Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The unBelief-O-Matic!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

5uspect wrote:
    Obviously asking if they're nutters in not a good idea. But it would be interesting to see what the various faiths and non-faiths think of each other is the sense of trust, fear, ignorance and whatnot.

Great idea 5uspect.

I officially fall into Atheist's category of 'nutter' as I can see myself in the Irish sea all year round, if I lived there. Now Culdaff was chilly in August.

Maybe my definition of nutter is off.

I see a difference between insanity and nuttiness. Insanity would be someone who is not of sound mind. Maybe not in control of their actions due to a mental disorder.

A nutter is one who makes a conscious choice to believe in something or do something that others would term ridiculous. Therfore if I were to go for a dip in the Irish Sea in January, Atheist would classify me as a nutter, however those who joined me in the adventure would see me as being quite rational and fun loving.

On the religious side, zillah and wicknight would see me as a nutter for believing on Jesus Christ as God incarnate *insert Apostles creed here*. Yet my Christian brethren would not see me as one.

There are certain denominations of Christians were their practices would seem to me to be nuts.

So, Tim, how are my definitions?

PS I thought flora were plants?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I would expect that the outcome of such a poll would be that we all have remarkably similar preconceptions of each other; us all being human. All the same ideas, just different words. Atheists thinking that the religious are likely to suicide bomb everyone at the least provocation while theists wondering how the subjective moralists prevent themselves from raping up the country.

A bit off topic, but I find myself reminded of a pedantic joke I heard ages ago: A physics class are doing an experiment where they measure the length of a pendulum and compare it to its period. The teacher asks the class "are you done with the pendula yet?" to which one student replies: "Yes; we are sitting on our ba, doing our sa" :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would expect that the outcome of such a pole would be that we all have remarkably similar preconceptions of each other; us all being human. All the same ideas, just different words. Atheists thinking that the religious are likely to suicide bomb everyone at the least provocation while theists wondering how the subjective moralists prevent themselves from raping up the country.
    After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

:)

Zillah wrote:
    And yet you'd call them nutters...

Probably why you never responded to my post about why the burden of proof is on the one the making the claim :D

EDIT:
    Thats the one - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055081730&page=9

I didn't respond due to the length and tone of the post. I get turned off when I see things like haha, he;s annihalated you, etc. I see someone who really is not interested in any answer.

Now do youwant to know why the burden of proof is on the one making the claim? quite simply, they are making a claim.

If someone were to state that there is no God, I would think that they have some sort of proof or method of thinking that would cause them to draw such a conclusion.

To come back with a statement, 'prove to me He exists', when the person asking for proof behind the comment of there being no god, never made any claim that there was a god, I find as being very weak.

What that person is saying is, 'I believe there to be no God because no one has proven His existence'. Yet that does not prove that there isn't one, just because this gentleman has yet to see proof.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I would expect that the outcome of such a pole would be that we all have remarkably similar preconceptions of each other; us all being human. All the same ideas, just different words. Atheists thinking that the religious are likely to suicide bomb everyone at the least provocation while theists wondering how the subjective moralists prevent themselves from raping up the country.

Yeah, I'd imagine we'd all come out as being relatively similar but with our respective preconceptions and prejudices. Still tho, might be a nice exercise in showing that we aren't all eating babies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Therfore if I were to go for a dip in the Irish Sea in January, Atheist would classify me as a nutter, however those who joined me in the adventure would see me as being quite rational and fun loving.
    Ironically the only off-time I'd swim in Ireland, is on the Christmas Day annual charity ball-shrinker swim.
    Knowing how cold the water is on Dec 25th allows me to classify those all year-rounders as nutters. :D

FTR I think I have given up completely on attempting to keep threads on topic.

you can't prove a topic exists!

5uspect wrote:
    you can't prove a topic exists!
    That all depends how you interpret the writings of this thread.
    Follow the gourd!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bugger the gourd. It's the Way of the Sandal!! Heretic!!

Whatever, just don't go near my juniper bushes again.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote:
    Whatever, just don't go near my juniper bushes again.

But it feeds us!!!!!!!!!

Last night at my daughters year end concert the show choir sang 'look on the bright side of life' whenever I hear that song I can't help but laugh.

Now thats definitely nuts! ;)
    Next you'll be telling us that John Lennon's Imagine is your all time favourite song.

I can't any reason why "Bright Side of Life" can't be sung and enjoyed by anyone.
    The lyrics are just funny, rather than being political.

I'll be humming that home on the train now.

5uspect wrote:
    Now thats definitely nuts! ;) .

And if I swam in the Irish Sea in January, I may not have any.
    5uspect wrote:
    Next you'll be telling us that John Lennon's Imagine is your all time favourite song.

No it got banned on WKRP.

No it got banned on WKRP.
    :eek: I hope your joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Scientific Atheist 75%
    Apathetic Atheist 50%
    Spiritual Atheist 33%
    Agnostic 17%
    Militant Atheist 8%
    Theist 8%
    Angry Atheist 8%

Probably accurate enough actually!

5uspect wrote:
    :eek: I hope your joking.

WKRP in Cincinnati was a televison show in the late 70's early 80's. It was quite funny. In one episode Herb, the salesman sole a chunk of advertising to a Jerry Falwell type organisation, that then leveraged their advert purchases into involvement in the programming schedule.

They would produce a list of songs not to be played, and Imagine was the song that finally gave the station backbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

What kind of atheist are you?
    You scored as a Scientific Atheist
    These guys rule. I'm not one of them myself, although I play one online. They know the rules of debate, the Laws of Thermodynamics, and can explain evolution in fifty words or less. More concerned with how things ARE than how they should be, these are the people who will bring us into the future.

Scientific Atheist

92%

Apathetic Atheist

67%

Spiritual Atheist

58%

Angry Atheist

50%

Militant Atheist

50%

Agnostic

33%