Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry Day for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

SeanW wrote:
    And what happens when the construction bubble bursts? We can't maintain our economy on building things alone - and the pursuit of anything else has been hindered by ridiculously high costs and inflation and the shambolic state of everything else.

When it all goes to Hell, which it will, we'll be left to stew in our unmanaged traffic jams, overcrowded trains, Stone Age broadband, non functional public services, and end up getting sick and dieing on a hospital trolley.

We've voted for more incompetence, more gombeen men, and handed the country over to the developers, publicans and and the rest of the FF gobsh***s crew. This disasterous decision by the electorate will set Ireland back 10 years. At least.

If that does happen do you think Fine Gael would come to the rescue if they were in government?? Not by a long shot!

Wake up mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

We've voted for more incompetence, more gombeen men, and handed the country over to the developers, publicans and and the rest of the FF gobsh***s crew. This disasterous decision by the electorate will set Ireland back 10 years. At least.

To be honest, this election wasn't that important. The damage has been done. Those sprawling housing estates can't be unbuilt, the commuter belts are here to stay and the wasted public money can't be reclaimed. In retrospect, the most important election in Irish history was the 1997 one. If FG/Lab had been allowed to manage the Celtic Tiger windfall we could have seen a very different Ireland. And they would have been re-elected on 2002 after taking credit for the economy, just like FF did. It's all Dick Spring's fault for courting with FF in 1992.

Now we must sit back and watch as the various tribunals resume and the Celtic Tiger dries up. There'll be another election before 2012, I guarantee you it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭SeanW

I just don't think Fine Gael could have been any worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

yeh in all fairness FF may not be the best politicians in the world but theyre the best weve got, you cant honestly think that enda kenny would make a good taoiseach, no experience, no expertise, no clue! FG dont exactly have a good record, and you have to look back over the years and see that for the majotirty of our elections it has been the Irish peopes choice to put FF in power because they believe FF are the only party capable of running a stable government, and I dont think the majotiy of Irish peoples views over the years could all be wrong, could they?

PCros wrote:
    If that does happen do you think Fine Gael would come to the rescue if they were in government?? Not by a long shot!

Wake up mate!
    Well would you let the idiots that caused all the problems in the first place back in to try their hands at fixing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I just don't think Fine Gael could have been any worse!

A 1997 FG/Lab paper from just before they went out of power. On planning alone, FG/Lab would have been better.

A choice quote"
    Growing demand for housing in the countryside
    from people working in cities and towns is generally
    unsustainable because:
    • being separated from all other activities which
    the householder normally has resort to, such
    as work, shops, schools and entertainment,
    one-off housing is a large utiliser of energy;
    • most one-off houses are served by individual
    septic tanks, raising concerns for groundwater
    protection;
    • there are increased roads and transport costs;
    and
    • there is a negative impact in terms of the urban
    fabric of towns.

Fair point Sean, but as said above its the best of a bad bunch and I think people are just frustrated. It will take people some time to realise that FF are a good choice.

ronoc wrote:
    Well would you let the idiots that caused all the problems in the first place back in to try their hands at fixing it?

So who would you pick..the even bigger idiots??

Come back when you have something credible to say...

woop wrote:
    yeh in all fairness FF may not be the best politicians in the world but theyre the best weve got, you cant honestly think that enda kenny would make a good taoiseach, no experience, no expertise, no clue! FG dont exactly have a good record, and you have to look back over the years and see that for the majotirty of our elections it has been the Irish peopes choice to put FF in power because they believe FF are the only party capable of running a stable government, and I dont think the majotiy of Irish peoples views over the years could all be wrong, could they?

Oh dear. I'm not going to list of the sucesses of previous FG governments because, to be honest I'm probably wasting my breath.

Enda Kenny is older than bertie and has been a TD for as long as makes no difference experience wise. It is exceedingly silly to say that because Bertie has been in power so long he is the best man for the job. FF have been in office for 23 out of the last 25 years. They are out of touch, arrogent and able to escape any ministerial fault while simultaniously claiming credit for their sucesses.

Please tell me what makes a good Taoiseach?

PCros wrote:
    So who would you pick..the even bigger idiots??

Come back when you have something credible to say...

Justify that statement.

• Advertisement

You bitch and moan about all these problems, we've never had it so good but yet you seem to find the negative points about the government!

No government in the world has been able to do it, they come away with some mistakes aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭saviourgirl

PCros wrote:
    You bitch and moan about all these problems, we've never had it so good but yet you seem to find the negative points about the government!

No government in the world has been able to do it, they come away with some mistakes aswell.

Very true! People are just upset that there vote wasn't worth anything.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

People's votes are always worth something. Sure, their preferred candidates won't be the next government, but if they hadn't voted for them there wouldn't even be a realistic opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I voted for FF too...you bitter haters, if you had any facts, you would realise they are the best party going.

PCros wrote:

I wrote a big reply to your post but I closed the window by accident so I'll try be brief this time.:(

Its because they have set us up very badly for the future.
    * Wasted money on poorly planned public projects
    * Piecemeal economic management that has saddled home owners with almost the highest level of personal debt in the world.
    * Huge public sector pay increases without any change to work practices or attempt at reform.

I had a few more points but feel free to try argue these points.

ps. The last FG government introduced low corporation tax which I feel was the primary driving force of our economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

ireland as a developed nation is way behind the times, the uk for instance is miles ahead of ireland in alot of things.

as for mainland europe, lets not go there.......

FF have been in power 20 whatever years, they call the shots, they make things happen.

the future,..

duh.

the government in the uk, had the foresight to develop the worlds largest underground system eons ago for london. predicting a massive growth in population. sweden also got a working underground in stockholm.

* edit, even bangkok got an effective (ish) sytem in the sky rail....lol

dublin on the other got a mess up of luas, crap motorway,tunnel road and whatever else they are working on. all systems conflict and cause mayhem

things which should have been sorted out ages ago.

the revamping of lansdowne road should have been resolved before now also.
    lots of things are wrong in our country, why will they get better under another FF reigme?

Dublin can not and does not need a metro.

cheesedude wrote:
    So you are saying an unplanned city choked with cronic congestion and a poor public transport system doesn't need a metro?

ronoc wrote:
    I wrote a big reply to your post but I closed the window by accident so I'll try be brief this time.:(

Its because they have set us up very badly for the future.
    * Wasted money on poorly planned public projects
    * Piecemeal economic management that has saddled home owners with almost the highest level of personal debt in the world.
    * Huge public sector pay increases without any change to work practices or attempt at reform.

I had a few more points but feel free to try argue these points.

ps. The last FG government introduced low corporation tax which I feel was the primary driving force of our economy

Trust me I do agree with those points you make, sure the one that bugs me the most is the lack of immigration rules, people are just flooding into this country without being checked out and then they are given benifits galore!

But at the end of the day I look around me and say well I have things that I never would have had 5,10 years ago and I'm greatful for that, do you see where I'm coming from?

The crappy things that government do stand out alot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

lol, what a ridiculous statement.

sure, dublin traffic is grand.

happy campers, those getting up at 5am to avoid tailbacks.

• Advertisement

PCros wrote:
    Trust me I do agree with those points you make, sure the one that bugs me the most is the lack of immigration rules, people are just flooding into this country without being checked out and then they are given benifits galore!

But at the end of the day I look around me and say well I have things that I never would have had 5,10 years ago and I'm greatful for that, do you see where I'm coming from?

There is no arguing alot of us are better off now. However a few years down the line when the economy won't be doing as well. We are going to be wondering why we didn't spend a little more wisely when we were flush with cash.

cheesedude wrote:

Dublin can't have a metro, the infrastructure can't allow it to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

cheesedude wrote:

Can you back up any of your comments, you seem to just be throwing statements out there

legs11 wrote:
    ireland as a developed nation is way behind the times, the uk for instance is miles ahead of ireland in alot of things.
    You do realise that the UK is 60 million plus people yeah? They had the resources to build an infrastructure over 40 years.
    We had no money untill about 10 or 12 years ago.It takes about 4 years to build one road including planning right through to opening and then there are the objections that hold some of them up for years.

No comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Western rail corridor, Deoch Uisce

PCros wrote:

What things?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

cheesedude wrote:

Well I can see why you voted FF so, the one party that will do its worst to deliver anything.

TBH if I responded to your comment in the way I wanted I would have to then ban myself (which I can't do because I tried it before!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Tristrame wrote:
    You do realise that the UK is 60 million plus people yeah? They had the resources to build an infrastructure over 40 years.
    We had no money untill about 10 or 12 years ago.It takes about 4 years to build one road including planning right through to opening and then there are the objections that hold some of them up for years.

No comparison.

No comparison is quite correct! When the London Underground was built the standard tools were shovels and picks. Modern methods are far more efficient and faster. Oh, and many commuters cycled.

Oh I forgot broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PCros wrote:

One could argue with that but the people , as they always do, vote with their pockets.
    Of more concern to me and one of the many reasons I voted against the incumbents , is where in that "gene pool" they are going to find enough competent ministers? The number of able ministers in the last administration does not offer much hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement