Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry Day for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Smarmore wrote:
    There was a postal vote as well!! Maybe the students were too busy with exams to arrange that though.

The final day for Postal voting applications was May 1st.
    The election was called april 29th (now give or day a day or two on my dates)
    That gives, reasonably, no realistic time to register for postal votes. My brother lives abroad (since January) and was not able to register in time, and he didnt delay about it!

And to the Law graduate form trinity (oh the stereotype ha ha) what about FF "makes sense". You think they have done more good, than bad? Or that their good outways their bad? Please explain for me...
    (and I dont mean how the top earners got TWO tax breaks in the lat 5 years...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I R DA Student (in the middle of Final year exams no less) and I voted Fianna Fail. Tbh the shear level of stupidity of alot of Anti Fianna Fail group would put most off being truthful about how you voted. You're either made to feel stupid of selfish if you say you voted for FF, by some of the more "enlightened" posters.

Pleb: "What do you mean you voted for FF, don't you care about the Dolphins and mother earth, and Jesus"

Me: "No get away from me hippy".

Pleb: "Try some tofu"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

All I hope is that all the ones that voted FF will experience the health service and all the other cock ups that have been perpetrated on the Irish people over last 10 years.

Maybe they will get to see one of their love ones sitting on a hospital trolley for days or get to see one of their elderly relatives waste away in a crap nursing home that has been built and run by one of the private health care contributors that are in for the tax breaks.

Maybe they will get to spend 4 hours a day in traffic and eventually make their way home to their negative equity in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe they will see one of the loved ones get the crap beat out of them or worse still be killed because they happen to be working in the wrong house.

How can anybody say the other crowd are worse when they are not even given a chance?
    And we laugh at the Americans voting George Bush in.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

irishash wrote:
    the people are getting the government they have voted for and deserve.

they have voted for standing still in life and for thinking that things are going to stay great forever even though all the signs are that thanks to mis-management from the outgoing government, it will not be. they are thinking only of themsleves and not the country as a whole.

well good luck and goodbye - i am leaving the country i love and going somewhere (anywhere) where i know life will be better than in this f**ked up excuse for a country.

Cheerio.

• Advertisement

ianhobo wrote:
    That gives, reasonably, no realistic time to register for postal votes. My brother lives abroad (since January) and was not able to register in time, and he didnt delay about it!

You know, most colleges in Ireland are currently outside term time.

And to the Law graduate form trinity (oh the stereotype ha ha) what about FF "makes sense". You think they have done more good, than bad? Or that their good outways their bad? Please explain for me...
    (and I dont mean how the top earners got TWO tax breaks in the lat 5 years...)

It's like this, I'd like a job sometime in the next five years. I did it for the money. Also I'm an engineering student from trinity

Boston wrote:
    I R DA Student (in the middle of Final year exams no less) and I voted Fianna Fail. Tbh the shear level of stupidity of alot of Anti Fianna Fail group would put most off being truthful about how you voted. You're either made to feel stupid of selfish if you say you voted for FF, by some of the more "enlightened" posters.

Pleb: "What do you mean you voted for FF, don't you care about the Dolphins and mother earth, and Jesus"

Me: "No get away from me hippy".

Pleb: "Try some tofu"

Well Boston unless you are going to work in construction industry or with public service good luck.
    Or maybe you are one of the economists that keeps feeding the populace the crap that our economy is the best one in Europe?
    I wouldn't bet on having an engineering job in 5 years if you are electronic or computer engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

daveirl wrote:

of course he is allowed to vote - he is still an IRISH CITIZEN !!!!

just because he is not in the country right now does not mean he cannot vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ComeOnMeath

Well I guess everyone has their own reason for voting, some intelligent, some downright silly. I personally have voted FF for most of my voting life, but this time I voted FG/Lab. I thought long about it and couldn't get away from the fact that I have personal experience of seeing family very ill on a trolley, I have personal experience of not being able to get my kids into the local primary schools, I have personal experience of the train that I have to squash myself onto everyday as we try squeeze a record number of trains onto the tracks, I have personal experience of my other half’s family fall apart because of drug/crime issues, whilst another is mentally ill with no help available. I firmly believe that when Charlie told Bertie to get the economy right he stopped listening b4 he finished the sentence. Right now I believe in keep the economy afloat get the foolish vote. People by nature are greedy, and I don’t think they are looking past their big toes. However on the plus side we pretty much know what to expect, more of the same. This election reminds me of George Bush getting re-elected, the Yanks were in fear, so are we, of losing the money in our pockets. Ah well..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jmayo wrote:
    Well Boston unless you are going to work in construction industry or with public service good luck.
    Or maybe you are one of the economists that keeps feeding the populace the crap that our economy is the best one in Europe?

oh and i suppose you have a credible alternative point of view, id love to hear about how bad our economy is.

if things have been good for the past decade why are they going to suddenly become worse because we didnt change govt :confused:

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:

Well, there seems to be a fine line...Students studying abroad can apply, however, someone "living" abroad cannot

"You may also be eligible for a postal vote if you cannot go to a polling station because:
    -you are studying full time at an educational institution away from your home address where you are registered

jmayo wrote:
    All I hope is that all the ones that voted FF will experience the health service and all the other cock ups that have been perpetrated on the Irish people over last 10 years.

Maybe they will get to see one of their love ones sitting on a hospital trolley for days or get to see one of their elderly relatives waste away in a crap nursing home that has been built and run by one of the private health care contributors that are in for the tax breaks.

I've VHI and public private partnership schemes for that.
    Maybe they will get to spend 4 hours a day in traffic and eventually make their way home to their negative equity in the middle of nowhere

I've the Luas for that.
    Maybe they will see one of the loved ones get the crap beat out of them or worse still be killed because they happen to be working in the wrong house.

Aint FG and Labour the ones that brough in that I can't kick the crap out of someone who comes into my home to kill me.

How can anybody say the other crowd are worse when they are not even given a chance?
    And we laugh at the Americans voting George Bush in.

I tell yea what, when Irish lads start coming back in body bags, I'll agree with yea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

ianhobo wrote:

They could have ensured that they could vote at any time. Did they not know that there was going to be an election this year?
    Nobody, who didnt vote has any right to complain that they didnt get a vote, or any right to complain about the vote ,others who cared enough to make sure that their vote counted.

with the exception of those who lost their vote through administrative fukc ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well I guess everyone has their own reason for voting, some intelligent, some downright silly. I personally have voted FF for most of my voting life, but this time I voted FG/Lab. I thought long about it and couldn't get away from the fact that I have personal experience of seeing family very ill on a trolley, I have personal experience of not being able to get my kids into the local primary schools, I have personal experience of the train that I have to squash myself onto everyday as we try squeeze a record number of trains onto the tracks, I have personal experience of my other half’s family fall apart because of drug/crime issues, whilst another is mentally ill with no help available. I firmly believe that when Charlie told Bertie to get the economy right he stopped listening b4 he finished the sentence. Right now I believe in keep the economy afloat get the foolish vote. People by nature are greedy, and I don’t think they are looking past their big toes. However on the plus side we pretty much know what to expect, more of the same. This election reminds me of George Bush getting re-elected, the Yanks were in fear, so are we, of losing the money in our pockets. Ah well..

I asked my friend who is fairly well-off who he was voting for and he said the following: "I'm voting Fianna Fail because it means more money in my pocket". He went on to say most people may grumble but in the end will stick with fianna fail for the very same reason.

Cyrus wrote:
    oh and i suppose you have a credible alternative point of view, id love to hear about how bad our economy is.

if things have been good for the past decade why are they going to suddenly become worse because we didnt change govt :confused:

Well dream on ifg you think negative equity is not going to visit Ireland and all the money that could have been used for good during the good times was pissed away by Bertie and Martin and dick.

I'm coming very close to banning a lot of people.
    Be aware of this.

jmayo wrote:
    I wouldn't bet on having an engineering job in 5 years if you are electronic or computer engineer.

Electronic and Computer Engineering infact. I suggest you shut up about something you know nothing about.

"Computers, thats like IT yea?"

Given what you said, and I found similar info, it IS possible for my brother vote. anyway....

BOSTON, I'm an engineer too, Hounours Degree Computer Engineering (Top of my class), Masters in Telecommunications Engineering, and currently not in a related field of employment. So best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I couldn't have put it better myself, right down to voting FF 1&2 last time anf going FG/LAB yesterday.

• Advertisement

ianhobo wrote:
    Given what you said, and I found similar info, it IS possible for my brother vote. anyway....

BOSTON, I'm an engineer too, Hounours Degree Computer Engineering (Top of my class), Masters in Telecommunications Engineering, and currently not in a related field of employment. So best of luck to you.

IANHOBO (it seems to be the trend) amazing that I've applied for 4 jobs in the communications industry, got the first one I went for, and received 3 requests for an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

ianhobo wrote:
    Giving the way things are looking so far with the tallies, i personnaly think it is a sad day for Ireland that Fianna Fail and Bertie Ahern are back for another term.

We can now look forward to more public project mis-management, hospital privatisation (only Bertie and his rich friends will soon be able to attend), better tax breaks (again!) for the highest paid, more wonderful roads and less public transport (and no, the metro is always 3 years behind!! (see project mis-management)), more political corruption, developer corruption, greed, "The money was only resting in my briefcase" (Father Ted) oops, i mean Bertie Ahern, and we'll throw in a little bit of sucking up to aul George Bush.

While I certainly am not naive enough to think that there is a perfect goverment out there, one who can correctly manage the vast issues and money while keeping everyone happy, I believe that most could do it a damn sight better than Fianna Fail have done.

FG are not a perfect answer, but at least they would have had a bit of interest and drive in running the country for a while, rather than FF sitting on their comfortable laurels. They've lost interest, like most people lose interest in things after 10 years!!

I know of not ONE SINGLE PERSON who voted FF, but yet it seems they have a near 50% take on the votes???? Is it the same "set in their ways, regardless" (older) people carrying this? mixed with the low youth turnout ??

I am really amazed that the irish people can be soo happy with the current governmetns performance that they want them back for another term.

I'm going to stop here, because this will probably be deleted.
    Sorry for the rant, just.....Grrrrrr!!!

Ian
    I agree with everything you said. No one I know admits to voting for FF. You get the gov you deserve and we muppets have FF - great. And yes after 10yrs I do think that FG could have done a better job this time round. I told my parents not to vote for FF (did they listen - I doubt it) but then again they are not stuck on the M50 every night for hours on end, then again neither am I at the moment but that is not the point. 100000 cars a day are and this country is a mess and we still vote them in. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jmayo wrote:
    Well dream on ifg you think negative equity is not going to visit Ireland and all the money that could have been used for good during the good times was pissed away by Bertie and Martin and dick.

well put together argument, you have me convinced :rolleyes:

Boston wrote:
    I've VHI and public private partnership schemes for that.
    I've the Luas for that.

Aint FG and Labour the ones that brough in that I can't kick the crap out of someone who comes into my home to kill me.

I tell yea what, when Irish lads start coming back in body bags, I'll agree with yea.

Well keep paying the big VHI contributions when all other options leave the Irish market.
    Good luck if you go with or without your VHI to an A&E, you still take a ticket and wait.
    Or maybe you have rich Dad that takes you to Private hospital.

Yes FG/Lab want a person to have ability to protect themselves in their home.
    Bertie states that crime is down but what about the young guy killed in house he was working in because we now have hitmen wandering the streets of our cities.

So you are one of the lucky ones that lives along the Luas, you have VHI and you are happy.
    Why don't you just admit "I am alright jack" so fcuk the rest of you.
    That makes for a nice society alright.

Come back to us after you have lived in the real world and not just in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

I dont believe things are as black and white as some are suggestion. The country needs improvement and it needs to be worked on. I dont believe the people i voted for have done the best job they could have and i am expectinf improvements from them, but i just couldnt see the alternative doing a good job either.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

dear boston,

a little letter from some other people in ireland

we all do not live on or near a luas line. we do not all have private health insurance. we all could not afford to go to college.

some people in ireland are barely getting by. some people in ireland when they go to a hospital spend days on a trolley and get worse by going to the hospital as a consequence. some people in ireland hoped for a change because then something might have been done to solve some of the countries problems, instead of getting a government that says nothing is wrong in this country.

Hang on a second.
    I live in the real world...

I pay VHI

As for the I'm alright jack ... most people seem to be saying that going on the results so far.

Less angst here or sensationalism.

Boston wrote:
    IANHOBO (it seems to be the trend) amazing that I've applied for 4 jobs in the communications industry, got the first one I went for, and received 3 requests for an interview.

well good for you, (trend? your obvious wit goes beyond me)

Out of a class 3 years ago of 15 graduating engineers, 1 has a related job, Embedded software engineer.
    While I am now a highly paid member of the "IT" community, a senior developer and manager, non the less, Ireland is not, and never has been the place (i think) for computer engineering related work
    and again, congrats to you

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    well put together argument, you have me convinced :rolleyes:

Cyrus can you seriously tell me that we are the one country in the world that will not have a property bubble burst?
    Can you say that the outgoing government have not wasted millions that could have been properly spent to make peoples lives and prospects better.

Are you seriously saying we have very strong economy where 20% of males employed are in construction industry. there are now more people employed in construction than manufacturing for God's sake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement