Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make my pc wireless

• 25-05-2007 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I want to move my pc into another room with no connection. I already have a wireless router for my work laptop, so do i need a wireless pc card for PC and where can i get one.

Thanks for ur help

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi guys,
    I want to move my pc into another room with no connection. I already have a wireless router for my work laptop, so do i need a wireless pc card for PC and where can i get one.

Thanks for ur help

Yes you need one (or a usb wireless dongle) and you can buy one in any computer shop worthy of the name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

if your to lazy to wait go into argoss and grab one of there belkin usb there or else peats on parnell square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

If you're not too comfortable with opening up your PC to slot in a wireless card you should instead opt for a USB wireless adaptor which simply plugs into any available USB 2.0 port.

If you opt for the plug in adaptor make sure it supports WPA encryption which provides far superior security to the now well broken WEP standard.

I recently picked up this one myself from belkin and can recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'm on a belkin usb dongle and it's getting 55 ping ,1.7 of a 2mb line on vista.
    That from a netopia router thats about ,100ft away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

i find pci wireless cards better than usb adapter, i've had both and had to plug unplug the usb adapter every time i booted the machine to get a signal, i thought it was a problem with the adapter so i brought it back to the shop where i was told this is just how they work, i changed it for a pci card and it works fine, auto connects on boot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

MooseJam wrote:
    i find pci wireless cards better than usb adapter, i've had both and had to plug unplug the usb adapter every time i booted the machine to get a signal, i thought it was a problem with the adapter so i brought it back to the shop where i was told this is just how they work, i changed it for a pci card and it works fine, auto connects on boot

With all due respects to your good self you were told absolute nonsense!! That is not how they work at all!

I was sceptical about the usbs for a long time simply on the basis of them 'sticking out' of the usb socket and maybe getting broken.
    However they do offer a great deal of flexibility. I moved a pc recently to a very awkward spot and the wireless pci card wasnt getting a good signal at all so I tried a usb wireless dongle on a usb extension lead and that gives me a great signal and I have never had to remove it and plug it back in again to get it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭ZiggyStardust

Thanks guys for the help. I bought a belkin pc card last night in pc world and it works perfectly. I bought the G+ as my router is upstairs. Not sure if I needed the G+ but it workd perfect.
    Thanks again.
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I use a Hercules USB dongle and it works great.
    Like a previous poster I was concerned about it sticking out and geeting broken so I got a 1m USB extension lead and plugged it into that. A dab of Blu-Tak holds it in place on the side of my desk and possible gets a slightly better signal than it would if it were buried down the back of the PC with behind the desk witha all the cables transformers etc.

There is also the advantage that it can be temporarily put on a friends/vistors laptop without messing about with your router as the mac number is already registered.

Advertisement