Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Days! :-p

Options
  • 25-05-2007 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

To counteract all the anti-FF threads!

I'm happy enough tbh. I didn't want to see FG in government - they did not convince me at all that they could make a go of running the country. I'd like to see some other party besides the PDs in with FF though...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I think I'm the same myself.

I wouldn't go so far as saying Happy Days. I can't say I'm particularly happy about our government, but what opposition did they have?
    FG didn't convince me.

But I really do want to see them join forces with ANYBODY but the PD's.

If Mary Harney gets re-elected (which looks likely), but the PD's lose out to say Labour in the next government, does that mean she will no longer be minister for health?

I'm such a novice at this crap, but that's what I'm thinking / hoping it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Yeah, a new cabinet will be appointed by the Bertimiester, which will mainly be Fianna Fáillers and whoever Fianna Fáil makes a pact with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'm indifferent that they got in - I really will enjoy seeing how they perform when the pressure is on. They've had it easy when the economy was just rolling along. It's coming to a halt and I look forward to seeing how they perform.

I hope they can step up to the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

While as a whole, the economy has improved hugely over the past 10 years. There are still massive issues with management and foresight to be seen in the FF government.

I'm not even going to start listing things because I'm so sick of hearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

yeah pretty happy too

Would have liked to see the PDs in better shape especially McDowell.

Very Relieved that Sinn Fein didnt do anything like they threatened to. Faith in the populace restored.

The movement away from the left and towards the centre was also pleasing

Huzzah!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Good man Bertie - Well Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

simu wrote:
    To counteract all the anti-FF threads!

I'm happy enough tbh. I didn't want to see FG in government - they did not convince me at all that they could make a go of running the country. I'd like to see some other party besides the PDs in with FF though...
    My sentiments exactly.. I'd love to see a FF/GP coalition. [Saying that I do hope McDowell gets the seat, I think he's a great politician]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I think its a greet day too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You're all gonna burn in hell! ;)

De people have spoken and thats thats. I still suspect FF/Lab could happen, a lot of pretty talented people on the front bench who must be itching to "get hands on the levers". Rabbitte could find himself defeated in a party vote and a new man at the helm.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Woohoo happys days!

Further privatisation of our health services
    More waste of taxpayers money
    Further growth in the divide between rich and poor
    More planning without basic infrastructure
    More money for public service workers
    More Martin Cullen and Dick Roche
    and the big one, a vote for the chancers who have done nothing to control our property bubble than is going to kill our economy for the next decade!

This thread should be archived for the 2012 election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm a bit indifferent about FF really. While I'd like to see Labour or the Greens in government, I'm not a fan of Enda Kenny so I wouldn't be overly keen on them being in government with FG. Maybe if there was a different FG leader, Richard Bruton for example, I'd mind less.

However, it is a day to rejoice that the PDs have been crushed and SF haven't increased their vote. The former was pretty much expected, the latter less so, which makes it all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Ah I don't really care I'll just keep paying my health insurance and not work in any city. I'll laugh at those who voted FF continue to sit in traffic jams and relax on plastic seats in A&E units. I did vote BTW and I can't believe the result. All I can think is that people care more about their house prices going up and possibly getting a few quid back if stamp duty is changed. Mmm what'll people think if they don't change stamp duty or house prices continue to drop???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So far I am very happy with the results.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

great day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭MikeTheMan

cm2000 wrote:
    great day!

Absolutely. Delighted to see FF winning and bertie heading for a 3rd term!!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Results like today make it difficult to get excited about Irish politics. You have either a Centrist (Republican) party, whose leader, ironically, can't speak either of the two national languages, or you have another centrist party whose minus craic leader makes you feel the way you do when your dad tries to dance.

The only interesting parties, like the Greens or the PDs end up on the periphery because (i) Fine Gael have had a resurgance of popularity and (ii) those who otherwise would have voted for interesting parties had to vote for Fianna Fáil so that FG wouldn't dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I also think that its good to see FF and bertie back in the driving seat.Its not that i think they're the greatest thing since the slice pan but rather the best of a bad bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Go on the Bertie!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ainemolloy1

Instead of giving themselves a big slap on the back on this love in of a thread why don't the majority of the posters above debate the issues on the ''anti -FF'' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What would be the point (not that I'm a FF-er)? "thier" party has won. No need for a chat about it with those with hostile attitudes.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

good day, shame most boards posters are having a collective seizure over this election results so far!

Feel for the PD's they may not have enough to be retained as coalition partners,

My prefered coalition would have been FF & the Greens
    Giving the greens the environment & transport ministaries.
    That could be a pretty effective partnership methinks

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Instead of giving themselves a big slap on the back on this love in of a thread why don't the majority of the posters above debate the issues on the ''anti -FF'' thread.
    Why?

It's perfectly valid to start another thread in a discussion forum that's discussing something different to other threads, is it not?

And in case you missed it, there are those who haven't been e-high-fiving in this thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

thrill wrote:
    I also think that its good to see FF and bertie back in the driving seat.Its not that i think they're the greatest thing since the slice pan but rather the best of a bad bunch.

That's the problem with the Irish - no matter how bad things get, their attitude is always "arrah, it could be worse".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Further privatisation of our health services
    More waste of taxpayers money
    Further growth in the divide between rich and poor
    More planning without basic infrastructure
    More money for public service workers
    More Martin Cullen and Dick Roche
    and the big one, a vote for the chancers who have done nothing to control our property bubble than is going to kill our economy for the next decade!

The people have backed those who support US war criminals.

They have backed those who barely made a whimper when it emerged Irish citizens were being murdered by British agents who operated with impunity.

They have backed the anti-democratic regime which ignored the people's decision in the first Nice Treaty.

They have backed those who are up to their eyeballs in corruption, those cowards who wouldn't stand up to Haughey and those who still admire him despite the fact that he was a crook.

Says it all about the sorry state of our country because who cares at the end of the day once most of us are making more money?

I long for the day when there are decent morals and standards in Irish politics like there is in Sweden. A minister there resigned recently cos she forgot to renew her tv licence.

And compared to the lowlife the people of this country endorse...rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

My Mum waited seven hours in Vincent's last week to see a doc with my 87 year old granny who had a double fracture of her leg.

Bravo Bertie.

Bravo.

Isn't is gas that the two card board cut outs both topped the poll in their constituencies.
    I just heard richard bruton say what a great fellah bertie is!
    I mean theres my cynicism of the system-how can you take politicians seriously when they lambast people during a campaign and praise them afterwards?

I'm not unhappy to be honest.
    I actually hope Harney gets in and they leave her in health to see if she actually does what she might be capable of there.
    Theres so much upheavel needed to do something in the health service and I think she showed signs of having the balls to do it-something lacking in her ff predecessors(they didnt want to upset the unions).2 years was not anything like enough time to tackle that thorn.

I'll give a verdict on it if I live to see 5 years time.

@Mezcita: Mary Harney's the minister for health.

And having a fractured leg isn't that serious for A&E. In fact, there's generally very little that can be done about a fracture. Whereas, if someone comes in needing stiches, that may need to be seen more promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

endplate wrote:
    I'll laugh at those who voted FF continue to sit in traffic jams and relax on plastic seats in A&E units. I did vote BTW and I can't believe the result. All I can think is that people care more about their house prices going up and possibly getting a few quid back if stamp duty is changed.

How on earth are any government going to be able to magically clear the roads of traffic or wave a wand over the health service. Things were starting, albeit slowly, to go places with the health service and I hope that Mary Harney retains her seat. When I went to vote I wanted a government which wasn't going to be a massively divided coalition who couldn't agree on anything. When I voted I knew it was FF and someone or FG and some others. I would like a green/ff personally.

But I am generally quite pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

And having a fractured leg isn't that serious for A&E. In fact, there's generally very little that can be done about a fracture. Whereas, if someone comes in needing stiches, that may need to be seen more promptly.[/QUOTE]

Jesus, I don't know where to begin after that one. But I'll have ago!

1. Harney's is Bertie's lap dog (shudder). Bertie's calling the shots.
    2. "A fractured leg isn't that serious for A&E". So you're not a doctor then and may well possibly be retarded judging by that comment. What do you suggest for an 87 year old woman with a broken leg, a couple of aspirin and a pat on the back?
    3. My point is that with all the money washing around our fantastic economy they still haven't sorted out the health service.
    4. Ban me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be fair to Harney, and that's not something I would do very often, Minister for Health is a poisoned chalice, and she willingly volunteered for the job, demonstrating that she has more balls than most of the politicians in this country. After years of mismanagement and underfunding the health system was in crap long before she ever got near it, and to expect it to miraculously be all right within a couple of years is unrealistic, regardless of who the minister is. The HSE and their predecessors need to take a lot more of the blame for the state of things than they currently do. They're the ones that actually run the hospitals, not the minister.

Advertisement