thats the only one near my budget on carzone...

Carzone prices are way overstated, especially the ones from dealers. You'll easily get that one for your budget. The dealer would probably even perform a sexual act on you to get rid of the car :D

There's loads in the buy and sell too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Doesn't actually meet you criteria, but how about an Ex-cop Volvo 850 or V70 T-5 from the UK?

Good bang for your buck!

unkel wrote:
    There's loads in the buy and sell too

There's only 3 n they're all more expensive than the one on carzone...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I've a similar budget, and the rover 75 from the UK looks nice, especially some of the spec you can get

also looks like you get can get a 6yr old s-type in and registered for c.€13K :o

My neighbour got an S-type last week from the UK... €11k all in, its in mint condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

unklerosco wrote:
    My neighbour got an S-type last week from the UK... €11k all in, its in mint condition.

see, I could if I wanted to. It's a huge car though, I don't think I could bring myself to parking it in the apartment block! What year he get?

unklerosco wrote:
    There's only 3 n they're all more expensive than the one on carzone...

Yeah a good few are from the North alright. They would be over budget because of the VRT except for this one that might be interesting:

Rover 75 CDT Diesel 2001, Ulster Antrim
    MOT to March ’08, drives well, high mls. £2500. 028-90309455

Hehe someone is looking for €16k for an '02 1.8 petrol. He'll be looking for a long time so...

Prices for all Rovers have collapsed after MG-Rover went bankrupt. I got a 75 for Mrs unkel last year. It's a '01 1.8 petrol low mileage. It was by far the cheapest I could find on the web asking for €7k. Got it for €6k

Now, a year later, the cheapest '02 1.8 75 on carzone.ie at the moment is €9k, so that's 50% overpriced in my book

Some liquidation sale at a docks... Twas all jags... he's in his late 60's, he just buys things for fun. He's 3 bikes, 4 cars, 2 vans, 2 boats n a caravan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Nissan Maxima QX?

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 centreofmotors

Ford Mondeo 2.0 LX (2003) about 5750 great car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That Omega looks very tempting.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I recommend a Rover 75. Fantastic cars. Dad "upgraded" to a 9month old S-type last year, and apart from the extra toys and leather its not really any more comfortable than the 75. He sold his '01 2.0 V6 for €8250 last year and it was immaculate (i had it for sale up here - maroon).

Advertisement