Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The unBelief-O-Matic!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Jakkass wrote:
    What exactly does one take from the word fundementalist though. One can be a fundementalist merely because they hold the fundemental principles of Christianity?

In the proper sense sense of the word a fundamentalist is one who would say that Christianity needs to go to the fundamentals of truth that are contained in the Bible.

In that sense I am a fundamentalist. Yet my bucket of beliefs that are necessary for salvation is quite small (basically the Apostles Creed), whereas someone else's bucket would be quite large and include no dancing, TV, Radio, movies, alcohol, etc, etc.

It is the latter group that gives fundamentalists the bad name, because they then want to ban things like dancing, drink9ing, TV, radio, movies because of the perceived dangerous influence of those. Also some are downright nutters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

You scored as a Spiritual Atheist
    Ah! Some of the coolest people in the world are Spiritual Atheists. Most of them weren't brought up in an organized religion and have very little baggage. They concentrate on making the world a better place and know that death is just another part of life. What comes after, comes after.

Spiritual Atheist

83%

Scientific Atheist

67%

Apathetic Atheist

67%

Agnostic

50%

Angry Atheist

42%

Militant Atheist

42%

Theist

17%

...cool

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Also some are downright nutters.

Remind me... Are you a Young-Earthist?

Zillah wrote:
    Remind me... Are you a Young-Earthist?

At this point in time, yes.

Not in the Apostles Creed, which means it is not in my bucket of fundamental beliefs necessary for Christianity. :)

At this point in time, yes.

And yet you'd call them nutters...

Probably why you never responded to my post about why the burden of proof is on the one the making the claim :D

EDIT:
    Thats the one - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055081730&page=9

• Advertisement

You scored as a Spiritual Atheist
    Ah! Some of the coolest people in the world are Spiritual Atheists. Most of them weren't brought up in an organized religion and have very little baggage. They concentrate on making the world a better place and know that death is just another part of life. What comes after, comes after.

Spiritual Atheist 100%

Scientific Atheist 92%

Agnostic 67%

Apathetic Atheist 50%

Angry Atheist 42%

Militant Atheist 25%

Theist 25%

Spiritual and scientist - that's me :)
    I'm not angry though =(

Zillah wrote:
    And yet you'd call them nutters...

Probably why you never responded to my post about why the burden of proof is on the one the making the claim :D

EDIT:
    Thats the one - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055081730&page=9

To be quite honest Zillah, I have read your posts and find there to be no reason to even entertain your comments or questions.

You have no desire to learn only to ridicule any one who doesn't share your belief system and world view. I find you to be one of the most closed and narrow minded people on this board.

And I say this quite politely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Scientific Atheist 67%
    Apathetic Atheist 58%
    Angry Atheist 50%
    Agnostic 42%
    Militant Atheist 33%
    Theist 25%
    Spiritual Atheist 25%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And for that we are grateful.

Imagine the headlines:
    "Christianity Mod banned from Atheism Forum for Abuse". :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You scored as a Apathetic Atheist
    Meh... whatever. Apathetic Atheists tend towards disbelief because believing takes more work. These are the people who won't argue religion, even if a total nutjob confronts them because arguing just seems like a waste of time they could spend doing something else.

Apathetic Atheist 92%
    Scientific Atheist 83%
    Angry Atheist 75%
    Spiritual Atheist 67%
    Theist 33%
    Agnostic 33%
    Militant Atheist 25%
    even if a total nutjob confronts them because arguing just seems like a waste of time they could spend doing something else

lol
    that would be so like me alright, why bother trying to argue with someone who is so totally nuts that you'd only be wasting your time when there's wine to be drank, or summit...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

To be quite honest Zillah, I have read your posts and find there to be no reason to even entertain your comments or questions.

You have no desire to learn only to ridicule any one who doesn't share your belief system and world view. I find you to be one of the most closed and narrow minded people on this board.

I think Zillah is simply pointing out that perhaps calling others "nutters" is a little strange when you yourself reject 200 years of modern science, instead choosing to believe that the entire universe is a couple of thousand years old and was created around Earth in 6 days for us (humans) to have something to look, at by an all powerful supernatural deity who has particular interest in us and 2000 years later will send his "son" in human form to Earth to be tortured to death by us so that he (the deity) can then forgive us for our sinful nature which he gave us in the first place.

Dawkins has a similar story in "The God Delusion" where he was present at a conversation between a theists over the religious beliefs of small south pacific island's tribes men. After being told the religious beliefs of this tribe one of the theists (and Anglican I think) rolled his eyes and said "Wow, just goes to show people will believe any nonsense", to which Dawkins was rather dumb struck and (in the book) recited a very humorous summary of what Christians actually believe which made the tribe men's beliefs seem quite reasonable.

The phrase "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones..." springs to mind BC ... from our point of view you guys are all nuts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Spiritual Atheist 67%
    Scientific Atheist 67%
    Apathetic Atheist 50%
    Militant Atheist 33%
    Theist 17%
    Agnostic 17%
    Angry Atheist 0%

Not bad, don't agree with the Theist or Agnostic thing at all but, meh! The test knows & sees all, all hail the test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Hurray I am Agnostic:
    "Agnostics consider the possibility that they may be wrong about God's existence, no matter which side of the fence they stand on. Always willing to objectively evaluate the most ridiculous proof, nevertheless, these guys are skeptics of the Nth degree.

Agnostic

92%

Spiritual Atheist

83%

Apathetic Atheist

75%

Scientific Atheist

50%

Militant Atheist

42%

Theist

33%

Angry Atheist

17% "

Wicknight wrote:

The phrase "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones..." springs to mind BC ... from our point of view you guys are all nuts :)

Heavens to Betsy, Really!!!! LOL

Honestly wicknight, I got a chuckle out of that.

What makes some fundamentalists really nutters is when one who is supposed to be on the same side sees them as such.

For you guys to see us all as nutters is to be fully expected.

Just glad we can laugh about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

You scored as a Scientific Atheist
    These guys rule. I'm not one of them myself, although I play one online. They know the rules of debate, the Laws of Thermodynamics, and can explain evolution in fifty words or less. More concerned with how things ARE than how they should be, these are the people who will bring us into the future.

Scientific Atheist

58%

Spiritual Atheist

58%

Agnostic

50%

Militant Atheist

25%

Apathetic Atheist

25%

Angry Atheist

25%

Theist

17%

I think I should interpret this as a "None of the above"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Scientific Atheist

92%
    Militant Atheist

83%
    Angry Atheist

83%
    Spiritual Atheist

75%
    Apathetic Atheist

50%
    Agnostic

17%
    Theist

17%

Theist? Agnostic?;)

While that might be a nice little personal attack there, you really are just ignoring a post that quite succinctly slams your whole world view. So its not suprising that you wouldn't deign to respond.

I've seen you respond to far more insulting and close-kinded posts before, so the only conclusion I can come to is that there is something beyond that that you don't wish to address. I wonder what that might be...
    For you guys to see us all as nutters is to be fully expected.

Wait....you expect intelligent/educated people to think you're insane? Surely that should make you doubt your position?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Zillah wrote:
    Wait....you expect intelligent/educated people to think you're insane? Surely that should make you doubt your position?

Don't Christians expect to be mocked, just like Jesus? Surely then this could only reinforce the views held by Brian in a clever little bit of positive feedback for his belief system. Tho some might call it a (self fulfilling) prophesy.

Zillah wrote:
    Who are these intelligent/educated people you speak of? Are they only to be found in certain forums? *

I should probably also say at this point it's not valid to assert that "everyone here" thinks Brian & Co are "nutters" without asking everyone here. (Yes I know wicknight said it first).

* I hate the word fora

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Who are these intelligent/educated people you speak of? Are they only to be found in certain forums? *

I should probably also say at this point it's not valid to assert that "everyone here" thinks Brian & Co are "nutters" without asking everyone here. (Yes I know wicknight said it first).

It seems unfair to run a poll...and the question is difficult to phrase properly. Do I think Christian fundamentalists are 'nutters'? Do I think Creationists are 'nutters'? Do I think the Christian fundamentalists on this board are 'nutters'?

Would I even use the term? Do I regard people who I consider so obviously mistaken as actually not sane?

I can definitely say that with a couple of exceptions, I don't even entertain the mildest ideas of 'nuttiness' about our Christian posters. Brian is definitely not one of those exceptions.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote:
    It seems unfair to run a poll...and the question is difficult to phrase properly.
    I wasn't suggesting a poll! I don't think that would help matters...
    Just making the point that there isn't a borg-like opinion that applies to everyone who posts here., e.g. that Christians like Brian are nutters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We are Borg, Christians are insane.
    Not quite the same effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I wasn't suggesting a poll! I don't think that would help matters...

A poll! That is a great idea ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Wicknight wrote:
    /smack.

Wicknight wrote:

A poll on an Atheist and Agnostics forum asking do you think Theists are nutters? Sounds obvious but that actually isn't that bad an idea.
    Would be interesting to see the attitudes that exist towards the spectrum of theists. Of course we'd need a poll in the various other religious fora. (yes, I said fora :p )

EDIT I don't mean the question should be phrased "nutters" just would you regard this particular group as:
    deluded yet happy
    harmless
    dangerous
    etc

Might get some more theistic posters here (after which I misunderstand their posts and shout at them :o:( )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

5uspect wrote:
    A poll on an Atheist and Agnostics forum asking do you think Theists are nutters?
    Well it begs two questions:
    1. What is a nutter?
    2. What's wrong with being a nutter?

I think the more nutters the better. By nutter I mean someone who is eccentric and not a danger to someone else's safety.

1. What is a nutter?
    Two very good points.
    To me a nutter could be someone who goes swimming in the Irish sea all year round.

And I still don't think a poll asking people what they think of "Theists" is a good idea. We all know what opinions are likened to... And lets face it in Ireland most those we know and love are theists, though we usually refer to them as "mum" or "dad", or "yes dear".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Reminds me of my poll about beliefs where I put all theist beliefs into 'other'. :D

1. What is a nutter?

I think the more nutters the better. By nutter I mean someone who is eccentric and not a danger to someone else's safety.

Obviously asking if they're nutters in not a good idea. But it would be interesting to see what the various faiths and non-faiths think of each other is the sense of trust, fear, ignorance and whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

5uspect wrote:
    Obviously asking if they're nutters in not a good idea. But it would be interesting to see what the various faiths and non-faiths think of each other is the sense of trust, fear, ignorance and whatnot.
    Interesting idea

Advertisement