Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry Day for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ComeOnMeath

An interesting question to put to people is why they have voted Fianna Fail. I'm not looking for petty snipes at each other, but an insight into why people voted the same people back in. Perhaps to satisfy my own curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Daveirl I have never said it was only old people that voted FF.
    ACtually I know a lot of old people that would never vote for them and ones that previously would have, but no longer after they have spent few nights on trolleys.
    Do not attribute something top me that I never said!

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Cyrus wrote:
    i voted FF/PD as did most of my friends, work colleagues, we're all 24-27, ucd/trinity graduates in the acc/law professions.
    And in about 3 years time ye will be driving a SUV. Good man! God help us for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cyrus wrote:
    oh and i suppose you have a credible alternative point of view, id love to hear about how bad our economy is.

if things have been good for the past decade why are they going to suddenly become worse because we didnt change govt :confused:

The economy will experience a decline in the future regardless of who is in power. As you well know- or do you?- neither Fianna Fail or the Opposition is really responsible for the economy doing good or bad. It appears you believe with Fianna Fail in power they'll steer be able to steer us safely through any future turbulence. Unlike the opposition who won't have any economic advisers and civil servants within the department of finance to call on :rolleyes:

dodgyme wrote:
    And in about 3 years time ye will be driving a SUV. Good man! God help us for the future.

Well FF have been gopod for the law professions, how many millionaires out of the tribunals have there been?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

jmayo wrote:
    Well keep paying the big VHI contributions when all other options leave the Irish market.

Ha, the only ones more retarded then FF when it comes to the free market and goverment involvment is the opposition.
    Or maybe you have rich Dad that takes you to Private hospital.
    Thats the one, hammer nail head.

Yes FG/Lab want a person to have ability to protect themselves in their home.

Sorry did you just ignore my point. They're the ones that made it so I'm the criminal if i kick the **** out of someone who breaks into my house.
    Bertie states that crime is down but what about the young guy killed in house he was working in because we now have hitmen wandering the streets of our cities.

What about the Five other killings around the same time.
    So you are one of the lucky ones that lives along the Luas, you have VHI and you are happy.
    Why don't you just admit "I am alright jack" so fcuk the rest of you.
    That makes for a nice society alright.

Your problem is that you expected differently. Have you ever said to yourself, maybe I'll vote FF, it will make my neighbours life better? No? Then don't preach boyo. Voting is an utterly selfish act.
    Come back to us after you have lived in the real world and not just in college.

Come back when you're a little less deluded and naive about how the real world works.

"But I thought everyone would vote the way I wanted, don't they know I'm always right".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

An interesting question to put to people is why they have voted Fianna Fail. I'm not looking for petty snipes at each other, but an insight into why people voted the same people back in. Perhaps to satisfy my own curiosity.

Sorry for Quoting you twice but your previous post has already answered this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

PCros wrote:
    Oh dear.....Ok I'm from Swords, middle of the road town and I'm not rich! I voted FF coz they are the only party with balls!

Yes you wanted FG and Labour....two parties with conflicting policies? Good stuff!

I guess you're right. People get only the government they deserve. I don't know why it bothers you what I said because its just my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

irishash wrote:
    dear boston,

a little letter from some other people in ireland

we all do not live on or near a luas line. we do not all have private health insurance. we all could not afford to go to college.

some people in ireland are barely getting by. some people in ireland when they go to a hospital spend days on a trolley and get worse by going to the hospital as a consequence. some people in ireland hoped for a change because then something might have been done to solve some of the countries problems, instead of getting a government that says nothing is wrong in this country.

dear Irishash

I've yet to meet someone that could not afford to go to college.

Yours Truely Boston.

jmayo wrote:
    Well FF have been gopod for the law professions, how many millionaires out of the tribunals have there been?
    True I am not anti FF, but I take Dublin west, where there should be 4 TDs because of the population rule in the constitution. The census figure were not taken into account and this denies Dublin West another representative in the Dail which it bl**dy well needs. Not if FF looked like taking 2 seats here I would say there would be a different story instead there will be Brain Lenihan FF, and 3 others battling for the final 2 seats. Bare in mind the other 3 are Joan Burton Lab, Joe Higgins Soc and Leo Vadakar FG, 3 very strong candidates, one of which is going to be denied a seat, unfairly if you ask me but FF are happy with this - it suits them since they would be unable to get a 2nd TD. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ComeOnMeath

Sorry for Quoting you twice but your previous post has already answered this question.

Yes I know Nacho ;)

Just thought Id ask anyhow, I figured the silence might be deafening! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I cant wait for this thread to get sent to the Thunderdome.

Boston wrote:
    Ha, the only ones more retarded then FF when it comes to the free market and goverment involvment is the opposition.

Your problem is that you expected differently. Have you ever said to yourself, maybe I'll vote FF, it will make my neighbours life better? No? Then don't preach boyo. Voting is an utterly selfish act.

Come back when you're a little less deluded and naive about how the real world works.

"But I thought everyone would vote the way I wanted, don't they know I'm always right".

Yes, maybe I did expect people to have the cop to see the crap they have been fed over last 10 years but I guess I was over optimist.
    I guess a better society doesn't matter to most Irish people.

Maybe your choice of nickname is apt. We are more Boston than Berlin.

Lets have a two tier society, where there is one group that do live near the Luas or Dart, can afford private health care, who will drive suvs, who can afford to go to college, as for the rest, they can fcuk themselves or maybe like their forefathers take a boat or plane to a better life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Boston wrote:
    dear Irishash

Yours Truely Boston.

I couldnt and my family couldnt afford to support me.

I worked straight after leaving cert and now im paying for college myself at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

irishash wrote:
    well good luck and goodbye - i am leaving the country i love and going somewhere (anywhere) where i know life will be better than in this f**ked up excuse for a country.

You obviously don't love your country enough to stay and fight for what you believe, so no real lose there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Boston wrote:

I was just thinking that myself.

I come from a very much working class background myself, my parents never had much money. Yet I was able to go to college, due to free fee's, got the grant, worked a night/weekend job for extra expenses, got a great degree and now I have a very nice solid middle class job.

I work with a lot of folk in the US who are shocked at this as they had to pay over $120,000 (excluding living expenses) to get a similar education.

humanji wrote:
    You obviously don't love your country enough to stay and fight for what you believe, so no real lose there.

Not nice - he is right and you are wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Boston wrote:

I'm putting my hand up here.
    My family couldnt afford to send me to college.
    I know lots in the same situation too. Depends where you are from.
    I eventually did go - several years after i left school, but through my own steam and it was hard to make happen. Brothers and sisters never got the opportunity at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

BeatNikDub wrote:
    I couldnt and my family couldnt afford to support me.

I worked straight after leaving cert and now im paying for college myself at night.

So you are going to college...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

bk wrote:
    I was just thinking that myself.

I come from a very much working class background myself, my parents never had much money. Yet I was able to go to college, due to free fee's, got the grant, worked a night/weekend job for extra expenses, got a great degree and now I have a very nice solid middle class job.

But where do you live??? you obviously live very close to a university or institute of tech.

fair enough you got the grant but there are families that are just above the cut off point for the grant and they get ZILCH from the government. Due to this they cannot afford to send their children to university. I know of someone who would've been in this situation had they have not moved house closer to a university

• Advertisement

TCollins wrote:
    I'm putting my hand up here.
    My family couldnt afford to send me to college.
    I know lots in the same situation too. Depends where you are from.
    I eventually did go, but through my own steam and it was hard to make happen. Brothers and sisters never got the opportunity at all.

On your side here - I think peoples background make a big difference in this debate. Boston is living in cuckoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

boston,

i could not afford to go to college - father had a state job (gardai) and due to the means test system i could not get a grant.

I however did go to college - i worked during the week after college and worked 60hr weeks during the summer to pay for living expenses, books and other expenses - college was not the best of times for me as I had no disposible income to go out and enjoy myself, as well as no time with a job in the evening and on a saturday. got my degree, and was very happy with that.

So here i am - pleased to meet you - i could not afford to go to college, but i did and worked hard to make sure i could.

as for the people knocking me for leaving this country now, it is not because i am giving up the fight to make this a better place. i am leaving because for the next 5 yrs i believe Ireland will not be a great place to live and work with the policies that will be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dodgyme wrote:

thats why the alternative wont get in, their supporters are limited to arguments like this.

FF/PD have been good for me, i will continue to vote for them, get over it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dh2007 wrote:
    But where do you live??? you obviously live very close to a university or institute of tech.

Yes, in fairness I did live in a city, so could live at home.
    dh2007 wrote:
    fair enough you got the grant but there are families that are just above the cut off point for the grant and they get ZILCH from the government. Due to this they cannot afford to send their children to university. I know of someone who would've been in this situation had they have not moved house closer to a university

Well the grant isn't really much, as I said I had to work nights/weekends, as I didn't want to sponge off my family who couldn't really afford it and instead paid for my own food, clothes, share of the bills and even a little rent.

If I had to I could have afforded to live (very cheaply) away from home. I usually worked all summer to help pay for the college year.

And this was true of most of my friends from the same working class area. All doing quite well for themselves now.

Of course their are people who's circumstances might be more difficult, who can't afford to go to college. But to be honest I believe the vast majority of even "working class" people can go if they really want it bad enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

simu wrote:
    So you are going to college...

Yes, years later when I saved with my own money to pay for a night course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jmayo wrote:
    Yes, maybe I did expect people to have the cop to see the crap they have been fed over last 10 years but I guess I was over optimist.
    I guess a better society doesn't matter to most Irish people.

Maybe your choice of nickname is apt. We are more Boston than Berlin.

Lets have a two tier society, where there is one group that do live near the Luas or Dart, can afford private health care, who will drive suvs, who can afford to go to college, as for the rest, they can fcuk themselves or maybe like their forefathers take a boat or plane to a better life.

there will always be tiers in society, thats the way life is, either get yourself out of a tier you dont want to be in or get on with it? the whole communist thing dosnt work, thats life.

why should the wealthier subsidise everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I voted FF and I'm a 20 year old student voting for the first time. I did it because my local TD (Seamus Brennan) has always been hard-working and very reliable for solving local problems encountered by local people. I gave the Greens a vote as well, because a)I think some aspects of transport in my community need to be greatly improved, and a Green candidate is most likely to draw attention to this and b)A lot of my criticisms of the former government stem from the PD's social policies, which were very clearly having a right-wing effect on the government as a unit and I think having a left-wing influence in a mainly FF government could yield very positive policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

i think we are all getting off topic here

the people of ireland have decided that, yes, the government did not do a great job during the last 5 yrs. mistake were made. and some good decisions too. but the electorate have decided to punish just 1 side in the government and that is the PD side.

we will have have a different opinion on whether the the next government will do a good job in what is expected to be a difficult 5 yrs. what we have to make sure is that we all try to make sure the country stays afloat in the next 5 yrs. i truly believe that the policies that will be enforced are bad and poorly thought out. they may change as time goes by. but for now i believe it is a sad day for ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flurby

I didn't vote FF, I have a real problem with being governed by greed.

However, I look forward to seeing them sweat in the coming 2-3 years when the whole economy goes to crap and the country starts falling apart under the weight of 13 years of cock ups.

I'll be in Australia. Texting unemployed relatives.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    there will always be tiers in society, thats the way life is, either get yourself out of a tier you dont want to be in or get on with it? the whole communist thing dosnt work, thats life.

why should the wealthier subsidise everyone else?

So we should follow the USA where if you fall through the cracks then tough?
    I am not suggesting communism, but Ireland is mimicking the US in so many ways and not all good.

I presume you would favour the PDs, that the market economy is best and will level everything out?

I don't agree that if people refuse to work that they should still get unemployment benefit.
    But I do agree that the old should be taken care of, that people who cannot work because of sicknsss should be looked after, that carers should be looked after, that people who do pay VHI are still not left on hospital trolleys and left sit in A & E for 10 hours.

I beleive that these people should not be told tough, you are in the wrong socio economic group, so you can't pay for private care in the Blackrock clinic, get on with and crawl off somewhere and please do not expect any services off the state.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement