Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry Day for Ireland

Options
  • 25-05-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Giving the way things are looking so far with the tallies, i personnaly think it is a sad day for Ireland that Fianna Fail and Bertie Ahern are back for another term.

We can now look forward to more public project mis-management, hospital privatisation (only Bertie and his rich friends will soon be able to attend), better tax breaks (again!) for the highest paid, more wonderful roads and less public transport (and no, the metro is always 3 years behind!! (see project mis-management)), more political corruption, developer corruption, greed, "The money was only resting in my briefcase" (Father Ted) oops, i mean Bertie Ahern, and we'll throw in a little bit of sucking up to aul George Bush.

While I certainly am not naive enough to think that there is a perfect goverment out there, one who can correctly manage the vast issues and money while keeping everyone happy, I believe that most could do it a damn sight better than Fianna Fail have done.

FG are not a perfect answer, but at least they would have had a bit of interest and drive in running the country for a while, rather than FF sitting on their comfortable laurels. They've lost interest, like most people lose interest in things after 10 years!!

I know of not ONE SINGLE PERSON who voted FF, but yet it seems they have a near 50% take on the votes???? Is it the same "set in their ways, regardless" (older) people carrying this? mixed with the low youth turnout ??

I am really amazed that the irish people can be soo happy with the current governmetns performance that they want them back for another term.

I'm going to stop here, because this will probably be deleted.
    Sorry for the rant, just.....Grrrrrr!!!

Ian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

I'm 22 and I voted for three FF and one indo.

They are the best of a bad lot by a long shot!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ianhobo wrote:
    I know of not ONE SINGLE PERSON who voted FF, but yet it seems they have a near 50% take on the votes???? Is it the same "set in their ways, regardless" (older) people carrying this? mixed with the low youth turnout ??

Why do you think Bertie wanted a thursday vote??
    Its the day for drawing the pension so while they are out they might aswell vote!! Students and young workers travelling all over the country working means they chose not to vote because they were busy etc!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

sorry to hear you're so unhappy.
    actually, on second thoughts, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

ianhobo wrote:
    I am really amazed that the irish people can be soo happy with the current governmetns performance that they want them back for another term.

I really don't understand why people are "amazed" at that.
    Most people (yes, definitely most) are much better off now than they were 10 years ago, very simple.

The individual's bottom line seems to be the main "issue".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I'm on your side OP so are all my friends. The only young people I've encountered who have voted FF are rich kids or they have family affiliations which is the same as being rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

ianhobo wrote:

Hi, I'm GUK, a 28 year old man who voted for FF this time. Nice to meet you.

There you go, you know me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

27 and I voted for FF & Labour.

It was very close for me, but in the end I couldn't justify Enda Kenny as leader of our country. It would be like voting in a personality like Pat Kenny!

The opposition parties campaign was all about negativity, without putting coherent policies forward themselves, and the alliance for change seemed to be a recipe for disaster. I choose to stick with a government that has delivered on one of the most important factors, the economy, and was willing to give them a chance to make things right with regards to health & crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

I came in here expecting this ridiculous level of commentary and am not dissapointed.

It must have been the stupid people who voted Fianna fail ,how could they do such a ridiculous thing ?I know so much better - why can the population not see what I see, that type of juvenile stuff.
    Significant elements of the media must also be feeling the same way .
    They felt they could lead this ludicrous "mood for change" .

In a democracy ,the people have voted and made clear their decision .
    Live with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

jonny24ie wrote:
    Its the day for drawing the pension so while they are out they might aswell vote!! Students and young workers travelling all over the country working means they chose not to vote because they were busy etc!!

Wow, conspiracy theories ahoy.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

ok, but did you vote for those 3 FF because of their personal performance as local representatives for you? Or for the good of the FF party?
    That is something that is hard to seperate (for me personally anyway).
    But of course, I can't speak about your FF representatives, only my own, and those that one would hear about in the media etc
    One of my FF reps is a complete waste of space, totally looking in the wrong direction imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Boards is dripping with bitterness today! People are being a bit melodramatic!

I'm not surprised at this result tbh - most people I talked to about the campaign were not convinced that FG and Labour would make a good government tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

I wouldnt consider myself old either. Pleased to meet you.

I really , really wanted to vote for an alternative to FF/PD but the opposition just werent doing it for me. I think they lost the plot totally in the last few weeks and i'm sorry but i just couldnt do it.
    Sadly i had to go for the lesser of 2 evils, but i did want the PDs gone. Wouldnt mind the greens taking their place.

I think a lot of people decided to get rid of the PDs too, but not necessarilyrid of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was out with some friends last night. We are all 23/24, only 2 dubliners and all just a year out of college.

2 from Kilkenny, 1 from Wexford, 1 from Roscommon. Didn't vote because they are all registered back home. The other lad from Laois did because he is currently working back home.

How many student votes are lost because of this thursday voting scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

I'm on your side OP so are all my friends. The only young people I've encountered who have voted FF are rich kids or they have family affiliations which is the same as being rich.

Oh dear.....Ok I'm from Swords, middle of the road town and I'm not rich! I voted FF coz they are the only party with balls!

Yes you wanted FG and Labour....two parties with conflicting policies? Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

They have between 39-41% of the vote (depending on Garret's analysis and the exit poll). They won't have an overall majority and they did well within the rules of the game (which we all agreed to) and fair play to them. The people have spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

jonny24ie wrote:

Myself and 2 of my mates drove home to Louth and Monaghan yesterday evening to vote and we're all between 25 and 26. That's a lame excuse!! There were free return buses to Louth and Monaghan yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crazymike

Hi Ian,

I couldn't agree more with you. It really is a sad day for Ireland. I can only conclude that people in this country are afraid of political change. Again we will most likely see a party, which is tainted by corruption, governing us for the next 5 years. God bless all of us who need a hospital visit in future or who are thinking of buying a house. I am really angry, but I suppose they were voted in again "democratically". This election is making me sick already and it just can't get out of my head why people vote the same shower in all the time.

A prime minister of any other European nation, who states that "health is a peripheral issue" when it quite clearly isn't would have been voted out. Can you also imagine Gordon Brown accepting money from a whipround after holding a speech? People in the UK would have asked for his resignation.......over here in Ireland though, "aah, fair play to him for being so clever, I would have done the same". Shameful really........

I am not saying that everyone should be dammed who voted Fianna Fail, it's up to you who you vote for, but I think more people should have done their homework in regards to this election. Sorry, I'm just really pissed off and angry that again we have to put up with the same cocky and arrogant shower. The saddest thing of all is that people will be complaining in a few months time over government policies. At this stage I would even emigrate up North.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i voted FF/PD as did most of my friends, work colleagues, we're all 24-27, ucd/trinity graduates in the acc/law professions.

we have enough sense to see the good the govt has done and not desire change for changes sake which the whole oppostion was built one

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Hi, I'm GUK, a 28 year old man who voted for FF this time. Nice to meet you.

There you go, you know me now.

Ha Ha Nice to meet you :)

Too many other posts to reply too, but to BEMMET, me posting my own feelings are not Juenile (however maybe i shouldnt have labelled that all of Ireland follow my feelings), but I am speaking of my opinions and those of my friends, which for me is 100% of everyone I know not voting FF, so obviously I little shocked that the rest of the country is so different given my own independent sample ;)

Democracy? Yeah, a 62% democracy........think about it.....

with FF getting less than 50% of that.......31%.... is it still the majroity?? i belive that is now 70% who DO NOT want FF ....hmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

How long have people had to check the register and register where they were going to be on election day.

Whatever day it was going to be called on, it would be more sensible to register where you currently live during the week.

Those who didnt take steps to ensure they got to vote, whether at home or where they are in college, just p1ssed their vote away and didnt deserve to vote never mind about complaining about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I'm a little older than most of the posters here.
    I also voted FF because it made sense.

daveirl wrote:
    LoL so true.
    They could all have voted where they lived.
    Even commuters had a good chance with the 1030 close and the turnout is well up on 02.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

the people are getting the government they have voted for and deserve.

they have voted for standing still in life and for thinking that things are going to stay great forever even though all the signs are that thanks to mis-management from the outgoing government, it will not be. they are thinking only of themsleves and not the country as a whole.

well good luck and goodbye - i am leaving the country i love and going somewhere (anywhere) where i know life will be better than in this f**ked up excuse for a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

ianhobo wrote:
    Giving the way things are looking so far with the tallies, i personnaly think it is a sad day for Ireland that Fianna Fail and Bertie Ahern are back for another term.

We can now look forward to more public project mis-management, hospital privatisation (only Bertie and his rich friends will soon be able to attend), better tax breaks (again!) for the highest paid, more wonderful roads and less public transport (and no, the metro is always 3 years behind!! (see project mis-management)), more political corruption, developer corruption, greed, "The money was only resting in my briefcase" (Father Ted) oops, i mean Bertie Ahern, and we'll throw in a little bit of sucking up to aul George Bush.

While I certainly am not naive enough to think that there is a perfect goverment out there, one who can correctly manage the vast issues and money while keeping everyone happy, I believe that most could do it a damn sight better than Fianna Fail have done.

FG are not a perfect answer, but at least they would have had a bit of interest and drive in running the country for a while, rather than FF sitting on their comfortable laurels. They've lost interest, like most people lose interest in things after 10 years!!

I'm going to stop here, because this will probably be deleted.
    Sorry for the rant, just.....Grrrrrr!!!

Ian

My sentiments exactly. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

There was a postal vote as well!! Maybe the students were too busy with exams to arrange that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    How many student votes are lost because of this thursday voting scheme?
    Quite alot, I'd imagine.

But that's mainly because they couldn't be bothered to register for a postal vote. If they wanted to, they could have. It took me all of 20 mins to sort it all out, mainly because I give a damn.

Don't complain if you didn't try.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement