Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The unBelief-O-Matic!

• 25-05-2007 2:40pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Are you an apathetic or militant atheist? Find out now!

http://quizfarm.com/run.php/Quiz?quiz_id=34703
    Militant Atheist 83%
    Scientific Atheist 75%
    Apathetic Atheist 75%
    Spiritual Atheist 75%
    Agnostic 67%
    Angry Atheist 58%
    Theist 17%

Willing to take theists to task, the Militant Atheist is someone who knows deep within themselves that there is no god and they want to tell you all about how they know. Even though they're as annoying in their own way as militant theists, this is often a phase of development and doesn't tend to last very long. If it does, they're in danger of becoming an Angry Atheist and making everyone uncomfortable.
    Funny, there's that 17% again. Must be my catholic lobe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You scored as a Scientific Atheist
    These guys rule. I'm not one of them myself, although I play one online. They know the rules of debate, the Laws of Thermodynamics, and can explain evolution in fifty words or less. More concerned with how things ARE than how they should be, these are the people who will bring us into the future.

Scientific Atheist 92%
    Apathetic Atheist 58%
    Spiritual Atheist 58%
    Agnostic 42%
    Angry Atheist 33%
    Militant Atheist 25%
    Theist 8%

I can live with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

These guys rule. I'm not one of them myself, although I play one online. They know the rules of debate, the Laws of Thermodynamics, and can explain evolution in fifty words or less. More concerned with how things ARE than how they should be, these are the people who will bring us into the future.

Scientific Atheist 100%
    Apathetic Atheist 80%
    Spiritual Atheist 50%
    Agnostic 25%
    Angry Atheist 25%
    Militant Atheist 8%
    Theist 5%
    It's like they've known me all my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Scientific Atheist75%
    Angry Atheist 58%
    Militant Atheist 50%
    Spiritual Atheist 42%
    Agnostic 17%
    Theist 8%
    Apathetic Atheist 0%

robindch, it seems odd that you could be 83% militant and 75% apathetic aswell! Wait for zillah to score 100% militant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You scored as a Apathetic Atheist
    Meh... whatever. Apathetic Atheists tend towards disbelief because believing takes more work. These are the people who won't argue religion, even if a total nutjob confronts them because arguing just seems like a waste of time they could spend doing something else.

Apathetic Atheist 83%
    Scientific Atheist 75%
    Spiritual Atheist 67%
    Militant Atheist 33%
    Theist 33%
    Angry Atheist 33%
    Agnostic 33%

Laziness ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What kind of atheist are you?
    You scored as a Theist
    Why did you take a quiz specifically for atheists? Are you illiterate as well as deluded? Go sing at a brick wall or give your money to a corrupt pedophile or something.

Theist 100%
    Spiritual Atheist 33%
    Agnostic 33%
    Militant Atheist 17%
    Apathetic Atheist 0%
    Scientific Atheist 0%
    Angry Atheist 0%

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

aidan24326 wrote:
    robindch, it seems odd that you could be 83% militant and 75% apathetic as well!
    Admirably balanced.

Running the test a second time, the militancy dropped to 67% and the scientific bit rose to 92%. It seems to be overly sensitive to how you answer some of the questions; in the spirit of enquiry, it might be worth running it again tomorrow and reporting the results for comparison :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Scientific Atheist...

Scientific Atheist 92%
    Angry Atheist 67%
    Apathetic Atheist 58%
    Spiritual Atheist 50%
    Militant Atheist 42%
    Theist 25%
    Agnostic 17%

Something seriously wrong with that survey - they say I'm hardly militant at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Agnostics consider the possibility that they may be wrong about God's existence, no matter which side of the fence they stand on. Always willing to objectively evaluate the most ridiculous proof, nevertheless, these guys are skeptics of the Nth degree.

Agnostic
    100%

Spiritual Atheist
    67%

Apathetic Atheist
    58%

Militant Atheist
    50%

Scientific Atheist
    50%

Theist
    42%

Angry Atheist
    0%

O yeah... 100%, who knew 42 questions were all it took to describe me :)

Jakkass wrote:
    Theist 100%
    Militant Atheist 17%
    These two don't seem to go together very well :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

You scored as a Theist
    Why did you take a quiz specifically for atheists? Are you illiterate as well as deluded? Go sing at a brick wall or give your money to a corrupt pedophile or something.

Theist 67%
    Spiritual Atheist 33%
    Agnostic 33%
    Scientific Atheist 17%
    Militant Atheist 17%
    Apathetic Atheist 0%
    Angry Atheist 0%

Well if I don't get 100% on the Theist side, does that mean I'n not a fundamentalist?

Just glad I'm not Apathetic or Angry.

• Advertisement

Well if I don't get 100% on the Theist side, does that mean I'n not a fundamentalist?

What exactly does one take from the word fundementalist though. One can be a fundementalist merely because they hold the fundemental principles of Christianity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Scientific Atheist 92%
    Spiritual Atheist 83%
    Militant Atheist 67%
    Apathetic Atheist 50%
    Agnostic 17%
    Angry Atheist 17%
    Theist 8%

Not very angry, but angrier than I am theist!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Jakkass wrote:
    What exactly does one take from the word fundementalist though. One can be a fundementalist merely because they hold the fundemental principles of Christianity?

I think it's one of those words that mean different things depending on which side of the fence one sits. It certainly means what you say, but is also frequently taken to mean someone who justifies a socially conservative stance by reference to religion.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

You may have to face up it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Jakkass wrote:
    These two don't seem to go together very well :confused:

Do not question the holy survey. Assimilate and you will be saved!

Jakkass wrote:
    What exactly does one take from the word fundementalist though.
    As Scofflaw says, it's a word which means different things to different people.

In my book, a fundamentalist is somebody who creates a specific interpretation of something (usually a book) and then declares that it is impossible for this specific interpretation to be wrong in any way.

Isn't that the key definiton of militant atheism, which claims that it is impossible for there to be a God?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Scientific Atheist 83%

Agnostic 58%

Militant Atheist 50%

Spiritual Atheist 50%

Apathetic Atheist 42%

Angry Atheist 33%

Theist 25%

I'm not that agnostic really. Or am I. I just don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Jakkass wrote:
    Isn't that the key definiton of militant atheism, which claims that it is impossible for there to be a God?
    I am only speaking for myself here, but I don't say that it's impossible for there to be a God, but rather that the odds are severely against that being the case. Probability man. Anything is possible.

Jakkass wrote:

Depends. A militant atheist can be an atheist/atheistic agnostic who simply believes that religion/religious belief is a terrible thing and should be stamped out.

An agressive secularist, on the other hand, is someone who believes that religion/religious belief is a terrible thing when it determines public life and should be prevented from doing so.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote:
    No. "Militant atheism" has no generally agreed definition and what the words of the phrase connote -- people hanging around churches, taking potshots at priests or whatever -- is unsavory.

It sounds like you're referring to "Strong Atheism" which is the assertion that there are no gods of any kind, but I don't know anybody who holds that view.

I've never come across the view that you mention "that it's impossible for there to be a god" and can't even begin to imagine how one could arrive at that conclusion. Though it's quite easy to say that certain depictions of certain gods are certainly "impossible" if you take that to mean "self-contradictory".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Scientific Atheist - 83%

Apathetic Atheist - 75%

Agnostic - 58%

Angry Atheist - 50%

Spiritual Atheist - 50%

Militant Atheist - 42%

Theist - 25%

Gotta get that anger under control :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Scientific Atheist - 75%
    Agnostic - 67%
    Angry Atheist - 67%
    Militant Atheist - 58%
    Apathetic Atheist - 42%
    Spiritual Atheist - 42%
    Theist - 0%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

pinksoir wrote:
    I am only speaking for myself here, but I don't say that it's impossible for there to be a God, but rather that the odds are severely against that being the case. Probability man. Anything is possible.

I got scientific atheist:

Agnostic 75%
    Scientific Atheist 75%
    Spiritual Atheist 67%
    Apathetic Atheist 42%
    Militant Atheist 33%
    Theist 25%
    Angry Atheist 8%

I dind't know the two people referenced in two of the questions, look them up changed my answers and I am now:
    Scientific Atheist 100%
    Agnostic 67%
    Spiritual Atheist 58%
    Apathetic Atheist 50%
    Militant Atheist 42%
    Theist 25%
    Angry Atheist 8%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Spiritual Atheist 100%
    Scientific Atheist 75%
    Agnostic 67%
    Militant Atheist 42%
    Theist 33%
    Angry Atheist 25%
    Apathetic Atheist 8%

Ah! Some of the coolest people in the world are Spiritual Atheists. Most of them weren't brought up in an organized religion and have very little baggage. They concentrate on making the world a better place and know that death is just another part of life. What comes after, comes after.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Scientific Atheist 100%
    Theist 50%
    Militant Atheist 33%
    Agnostic 33%
    Apathetic Atheist 33%
    Spiritual Atheist 33%
    Angry Atheist 17%

Theist 50%???? Er, I think these questions are a bit stupid ....

At least the website is telling me I'm not angry. Which is good because otherwise I would have thrown my PC out the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

You scored as a Militant Atheist.

Militant Atheist 83%
    Angry Atheist 67%
    Scientific Atheist 67%
    Agnostic 67%
    Apathetic Atheist 33%
    Spiritual Atheist 33%
    Theist 17%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Wicknight wrote:
    Theist 50%???? Er, I think these questions are a bit stupid
    :D, better do it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Jakkass wrote:

To me a militant atheists is someone who believes that belief in God is ultimately harmful and should be stopped by methods that ignore the civil rights of believers

For example I don't believe Richard Dawkins to be a militant atheists, where as I do think someone like Marx or Lenin were. While they all believed that religion was "a bad thing" (TM), how they go about convincing others is quite different

I would not consider myself a militant atheists, though I will (and have) argue with anyone that religion is ultimately a bad force in society. But I recongise that everyone has a right to believe what they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Scientific Atheist 100%
    Apathetic Atheist 67%
    Angry Atheist 50%
    Militant Atheist 42%
    Agnostic 42%
    Spiritual Atheist 42%
    Theist 0%

Just call me Un-godly McGodless :)

Advertisement