Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a WOW replacement

Options
  • 25-05-2007 4:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all im searching for something to fill the void if i quit wow.
    After 2 years i must admit to getting a bit bored of it,still a great game but i feel ive done it all and wonder whats next for me and wow.
    Im looking for a replacemnt if there is one out there.
    In the future i know Conan and Warhammer online are coming but for now id love something to replace wow if thats possible.
    Ive played LOTRO and got a char to lvl 40 and a few more to their teens but the game just doesnt do it for me,after playing the pre release and then retail i quit it for 3 weeks then tried again for another week and it still doesnt do it for me in any way.
    Ive played guild wars,ok game but nowhere near a wow replacement for me either.

I feel all that is left is :
    Vanguard - im concerned about the population of servers
    Dark age of camelot - im going to try the trial
    Everquest 2 - tried the trial long ago but was about the time i was well into to wow so maybe wasnt a good time to trial
    Eve online - not sure of the space them etc

What are your thoughts guys?
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Now is probably not a great time to be choosing a new game to go to. There's a load coming out later on in the year, so I say keep playing wow until they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

With Age of Conan hitting at years end and Warhammer being delayed till 2008 you could maybe try some of the new MMOFPS that are due out soonish.

LOTRO is due a huge content patch in the next few weeks tho so maybe try it again when that hits?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

well you know, hunger is the best sauce, so maybe try a different genre for a while, FPS or something.
    Build a nice hunger for an MMO and then get immersed in Conan or WAR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I play my fair share of a lot of genres tbh,i play too much tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Oh, and Star Trek Online is on it's way at some point this year too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Hey Cully!

Come back onto LOTRO and give it another chance. Myself, Tomasz and Zalifer have great crack teaming up. Much better game when playing alongside people you know and if it wasn't for them lads I probably wouldn't be renewing my sub. Have you any characters around the 23->29 level as you could join in pretty much straight away? Theres also the monster play option that would put us all around the same level and could be worth checking out.

Hey Lister :),i tried to get back into LOTRO last week but i dunno it just doesnt feel right to me.
    I love its visuals etc but i cant put my finger on it,maybe its the lack of world pvp,in wow i love the fact you can be ganked or gank by the opposing faction while doing your quests,it makes the world feel so dangerous.
    In lotro it just feels like a single player rpg with some humans to group with.
    Everyone in lotro are on the same team so to speak where as wow the horde V alliance scenario is great.
    It just doesnt feel like a living breathing and dangerous world full of adventure like wow does to me.
    I admit monster play is decent in lotro and would be fun with a group of mates but i just find the questing is boring with no real sense of danger while your questing and levelling up.
    Since you guys are still playing i might re-subscribe for a while and give it another go.

Im still playing wow atm,im levelling up a paladin on alliance and almost got my alliance hunter to Outland,id like to experience outland as alliance for a change :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote:
    Im still playing wow atm,im levelling up a paladin on alliance and almost got my alliance hunter to Outland,id like to experience outland as alliance for a change :)

Go with the hunter. Getting to from level50 to level58 with my Pally has been a nightmare :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Eve online, we have our own forum too =):D Click sig links for vids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Ultima online has drawn me back in the new kingdom reborn client is quite nice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I cant believe Ultima is still going. I remember playing that back on my last 56k modem, and having horrible lag. Is there many people playing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

R0ot wrote:
    Eve online, we have our own forum too =):D Click sig links for vids

haha yea, I find it funny that people think WoW world pvp is dangerous :p

Kiith wrote:
    I cant believe Ultima is still going. I remember playing that back on my last 56k modem, and having horrible lag. Is there many people playing it?

Aye, I've been playing it for the last 9 or 10 years now on and off.
    Free servers ofcourse. I wouldn't dare pay for the game, not with the current state it's in.

Jaggeh dont play on osi servers. Download ConnectUO or UOGateway to play free servers.
    You can play an OSI clone or one based on UO back in the good old days.

The popular servers have 400+ players on average, which is as much as OSI servers I've heard.

Lots have returned to see what the KR client is like, but that's all that it is, a client.
    It was hit or miss, and I believe its a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wait for Age of Conan.

Or.. have a look at the list of MMO's on mmorpg.com and see if you find something to suit your tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Kirijoleth

Give the Ryzom free trial a go (I'm still addicted), you can play as long as you like for free, but will be limited to the training island and a max level of 21. Other than that there are a few free MMOs out there, I've often been tempted to try Silkroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I was really addicted to EQ2 over a year ago, solo PvP wasn't very balanced though, group vs group PvP is where it really shines, and it was really fun what with all the different classes :)

Tried Vanguard a while ago in the beta, never really gave it a chance, but I'm going to buy it this weekend and give it another go, seemed like it was really fun even though they didn't let you test all the classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Vanguard seems like a good progression from EQ2, problem seems to be with server population though (in that people feel there are too few players playing). They might merge servers though or something (maybe they already have).

MMOs have a tendancy around holiday periods like Christmas, Easter and summer to suffer low player numbers. I have friends playing a few other MMOs and they are all saying the same thing. I suppose the bigger the game world the more sparce it looks too.

I tried Ryzom,didnt like it.
    I also gave LOTRO another go and was bored to tears,cant see the fuss over that game at all tbh.
    Im very interested in vanguard but all thats stopping me buying the game is the low population i hear about.

DEmeant0r if you do purchase,please do comment on your findings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

wait for aoc..that game should be lethal.. :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, but i think the big question is what does he play in the meantime?

So far as suggested in the original post DAoC is the best bet, I have yet to talk to a person who has played it and hated it.

Play Ultima Online, for the pvp.

The next MMO's coming out claim to have improved PvP, as pvp was never such a feature in MMO's like it was in UO. And I emphasise the word "was" there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Kirijoleth wrote:
    So far as suggested in the original post DAoC is the best bet, I have yet to talk to a person who has played it and hated it.
    DaoC was a class game, got bored of it but damn it lasted (lasted me a good 4 months longer than WoW), really worth playing, but takes until the end game to really start to shine, and PvP is second to none, the PvP is where WoW bored me and DAoC really takes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 karlrules

Em i dont want to seem .......y'know, but can i have some money please :o

Just to update,i went back and gave LOTRO another try.
    To my surprise im really enjoying it,it does pretty much everything better than wow once you get into it.
    Cant see myself ever booting up wow again tbh.

Yeehaa Cully! Good to have you back on board. I find it much better playing these games with people you know rather then having to group with randoms. So hence my enjoyment of the game has also increased since you returned! Now all we need is to get the dedicated Lotro forum up and running again.

Also how is the boards kinship going these days? Many active members? The kinship I am currently in is dead so I'm going to jump ship onto the boards one if you will have me!

We have a dedicated lotro board m8.
    Its not showing up on the drop down menu for some reason,it use to do so however.

Heres link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=969

Found the dedicated forum. Took ages to get it set up and then they try to hide it away from people!

Advertisement