Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Happened to Sinn Fein!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

nikolaitr wrote:
    When did it start going right for them.

Their whole campaign was based around appealing to Celtic Jersey wearing youths who write "up the Ra" on walls.

:eek: Very interesting political observation are you sure your old enough to vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Anyone know how Dessie Ellis is getting on at the moment - last I heard he was struggling - thanks ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

mike65 wrote:
    Its not an Sinn Fein problem, all the parties except FF and FG have had crap elections as they have got squeezed by the big-boys. It became a simple battle in the minds of most voters.

Mike.

Your 100% correct Mike I was making the same point thing is we have a lot of SF bashere on here who can't see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

nikolaitr wrote:
    When did it start going right for them.

Their whole campaign was based around appealing to Celtic Jersey wearing youths who write "up the Ra" on walls.

couldnt agree more..thatll teach gerry a few lessons in politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

PH01 wrote:
    where has it all gone wrong for Sinn Fein?

Probably around the time their friends were murdering all those good innocent people...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Gob&#225 wrote: »
    Yes, share of the vote up, total number of seats probably up.:confused: Still, it's a disappointment - they'll only be in Government in the Northern part of the country rather than both parts. Still, that's one more part than Enda can boast of, I suppose.:D :D:D

Boast of what?
    Enda has almost 30% of the people behind him in the Republic of Ireland to the Shinners 6%.
    Probaly more when you take into account that
    Bertie's team would rather transfer to the blueshirts than Sinn Fein!
    Keep the North i say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Jon wrote:
    Well for NE Larry's results from the last locals and the results from Killian Ford put him in with a good shout of getting a LH seat. Larry in fairness is a trojan worker and has a superb team around him.

IMO yes a good amount of people have left who were members pre ceasefire, especially over policing. Basically the people who ran the election in 2002 are gone, including the organiser. For DSW a team was put in from outside as the local team were all over the place. This time round they did it themselves and lost over 2000 votes - questions have to be asked imo.

Jon, do you think there is a movement in SF to move away from their traditional grass roots support to gain a more mainstream audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

cant believe mary-lou didnt win a seat........*crys*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Larry O'Toole eliminated.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Aside from the S word, SF probably overtalked their chances a touch. Looking at how their support base and seats have grown this is not surprising. Considering that how many seats have been won by a handful of votes in elections, their confidence was a bit misplaced. They may also have face up to the fact that the voting public like looking at manifestos and real policies.

• Advertisement

SF have come very close in a lot of seats with young candidates, John Bowman quite rightly pointed this out, Sinn Fein may not have made big increases but they have grown their support and look to be building a young team of candidates that will only grow in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Disappointing to see FF back in but demise of SF brings can at least make me smile.

I think the fight has literally gone out of SF. To appeal to mainstream they have hidden their core policies which is what made them appeal to the loonie left. They were anti-Brits but gone into bed with them. U-turn on Corporation tax & perception they would increase taxes put off even working class people. Dick Roche removed the vote early vote often crowd from the register.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

god help this country if those bunch of bank robbers, thugs, murderers, extreme nationalist fascists ever get into power....if they do then...i'm out of here.

I tell you one thing Dick Roche is a good local Politican but he will be in big trouble over the register a lot and I mean a lot of people were denied votes and as I said above SF have a young team of members and are growing their vote, anyone who thinks SF have lost ground here need to look at the stats.

The major Parties have been gaining ground in this election and the very fact that Sinn Fein have increased their vote shows they are growing, they may not have increased as much as they wanted but neither did the Greens or Labour and they certainly haven't gone the same way as the PD's. Its just we have a load of people here trying to make out that Sinn Fein are failing.

The fact is anyone with any Political intelligence can see what has happened at this election and they can see Sinn Fein have done well in these conditions, although I think many people can't grasp that concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Beyond the explicit aim of a 32-county Ireland, what good policy does SF offer which one of the other parties don't? That's if I ignore my own misgivings with some other of their policies.

Beyond the explicit aim of a 32-county Ireland, what good policy does SF offer which one of the other parties don't? That's if I ignore my own misgivings with some other of their policies.
    I'm not a member of Sinn Fein I didn't even vote for them in this election or the last eclection so I don't think I am best placed to answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

irish1 wrote:
    I'm not a member of Sinn Fein I didn't even vote for them in this election or the last eclection so I don't think I am best placed to answer that.
    That was not directed at you?? I just wanted a Sinn Féin member to reply, yet the first reply is someone telling me they're not a member.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

1. No bin tax
    2. Bow to populist and union pressure always
    3. Increase social welfare payments to the point that lazy sods won't bother working.
    4. Free housing to said social welfare recipients eliminating the need for ambition.
    5. An end to "fat cats" taking all the loot.

I think the Political Intelligence I spoke about above is lacking in certain posts, people can't grasp the overall picture and see how this election is actually a good result for Sinn Fein. Perhaps in time posters will see what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

philstar wrote:
    god help this country if those bunch of bank robbers, thugs, murderers, extreme nationalist fascists ever get into power....if they do then...i'm out of here.
    Hmmmm, I see.......But........in the North of this country, the secret of getting the economy up and running, and lots of nice inward investment was to, ahem, get that "bunch of bank robbers, thugs, murderers, extreme nationalist fascists........into power" with the DUP. Funny, that:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    I think the Political Intelligence I spoke about above is lacking in certain posts, people can't grasp the overall picture and see how this election is actually a good result for Sinn Fein. Perhaps in time posters will see what I mean.

As in labour are a spent force, Green have failed to pick up the left vote...?

IMO working class people have decided that they like working & have abandoned the traditional "hand out" left wing parties which is why no mainstream support for SF.

SF had no policies for this election & Adams was shown up as waffler just like a lot of the media friendly shinners like Mary Lou. SF must have been the first party for years not to even attempt to cost their Manifesto...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I thought Sinn Fein had a pretty good election in the environment that was there. They showed quite large amounts of support in new areas and a lot of places where they didn't make a break through they got a decent number of votes and are, in my opinion, in a pretty good position to build from for the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

McSpud wrote:
    As in labour are a spent force, Green have failed to pick up the left vote...?

IMO working class people have decided that they like working & have abandoned the traditional "hand out" left wing parties which is why no mainstream support for SF.

SF had no policies for this election & Adams was shown up as waffler just like a lot of the media friendly shinners like Mary Lou. SF must have been the first party for years not to even attempt to cost their Manifesto...

:rolleyes:

No honestly it came down to Enda or Bertie and people did not have faith in Enda to do the job as such voting for a smaller party like SF became a risk that it was a vote that might allow Enda become Taoiseach people did not want to take that risk.
    This is the same factor that affected Labour/Greens and Independents the swing happened after the Leaders debate

You can roll your eyes all you want McSpud it won't add any argument to the post, the right wing PD's are the party that have lost out here Sinn Fein have increased their vote when small parties are being squeezed out, the right wing have lost out here not the right wing and no matter how many roll eyes you post the facts won't change.

nesf is saying exactly what I pointed out.

Voipjunkie wrote:
    No honestly it came down to Enda or Bertie and people did not have faith in Enda to do the job as such voting for a smaller party like SF became a risk that it was a vote that might allow Enda become Taoiseach people did not want to take that risk.

Enda would be Taoiseach if Labour could have increased their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

McSpud wrote:
    Enda would be Taoiseach if Labour could have increased their seats.

Thats why people did not vote for Labour either

Look at an area like Dublin North no returning FF tds they sold Aer lingus broke up Aer Rianta did not deliver the metro to the Airport should have been a cake walk for the opposition but FF vote is up on 2002.

The smaller parties got squeezed everywhere it is not the end of SF or the Greens or anyone else Hopefully the Labour Party will realise that the future is not in tying themselves to FG but building an alternative that does not include FFs twin separated at Birth.
    The Labour party are less than half the Labour/DL contingent of 10 years ago and they are continuing to fall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

irish1 wrote:
    Sinn Fein have increased their vote

well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Gob&#225 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I see.......But........in the North of this country, the secret of getting the economy up and running, and lots of nice inward investment was to, ahem, get that "bunch of bank robbers, thugs, murderers, extreme nationalist fascists........into power" with the DUP. Funny, that:rolleyes:

Which is financed by the cash cow called WESTMINSTER.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Sean Crowe should go independent next time if SF don't learn from the mistakes of this election.
    I've voted for them in the locals before because thats what they are good at but for they have a long way to go before they get my vote to run the country, and they proved that to me during this campaign.

They thought that "local" policies would carry them through to the general elections and I think that is were they lost out big time.

Its a shame for people like Sean Crowe,since to be honest he played a major part in developing new, "middle class" estates in Tallaght, indeed bringing it to a habitable place, which are now settled and beyond their car steeling and development issues mainly due to Crowe being very active in the area. I'm gutted for him personally.

Unfortunately a good candidate seems to have suffered at the hands of his own completely unprepared party. I mean, if they had of asked me, I could have planned their campaign better. So..very.. surprised at them.

They seriously need to get their **** together for the next general election and get a think-tank together to be a real competitor. Wait and see though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement