Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joyriders caught by Gardai. [VID]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

ned78 wrote:
    How was it professional?

Post reported. If you can't contribute something worthwhile to the thread, don't bother.
    Oh damn, who did you report me to, was it the gardai or the more professional cops that you see on television? Or was it just to the boards mods, what age are you?

ned78 wrote:
    I'm on the record as stating the whole situation was mismanaged by the Gardaí, and I stand by that decision. Any Police Force in any other country in the world would cringe watching that.

How do you know they would, or is that based on the actions you see on the police chase programmes you watch on television? Perhapsyou watch too much of them police shows where the cops are on camera and act by a swearfree environment for as much as possible, and now believe thats thats the normal manner that cops in other countries deal with joyrider situations? Do you know police members in other countries, do you know any gardai, do you know any scummers? Do you get out much?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I can't help but laugh, it seems like it is

Title Fight:

Ned and teh joyriders** vs. the World.

The irony being that due to a lack of clarification in his early posts, everyone believes he is supporting joyriding, or leniency with regard to, while in fact he does not.

**Terms and conditions apply. Joyriders and boyracers not being interchangeable terms...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Nuttzy wrote:
    Oh damn, who did you report me to, was it the gardai or the more professional cops that you see on television? Or was it just to the boards mods, what age are you?

Post reported again. You really have nothing of value to contribute at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

ned78 wrote:
    But there is NO evidence to prove he's a Joyrider
    Theres a video.

Of a car.

In a residential estate.

Travelling at what must be at least 80kph.

DOING HANDBRAKE TURNS.

Repeatedly.

And you think that there is no evidence that he is a joyrider.

The mind truly boggles.

C.D. wrote:
    The irony being that due to a lack of clarification in his early posts, everyone believes he is supporting joyriding, or leniency with regard to, while in fact he does not.

Thank you CD :) Someone who can see it how it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

ned78 wrote:
    Any Police Force in any other country in the world would cringe watching that.
    Tbh ned, in many other countries the driver would have been shot for what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Next we'll be hearing about how he wouldn't have been joyriding in the first place if he didn't have a hard life and lack of recreational facilities.

CiaranC wrote:
    And you think that there is no evidence that he is a joyrider.

The mind truly boggles.

Because there's no evidence. This could be an 18 year old boy racer trying to impress his girlfriend. Doesn't make it any less wrong of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

even if it was the toerag's own car, whats the difference? anyone acting the eejit like that can't expect much restraint from the people tryng to stop them.

Congrats to the Gardai! Police 1, Dirtbags 0.

It was professional because the gardai arrived whilst the act was still in progress, meaning they responded in an efficient manner. They then had to act quickly as the car was flying around in a wreckless/careless/dangerous/hostage-making manner, which they did. They told the prick to get out, a bit of swearing was used but the use of the 2swear words i feel let the prick no they`re not messing.
    Basically, the cops were called to a highly dangerous situation, they responded in a qucik time, they dealt with the situation in an effective manner and caught the dirty cnuts.
    Very professional i thought, we need more gardai like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ned78 wrote:
    Because there's no evidence. This could be an 18 year old boy racer trying to impress his girlfriend. Doesn't make it any less wrong of course!

By driving dangerously. ie: a joyrider. I think we're getting definitions mixed up, what do you define as a joyrider?

ned78 wrote:
    And it could be a granny on her way back from Aldi with the shopping :rolleyes:

Why does it matter who owns the car? Whats your point?

Nuttzy wrote:
    It was professional because the gardai arrived whilst the act was still in progress, meaning they responded in an efficient manner.

I agree they came while the act was in progress, but that doesn't equal professionalism.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    They then had to act quickly as the car was flying around in a wreckless/careless/dangerous/hostage-making manner, which they did.

The car was indeed driving dangerously. I'm not sure what they did though, from the blurry video, all I saw was them turning on their Siren, and the boy-racer lost control and crashed himself.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    They told the prick to get out, a bit of swearing was used but the use of the 2swear words i feel let the prick no they`re not messing.

This is where I felt it all went Pete Tong. They only added fuel to the fire by being so confrontational.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Basically, the cops were called to a highly dangerous situation, they responded in a qucik time

There's no evidence to suggest the 'cops' responded in quick time. It could have been going on for hours for all we know.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    they dealt with the situation in an effective manner and caught the dirty cnuts.

They didn't do anything of the sort.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Very professional i thought, we need more gardai like that.

We'll agree to disagree on that one too.

CiaranC wrote:
    Why does it matter who owns the car? Whats your point?

Well, if it's a joy-rider, then turn off the camera and do whatever you please.

If it's a young lad who really doesn't know any better, and is trying to impress friends, a good old scare will do him the world of good. But using language, and name calling will not teach a young male driver anything - he won't respect the Gards as a result. If the Gardaí were professional, calm, removed him from the vehicle in a correct manner, detained him at the station until he could be released the next day, he'd rethink every doing anything like that again, and so would his mates.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to listen to and respect a calm voice when a situation is escalating out of control like that.

Stark wrote:
    By driving dangerously. ie: a joyrider. I think we're getting definitions mixed up, what do you define as a joyrider?

Well, I agree there's a wide median for error in the definition, but look how nearly everyone in this thread interpreted it. When the word 'Joyrider' was used in the thread, the assumption by nearly every poster, was that the car was stolen.

A clearer term should have been used from the outset.

Tbh, Im not going to dignify that with a response. Give my regards to all in fairy-land. Unless you are taking the piss, in which case, well done - you suckered us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I think the guards should be able to disconnect themselves emotionally,they must do some environmental stress testing/role play as part of their training.
    The swearing certainly didn't make them any more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Debate is great, even when it gets a bit hot

However:
    Nuttzy wrote:
    I`d say your the sort of person that if joined the gardai would last all of 1day because you`d crap yourself at the slightest little thing and panic and probably couldnt remain calm enough to follow your little procedure and theory let alone catch the scummers

That's a pathetic attack on the man, not the ball (did you run out of arguments?). Consider this to be a warning, Nuttzy. Do it again and you'll face a lengthy vacation

Neddy, are you one of those ultra politically correct persons that classes a so called boy racer and a joyrider the same? **This is not a personal insult**

So some hardworking decent lad buys his car and does the odd doughnout in an empty carpark causing no harm to himself or others is the same as some dirty cnut that goes out usually armed with a knife and screwdriver and prepared to use it if disturbed whilst robbing a hardworking persons car and then drives it around with the main objective of wrecking it and also has a high chance of killing someone and wrecking even more peoples property?

I believe a person that thinks the above 2 examples are the same is a bitter/boring/politically correct/theory based/unpractical dumbwit that seriously needs to wake up to the real world and stop watching so much television and try to get out a bit more. **This isnt a personal insult to anyone, just my opinion on people that think like the above case i portrayed** I just thought i`d make that clear incase theres any very sensitive people around that cry at any remote scent of a personal insult.

Ps: Ive reported your posts for consistently making out i`d no point to make when I was making valid points in each of my posts right from my original post in this thread.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Neddy, are you one of those ultra politically correct persons that classes a so called boy racer and a joyrider the same?

Nope. Not at all. There's a difference between a 'Car Enthusiast' and a boy-racer. Then again, there's a difference between a boy-racer and the car stealing definition of joyrider.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Ps: Ive reported your posts for consistently making out i`d no point to make when I was making valid points in each of my posts right from my original post in this thread.

Good for you, but you didn't make a single valid point, save to expend yourself insulting me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Guys the kid was just having some fun on the road, he clearly wouldn't have crashed if the police hadn't turned up with those terrifying blue lights and loud sirens. All blame is clearly at their feet and all repairs to the the car and property should be paid for from their own pockets. Do you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nuttzy, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you posted your last contribution without having read my comments
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Ps: Ive reported your posts

No you haven't

I you had, you'd probably be done for wasting moderators' time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PiE wrote:
    Guys the kid was just having some fun on the road
    I'm surprised that he didn't kill someone the first few times he pulled a skid at the T-junction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

ned78 & co, think you done a great job turning this post into a good debate, its very easy for people just to post 'these scumbags should get the **** kicked out of them' but the video through up some other points.

1. we'd all like a perfect Ireland where the garda is 100% professional, but my opinion is the garda acted as he seen fit, and i'm sure had as much adrenalin running through his body as the fella in the car. The language used might not have been necessary, but i wouldn't say 'should not have been used'.
    2. the driver was never in full control of the car (by definition) proved when he crashed as a squad car arrived.
    3. regardless of whether the the fella is a joyrider or a boyracer, when the garda see the car has crashed, the driver will be dealt with in the same way, as a threat to their life's. if it had of been a boyracer, who then stopped the car as the garda approched, the situation would have been different and the language used different (maybe only slighly:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Regardless of what the term for the driver is in Ned's mind, the main point is the use of bad language. Ned's prososing that a calm polite word would have worked better than what we saw. Regardless of how they parked the car or what they should have done until they left the car, they were in physical danger once they left the car from the driver. It is much much more likely that a person in these circumstances will respond to loud shouts indicating anger and aggression than quieter calm tones.
    To put it simply, if yer man knows he's been doing wrong, and sees a cop banging on the window telling him repeatedly to effing open up, he knows the cop's p1ssed, and if he complies, he's more likely to ease the temper.

Think about it from the cop's perspective. This guy driving is acting the maggot, causing a significant risk to the officers. They want him out of the car now. That's their number one priority. Shouts and bad language will work faster than that quite ridiculous proposed flowery speech you suggested. I've found that myself working with people who break the law. Being loud and sounding intimidating and in control works more than politeness and good manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

And my thoughts on what he actually is, it's glaringly obvious he's a joyrider.
    It hadn't entered my mind that he might have stolen the car.
    But he was driving in an uncontrolled and dangerous manner on roads thoroughly unsuitable for it. That's what a boyracer is to me, regardless of who the car belongs to.

A boyracer is somewhat less. He'll drive aggressively, but not blatantly causing a risk to pedestrians, property and other motorists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If I can make a quick point: the gardai often have a difficult enough job as it is trying to get scumbags locked up. Given that they have to presume they are being filmed at all times then they should follow the rule book. By acting in a confrontational manner it could give a stick to the scumbags solicitor to use to beat the gardai.

Now I'll skulk back into the darkness and watch the bickering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

At the risk of being injyred by the various toys being flung out of the prams I would like to point out that in the British video the cops were screaming their heads off and whacking the windows in with their batons. One of the cops was telling the guy against the wall to calm down and it wouldn't hurt too much. He seemed to have a problem with his leg. The buckos were told to "get on the floor" and seemed to be kissing asphalt.

Thankfully the cops were not cursing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Regardless of whether the car was stolen or not it was joyriding, as this is the act taking place not a reflection on the status of the car.

Am i the only one who saw the episode of one of these police shows in the states where the "joyrider" was shot dead because he tried to drive off and the officer said “he believed his life was in danger".

These situations can turn nasty very quickly so the lads in the car need to know how serious the situation is. Since the guards can’t draw a gun of some sort i think shouting and harsh language is the only way they can convey this to these people that this is a serious situation and they are in trouble. A Mary Poppins approach wouldn’t get any respect and probably would be laughed at IMO.

Im am surprised that a bit of harsh language is all they used tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Ned I dont think you know the type of people who steal cars.

If the people in this car knew they out numbered the gardai, or saw the male garda was with a small female garda they would have had no hesitation in attacking the Gardai.

Most likely with a screw driver in their hand or whatever they used to rob the car.

Using threatening words, smashing the windows is a way of showing that the Gardai mean business and resisting them would mean pain and suffering for the suspects. The Gardai have showed them that they are willing to use force to effect the arrest.

No offence to you but I suspect you may have a different view on the world with regard to criminals and how often they attack gardai.

Advertisement