Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joyriders caught by Gardai. [VID]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Chief--- wrote:
    Ned I dont think you know the type of people who steal cars.

And yet again, I'll repeat that no one has proof that this car was stolen. I have no problem with the Gards being as heavy handed as they'd like with thiefs. If it's a young lad just acting the maggot and not knowing any better, a bit of professionalism would go a long way.

At 7.30 this morning, I have the 5th break in attempt at my house, and I'd like to see a Garda leather the people reponsible. So there, I'm not all flowers and hugs, and I have a fair idea of the type of people who steal cars (And in my case, Motorbikes) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ned78 wrote:
    And yet again, I'll repeat that no one has proof that this car was stolen. I have no problem with the Gards being as heavy handed as they'd like with thiefs. If it's a young lad just acting the maggot and not knowing any better, a bit of professionalism would go a long way.

But how are the Gardaí supposed to know it wasn't stolen when they walk up to the car?

Stark wrote:
    But how are the Gardaí supposed to know it wasn't stolen when they walk up to the car?

By using common sense? Checking that the locks on the car aren't forced, that the ignition isn't ripped out, and on the occassion that it's a car that's been lifted with stolen keys, see does the driver fit the profile of the car that's being driven, ie : a 16 year old with a hoodie driving an IS200 would be a bit suss.

The correct way to handle the situation, stolen or not, would be as I've said before :
    Block his escape avenue with the Police Car thus removing the possibility of human injury.
    Ask him to turn off the engine step out of the vehicle calmly.
    Tell him if he doesn't comply, that force will be used.
    Repeat the warning.
    Tell him at this stage that he's about to break the Window (Because it gives him a chance to shield his eyes from broken glass)
    Then remove and restrain him.

The Gards used foul language, and that shouldn't be tolerated under any circumstances. And that's my end of my debate, the rest of you can discuss it at will, but I'm afraid it won't change my point of view.

ned78 wrote:
    By using common sense? Checking that the locks on the car aren't forced, that the ignition isn't ripped out, and on the occassion that it's a car that's been lifted with stolen keys, see does the driver fit the profile of the car that's being driven, ie : a 16 year old with a hoodie driving an IS200 would be a bit suss.

Oh now you're just trolling. Since immobilisers came on the scene, a large percentage of cars today are stolen using keys taken by breaking into houses. Check to see if the driver fit the profile!? I'd say it was pretty flupping obvious that the driver fit the profile, but no doubt you already have a troll response lined up for it so I'll leave it.

Stark wrote:
    Oh now you're just trolling. Since immobilisers came on the scene, a large percentage of cars today are stolen using keys taken by breaking into houses.

Where'd you get that Stat from? Because when one of my bikes was stolen from my house last month, the Garda who came to the scene specifically told me that young lads are stealing older cars to joyride in, as they can start them easily without immobilisers.

Ah hang on, I'm trolling again ... :rolleyes:

Regardless, this thread has become less of a debate, and more of 'Get Ned' than I'd like, so I'm out. So much for reasonable conversation eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Given the amount of daylight its kind of hard to see from 10 yards out whether the locks have been picked....

What kind of guard would walk up to a car from behind in darkness, check the locks, ask politely for drivers license to profile the driver , checks the locks only then to take steps to ensure the lad is dealt with properly.

I've been on night duty with cops in Germany wearing bulletproof vests and and hand on the gun when doing routing route checks on far less suspicious cars, cause one of their colleages was shot during a routine vehicle check before he said "boo" to the driver....

If I was a guard, foul language in such a situation would be the last of my concerns tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Its so rare on this board to see so many people stick up for the Gardai,

Its not often the public see what they have to put up with.

I dont think you will win this one neddy.

ned78 wrote:
    Where'd you get that Stat from? Because when one of my bikes was stolen from my house last month, the Garda who came to the scene specifically told me that young lads are stealing older cars to joyride in, as they can start them easily without immobilisers.

I didn't give you a Stat, nor did I say the majority of cars are stolen using the keys. But quite a few are. For example it's common enough for people to leave their keys on the hall table, meaning easy pickings for an opportunistic thief. Of course, there are still people who are silly enough to leave their keys in the car when they go to the shops or whatever. Just because a car doesn't have a smashed window and loads of coloured wires hanging from the ingnition, doesn't mean it's not stolen.

The Garda was perfectly right to favour a no-nonsense attitude in getting the pricki]sic[/i out of the car first and finding out if the car was stolen or not later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ned78 wrote:

The correct way to handle the situation, stolen or not, would be as I've said before :
    Block his escape avenue with the Police Car thus removing the possibility of human injury.
    Ask him to turn off the engine step out of the vehicle calmly.
    Tell him if he doesn't comply, that force will be used.
    Repeat the warning.
    Tell him at this stage that he's about to break the Window (Because it gives him a chance to shield his eyes from broken glass)
    Then remove and restrain him.

The Gards used foul language, and that shouldn't be tolerated under any circumstances. And that's my end of my debate, the rest of you can discuss it at will, but I'm afraid it won't change my point of view.

If RTE came up with a reality show where you became a Garda for a week, I would insist this guy be put on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

In a potentially life threatening situation like that i'd see nothing wrong with him smashing the window.

A car is a potentially lethal weapon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Jumpy wrote:
    If RTE came up with a reality show where you became a Garda for a week, I would insist this guy be put on it.

Or better yet, a Prison Officer ... hahahahaha :)

I dont' think scumbags would understand anything other than "foul language"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Jumpy wrote:

Ha ! Excellent idea........

....Use yr full kb.

[HIJACK]why do I have to use my knob ? [/HIJACK]

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I like this thread, but ned, this ain't a Get Ned one, I think people just don't see how you can think that foul language is always always wrong, and politeness always works. You're a big proponent for it, but you aren't getting your point acrosssufficiently as to why the cops should have behaved differently and still achieve their aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,341 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't think leaving this open any longer will achieve anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055098056

I actually filmed this in Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

dammit.

so all scumbags are from the northside then...

I don't live in the area, and I certaintly would'nt start branding a community as scumbags or whatever. There is a scumbag element in every community.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was that you shouting at "Peter"? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Have ya any more videos?

I do from the same area. Scumbags or what. Ill upload another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I don't live in the area, and I certaintly would'nt start branding a community as scumbags or whatever. There is a scumbag element in every community.

read the thread. I was actually making a joke about a number of posters that assumed it was Northside, "judging by the accents".

• Registered Users Posts: 65,341 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I actually filmed this in Blanchardstown.

Hi Poblachtach. Have you any proof you filmed that?

If so, I'll merge this with the other thread and re-open it for a while. Some more comments from yourself, who experienced it first hand, would be interesting too. If not, this will be closed

I filmed it with my SE. Its a mitsubishi Colt, 99% sure it is anyway. It was indeed stolen like the ford puma i filmed. It was filmed in the fortlawn area. I cant exactly prove i filmed it but i did film it, ill find out about the particullar driver and ill see what happened him. Hope he got life in jail tbh.

Ill upload the Puma one now.

EDIT : The youtube account is not mine, its a freinds in scotland, he uploads any of my vids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

ned78 will be shocked when he finds out it was stolen.

I mean it wasnt obvious or anything.

CiaranC wrote:
    ned78 will be shocked when he finds out it was stolen.

I mean it wasnt obvious or anything.

LOL .

Found out its not a puma, sure whatever, iam nto an expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-6Rz3SdYFs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I've lobbed a few bottles at joyriders back home - at one time they made our estate a frequent haunt, until they were "deterred". Even broke into the fire-chief's car (white Cavalier with blue lights and two-tones which happened to activate with the alarm).

If you lob a brick at a joyrider, and it breaks his face:

a. does anybody care ?
    b. is it illegal ?

There are some who would say that the joyriders will come back for revenge, but they tend to be too chicken for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

LOL .

Scum:mad:

If they insist on doing that, why not find some industrial estate? Many of them are deserted over the weekend.
    They was a kid on a bicycle in the video-it should never happen in a housing estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

LOL .

He's cool, I wish I were that cool.

Seriously though is he trying to show off to some kids standing on sidewalk?
    Needs to find some friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

franksm wrote:
    b. is it illegal ?

Yes, unfortunately :(

Just make sure your'e behind the camera! No evidence, no worries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd say it's a Mazda 323 coupe. I'd love to set those scumbags up with a car loaded with explosives or something and just as they on their way detonate it.

Advertisement