Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 International Engine of the Year Award

Options
  • 25-05-2007 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Results were out earlier this month. Don't think it has been posted here yet

Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

335i engine is supreme.Have had new E92 335 auto since Feb and it is one amazing car.:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice motor, 38psi :)

Interesting to see that even the small (1.6) engine developed for the MINI / Peugeot 207 gets the praise BMW normally get with their bigger engines. 175BHP out of such a small engine is pretty good going even for a turbo charged one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Should have gone to the 1.4Tsi as its going to have a greater impact from an application and environmental point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Wow.........you learn new things every day ! I never realised the 335i was twin turbo'd. What BHP is it ?

Also never knew the Mini/207 shared an engine !

Am I reading this right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Interesting that every engine on the list, except for the last one, is a German engine!

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote:
    Wow.........you learn new things every day ! I never realised the 335i was twin turbo'd. What BHP is it ?

\

306BHP afaik. Midrange power is amazing means keeping a close eye on the speedo.

Should have gone to the 1.4Tsi as its going to have a greater impact from an application and environmental point.

WHY:confused:

its going to have a greater impact from an application and environmental point.

The 1.4 Tsi going to be in every brand in the VAG group, so therefore will be more accessible to the masses, and in this day and age an engine that is smaller more efficient and cleaner should be applauded more than a twin turbo 3.0 guzzler.

There not really pushing the envelope here adding turbos to a 3.0 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ChowChow

MercMad wrote:

Yep, I have a 207 which was shares the same engine with the new Mini Cooper S. It was designed by BMW and built by PSA and uses a twin-scroll turbocharger effectively giving loads of torque from way down the rev range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The 1.4 Tsi going to be in every brand in the VAG group, so therefore will be more accessible to the masses, and in this day and age an engine that is smaller more efficient and cleaner should be applauded more than a twin turbo 3.0 guzzler.

Completely agree, putting turbos on a 3.0 engine is so bland and a non event I cant believe it came first.

Did someone say a twin turbo'd 3.0 engine is only putting out 306bhp. ha ha ha ha ha ha, that's crap. Now I am not a BMW hater or anything but that is pretty sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Peak torque comes in at 1300rpm in that engine! The 335i is only a 3 litre like the 335d so car tax is 1100 a year, not 1343euro for a 3.5 litre. Nice hidden touch that.

It seems that the judging panel did not share your point of view on what is the best engine. if you ever get a chance to take a drive in one you might see where they were coming from....

38psi wrote:
    It seems that the judging panel did not share your point of view on what is the best engine. if you ever get a chance to take a drive in one you might see where they were coming from....

Agreed. I have a copy of BMW car at home, reporting that despite 305bhp and a peak flat torque curve over the rev range from 1300 - 5500ish rpm, it still returns 29mpg on the combined cycle. Also, turbo lag is pretty much non existent apparently.

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Agreed. I have a copy of BMW car at home, reporting that despite 305bhp and a peak flat torque curve over the rev range from 1300 - 5500ish rpm, it still returns 29mpg on the combined cycle. Also, turbo lag is pretty much non existent apparently.

No turbo lag is right, mid range power fantastic and as long as you dont spend the day flooring the car its fairly ok on the juice.;) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well the engine is faster than BMWs own 540i(as it has more torque than it), it weighs 70 kg less than a V8 with similar performance, and it also has more torque than the new M3(in the sense that while both have 295 lb ft,the 335i's engine has it for a greater spread in the rev range). While the 330i has an engine thats two generations ahead(the 335i's engine is based on the 3 litre that came out in 2001(the M54 unit), there have been the N52(2005, with 258 or 265 bhp) and now N53 with 272 bhp this year subsequent to that) The 335i has 295 lb ft @ 1300 -4900 rpm, and the 330i has 272 bhp and 232 lb ft @ 2750-4750 rpm.

38psi you lucky fecker, what's that engine like?

Perhaps BMW might be persuaded to dump the 540i and replace it with the 535i, after all if the Yanks can have the 5 series with that engine, why cant the Europeans?

E92 wrote:
    Well the engine is faster than BMWs own 540i(as it has more torque than it), it weighs 70 kg less than a V8 with similar performance, and it also has more torque than the new M3. While the 330i has an engine thats two generations ahead(the 335i's engine is based on the 3 litre that came out in 2001(the M54 unit), there have been the N52(2005, with 258 or 265 bhp) and now N53 with 272 bhp this year subsequent to that) The 335i has 295 lb ft @ 1300 -4900 rpm, and the 330i has 272 bhp and 232 lb ft @ 2750-4750 rpm.

38psi you lucky fecker, what's that engine like?

Perhaps BMW might be persuaded to dump the 540i and replace it with the 535i, after all if the Yanks can have the 5 series with that engine, why cant the Europeans?
    Hi E92,
    The engine is the business.:D The tone from the exhaust is pretty cool. Car is fitted with the steering wheel paddle shifters which are a bit of a job to master .
    I reckon we will see the 535i sooner rather than later,would make a good alternative to the 335i

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Interesting that every engine on the list, except for the last one, is a German engine!

Maybe the germans released more new engines in recent months.

Also, afaik the 1.6 engine in position #6 is a PSA engine used by BMW, therefore its french.

Vegeta wrote:
    Completely agree, putting turbos on a 3.0 engine is so bland and a non event I cant believe it came first.

Did someone say a twin turbo'd 3.0 engine is only putting out 306bhp. ha ha ha ha ha ha, that's crap. Now I am not a BMW hater or anything but that is pretty sh1te

:rolleyes: Usable power is the key here not a bhp race.

The reason they went for twin turbos is to minimise turbo spool up time and get a wider power band.

I would have hedged a bet that the 335d / 535d engine would pop in somewhere, but no sign of it anywhere.

Side note: The 535d was faster around the track with the stig on TG as the RX8 and the 350Z and 0.2 seconds behine an NSX Type R. Nice.

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The 335d/535d 3L twin turbo was a winner in 2005 & 2006.
    http://www.ukintpress.com/engineoftheyear/previous04.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

....that explain it ! I was thinking about this last night and figured the panel based it upon something more than BHP. I planned to look up the torque curve and MPG figures today and compare to the M3.

You've saved me the bother...........ta !

Sounds like a lovely car 38PSI............best of luck with it and enjoy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

On the other hand, re the 535i, BMW are surley due to replace their V8s sometime soon. The current pair of V8s have been there for 5 years, which considering the rate at which BMW change their engines these days is an eternity, (long be with the days when the M20 and M30 lasted over 20 years, first introduced in the 60s and still going strong until BMW killed off the E30 convertable in 93), being first introduced in 2002, and they raised the capacity of the V8s about 2 years ago from 3.6 litres & 4.4 l to 4.0 and 4.8 l respectively. Maybe they don't want to offer the Europeans the 535i till they release a par of new V8s, which they won't be able to offer outside of Europe because they are too advanced for the quality of fuel sold outside of Europe, hence why the new straight 6's first introduced in the facelifted 5 series and 3 series convertable won't be offered outside of Europe, because of fuel quality issues(IIRC something to do with sulphur content, because the new straight 6's require Ultra Low Sulphur Petrol)

MercMad wrote:
    ....that explain it ! I was thinking about this last night and figured the panel based it upon something more than BHP. I planned to look up the torque curve and MPG figures today and compare to the M3.

Sounds like a lovely car 38PSI............best of luck with it and enjoy !

Cheers MercMad....
    It will certainly give the current M3 a good run for its money but the new model due out shortly will be a beast. I think the 335i is worth the price as I reckon the new M3 will be 100k plus... Ned78 might have the inside track on that info.

38psi wrote:

I'd say its some beast to drive, I dont want to know though as i'll never be able to afford one.! ( ;) envy as its a real bmw) I guess looking at the panel they are coming from a driving perspective, which I guess then for a 1.4 to come second against that isnt too bad.

MercMad wrote:

No worries dude.
    I'd say its some beast to drive, I dont want to know though as i'll never be able to afford one.! ( ;) envy as its a real bmw)

Dont worry too much or get too jealous about it. I had 90% of the fun around Mondello as a passenger in my brothers E30 318is as compared to an E46 M3 worth 15 times the price!

Advertisement