Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Days! :-p

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Mezcita wrote:
    hulla wrote:
    And having a fractured leg isn't that serious for A&E. In fact, there's generally very little that can be done about a fracture. Whereas, if someone comes in needing stiches, that may need to be seen more promptly.
    Jesus, I don't know where to begin after that one. But I'll have ago!

1. Harney's is Bertie's lap dog (shudder). Bertie's calling the shots.
    You do know how a government works, right?
    2. "A fractured leg isn't that serious for A&E". So you're not a doctor then and may well possibly be retarded judging by that comment. What do you suggest for an 87 year old woman with a broken leg, a couple of asparin and a pat on the back?
    Not that I don't think your granny deserved to have attention, I would just weigh up the balance differently between the urgency of say, having a hole in your head/face/any other part of your body as being more urgent. That said, as you pointed out, I'm not a doctor.

Unfortunately for your argument, and your granny, those who are medical professionals obviously agreed with me on that call in Vincent's. It's hard to blame the government for deciding not to see your granny before people with more life-threatening ailments than a fractured leg.
    3. My point is that with all the money washing around our fantastic economy they still haven't sorted out the health service.
    You can throw all the money in the world at a problem and still end up with no solution. Sorry to rain on your rant. I'm sure your very upset about the onset of the end of the world now that the same really boring party that's been running the country for the last while has been re-elected.
    4. Ban me.
    Why take the easy way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

simu wrote:
    To counteract all the anti-FF threads!

I'm happy enough tbh. I didn't want to see FG in government - they did not convince me at all that they could make a go of running the country. I'd like to see some other party besides the PDs in with FF though...

I totally agree, the people have spoken in 100% democratic way showing the majority are happy with the way FF have run the country for 10 years and will continue now for at least 5 more years ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ainemolloy1

Why?

It's perfectly valid to start another thread in a discussion forum that's discussing something different to other threads, is it not?

And in case you missed it, there are those who haven't been e-high-fiving in this thread too.

''e-high-fiving'' - never heard that one before , must use it, it's good.

Of course it is valid, I just think that there is alot of people sticking their heads in the sand over this election. I've been on these boards half the day debating with people and I'm not getting any persuasive arguments why people voted for the FF's, when faced with the hard reality of our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

''e-high-fiving'' - never heard that one before , must use it, it's good.

Of course it is valid, I just think that there is alot of people sticking their heads in the sand over this election. I've been on these boards half the day debating with people and I'm not getting any persuasive arguments why people voted for the FF's, when faced with the hard reality of our economy.
    Thats just means you are not accepting any arguments you probably don't want to hear.

Thats just means you are not accepting any arguments you probably don't want to hear.

Did you read my posts? Please do and get back to me, I voted against this government as they are taking us down the wrong economic path. Most people voted for them as they believe they are taking us down the right path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

You do know how a government works, right?

Not that I don't think your granny deserved to have attention, I would just weigh up the balance differently between the urgency of say, having a hole in your head/face/any other part of your body as being more urgent. That said, as you pointed out, I'm not a doctor.

Unfortunately for your argument, and your granny, those who are medical professionals obviously agreed with me on that call in Vincent's. It's hard to blame the government for deciding not to see your granny before people with more life-threatening ailments than a fractured leg.

You can throw all the money in the world at a problem and still end up with no solution. Sorry to rain on your rant. I'm sure your very upset about the onset of the end of the world now that the same really boring party that's been running the country for the last while has been re-elected.

Why take the easy way out?

Me arse. Even someone with as limited medical knowledge as you would have to agree that the staff would have wanted to process her as quickly as possible. You are therefore suggesting that the staff we quite happy to let her suffer for a long time. Which is, quite frankly, bolloc.ks.

This situation has been going on for years without the government tackling it properly. This to me is a massive reason for them not to be re-elected.

Should you or any of your family be unfortunate enough to experience this scenario first hand perhaps you might not be left thinking that FF are the mutt's nuts.

Finally I never said anything about it being "the end of the world". Or about them being "really boring". In fact, your last paragraph is all over the place.

Anyway, congrats. Teflon Bertie does it again.

Please read this thread ''What Does Bertie Have To Do To Lose Popularity???''

or '' FF overall majority: its time to get out of this country''

and then get back to me about arguments people don't want to hear.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Did you read my posts? Please do and get back to me, I voted against this government as they are taking us down the wrong economic path. Most people voted for them as they believe they are taking us down the right path.

I think the point Fuzzy is making is that you believe that the economic policies are wrong, which you believe is a persuasive argument for voting against them, but most people don't appear to have accepted that. In other words they obviously think the country is doing ok, or that they don't believe that the alternative offered could do any better.

zaph wrote:
    I think the point Fuzzy is making is that you believe that the economic policies are wrong, which you believe is a persuasive argument for voting against them, but most people don't appear to have accepted that. In other words they obviously think the country is doing ok, or that they don't believe that the alternative offered could do any better.

Agreed! But between what you believe is happening and what is actually happening, there can be a big difference. The threads I have been writing today have nothing to do with what I believe is happening, but what as an Economics student I know is happening or is the consensus amongst Economists who are not linked to the building industry and has a likelihood of happening in the near future.

I think the economy is doing well now, but if current policies are continued the economy will seriously nose dive. I have tried to lay some of those arguments out today, and nobody seems to be able to argue against it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Mezcita wrote:
    Me arse. Even someone with as limited medical knowledge as you would have to agree that the staff would have wanted to process her as quickly as possible. You are therefore suggesting that the staff we quite happy to let her suffer for a long time. Which is, quite frankly, bolloc.ks.
    Please don't put words in my mouth.

I said they were prioritising things correctly, not that they didn't want to attend to their patients.
    Should you or any of your family be unfortunate enough to experience this scenario first hand perhaps you might not be left thinking that FF are the mutt's nuts.
    I don't quite know how you could have gleaned the impression that I am in any way in favour of Fianna Fáil given my posts in this thread. I openly criticise the party and their policies. I was just correcting you on a point of information. Fianna Fáil didn't decide not to see your granny.
    Finally I never said anything about it being "the end of the world". Or about them being "really boring". In fact, your last paragraph is all over the place.
    I made two points: (i) that the health service problems can't be solved by throwing money at them and (ii) that your reaction is disproportionate to the issue at hand.

The fact that FF have been re-elected doesn't mean that Ireland is going to explode, it just means that mediocre baby-steps are going to be taken in the direction of political banality. At least we can still indulge in the self-abasement we Irish love so much. Our Taoiseach doesn't know what 'taoiseach' means.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

While its great to see FF (my 1,2&3) back in, i think its a sad day for the PD's. People just don't seem to appreciate the difficult Departments that they took such as health and justice..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Further privatisation of our health services
    More waste of taxpayers money
    Further growth in the divide between rich and poor
    More planning without basic infrastructure
    More money for public service workers
    More Martin Cullen and Dick Roche
    and the big one, a vote for the chancers who have done nothing to control our property bubble than is going to kill our economy for the next decade!

Who is to say that FG would be any better? At least regards the property bubble, it's very likely that if there is a serious problem in the housing market, FF will step in to keep things afloat. FG would sniff their noses and let people loose their houses.

I agree with the OP, except that it is not a happy day, it's just the same as yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Who is to say that FG would be any better?
    FF have proven after 10 years their capabilities (or lackof) regarding all the mentioned issues. If settling for 2nd best and incompetence floats your boat then what can you do.
    At least regards the property bubble, it's very likely that if there is a serious problem in the housing market, FF will step in to keep things afloat.

Yeah you're probably right there. Fianna Fáil will be bailing out their property developer buddies while young couples will be struggling with 40 year mortgages while being crushed with negative equity around their necks. It should be great craic seeing FF putting plasterers and brickies into jobs to build bridges etc.
    FG would sniff their noses and let people loose their houses.

Ha.... of course FF wont ever do that ..... after their record of desperately not intervening in the property bubble disaster

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

FF have proven after 10 years their capabilities (or lackof) regarding all the mentioned issues. If settling for 2nd best and incompetence floats your boat then what can you do.

Yeah you're probably right there. Fianna Fáil will be bailing out their property developer buddies while young couples will be struggling with 40 year mortgages while being crushed with negative equity around their necks. It should be great craic seeing FF putting plasterers and brickies into jobs to build bridges etc.

Ha.... of course FF wont ever do that ..... after their record of desperately not intervening in the property bubble disaster

While neither of us can say whether FF or FG are more or less likely to help out people in serious debt, I think FG would be more likely to blame people (or the last government) and do nothing, while at least FF, in my view, will try to keep everything ticking over and avoid too much of a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

While neither of us can say whether FF or FG are more or less likely to help out people in serious debt, I think FG would be more likely to blame people (or the last government) and do nothing, while at least FF, in my view, will try to keep everything ticking over and avoid too much of a disaster.

Thats fair enough. I will blame for FF failing to intervene if the property bubble explodes in our face (23% of our GDP dependent on construction - not good!) but what I do hope is that they adequately sort out the mess and the other economic knocks ons. They have to help the people who really need it and not greedy developers who have contributed massively to this bubble. I'm highly sceptical they will have their priorities in the right place based on current neglect of this situation. That is why I have FAR more confidence in FG/Lab managing the mess. (I Voted GP BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think it is disappointing that it is panning out the way it has. I have little or no confidence in the present incumbents and expect more of the same from them. I also hope that the government we "deserve" doesn't come back to haunt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Reading this thread, and the squeals of joy from pro-FF contributors, the phrase "the blind leading the blind" springs to mind.

This was the same sort of thing spouted by the gullible Forest Gumps of this country in the eighties who ensured Charlie Haughey got re-elected, and we all know how that turned out.

A leopard never changes its spots so don't bitch to the rest of us in 12 month's time when Bertie's boyos end up breaking all their promises. You had your chance to make a difference.

I await the inevitable guffawing from those who think a great thing has occurred today. How wrong you are. I'd suggest you have your heads examined but judging by the waiting lists in this country that prospect seems remote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Reading this thread, and the squeals of joy from pro-FF contributors, the phrase "the blind leading the blind" springs to mind.

This was the same sort of thing spouted by the gullible Forest Gumps of this country in the eighties who ensured Charlie Haughey got re-elected, and we all know how that turned out.

A leopard never changes its spots so don't bitch to the rest of us in 12 month's time when Bertie's boyos end up breaking all their promises. You had your chance to make a difference.

I await the inevitable guffawing from those who think a great thing has occurred today. How wrong you are. I'd suggest you have your heads examined but judging by the waiting lists in this country that prospect seems remote...

Well said that man. Very dissapointed with my fellow Irish. There are very real and drastic problems with this country. However people have out their faith in the current Govt despite a proven record of breaking promises.
    Dont any of ye get sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Wow...I don't know much about politics but...wow...

I can't believe my fellow Irish have re-elected FF. People are actually happy at the state of our government?

10 years is too long for any party to stay in government. They had their chance and we all know how that went.

And still...people vote for FF. Why?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Excuse me while I /facepalm at the Irish electorate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement