Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge Thread

Options
  • 25-05-2007 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

I think we could use this to rejuvenate the Football Manager Forum on Boards. Does anyone have any good challenges we could start up? Make things interesting...

I saw a good one on fmaddict.com. Take charge of Aston Villa and win the Premiership within the first 4 seasons. The catch is that you can only sign players from the "home nations" i.e. Ireland, N.I, England, Scotland and Wales.

Does anybody have any better ones? Anyone actually interested? Atari Jaguar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

besty wrote:
    Take charge of Aston Villa and win the Premiership within the first 4 seasons. The catch is that you can only sign players from the "home nations" i.e. Ireland, N.I, England, Scotland and Wales.

Not too bad for Villa cos they'e got great english youth players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've heard getting Leeds promoted, and winning the Premiership is a toughie. How about doing that in 4 seasons? Or maybe taking a conference team to Premiership success, thats always fairly difficult. I did it with Rushden & Diamonds and boy did it take a long time. Take an Irish Division 1 team into the Champions League in a set amount of seasons, without non-EU players?
    I'd definitely be up for taking on a challenge of some form once I've finished exams. My Sunderland game was frustrating me last time I played, so don't know if I'll go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Winning every trophy going with a team without signing any new players at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

cheesedude wrote:
    Winning every trophy going with a team without signing any new players at all.
    With any team?
    I.e. With United, winning the FA, Carling, Premiership and Champions League?

Sounds good to me. Possibly a bit too easy though...Maybe not?! I play with United alot so wouldn't mind a new challenge, i.e. the Villa one. How about win the Premiership with Spurs with no new signings?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That would be an excellent team to try it with...Spurs...and if you pick Man Utd, try win them all in the one season...ie a quadruple

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Winning the quadruple with Man Utd in the first season with no new signings isn't that much of a challenge. Beat Liverpool 3-0 in the CL final! I've done the same with Celtic too.

I've just finished my first season with Hibs...Won all those Intertoto matches at the start, the SPL, League Cup, Scottish Cup, and the UEFA Cup!!! Signed GK Allan McGregor from Rangers and made great loan signings.

I might start a new game with Spurs or Leeds or Cork City. Getting to the CL group stage sounds like a good challenge for the latter two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalli.S

Why does everyone think gettin Leeds promoted isnt easy?,

pick them every other game and always get them promoted.

its all about loan signings.

the new game is gonna be a different kettle of fish though.....from league one?

Ok I've just taken on West Ham, the plan is to win the league in the first season, and if that doesn't happen qualify for the Champions League. Start off with a decent team (albeit the defence), but only a €2m-ish transfer kitty. Both my first team keepers are out injured, as well as my reserve keeper so I've gotten a loan of a 40yr old from QPR for 3 months (can't remember his name), but should have Carroll back after my first 3 league games.
    My defence is pretty bad. I've sold Etherington to Bolton for €2.5m, and bought a better left winger to replace him, as well as a solid defender from Celtic, both names have slipped my head. Just about to kick off the league now, won all my pre-season games very well except one defeat to WBA.

Oh and I decided on a team by starting a new game, selected a total of 19 leagues from Europe and picked a random team. Though I got Inter the first time I randomised, so West Ham came up second. Just thought Inter would be way too easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Should we agree to one of the challenges referred to above and start at the same time with v.7.0.2 so it's even? We can then post back with screen shots of progress etc...

How about winning the league with Spurs and only home nations signings?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

besty wrote:
    How about winning the league with Spurs and only home nations signings?

yeah that sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

I actually started one yesterday with millwall i am trying to them up to the premireship in 3 seasons, any tips on who i should buy

Yeah, I'm up for the Spurs challenge if anyone else is still interested.
    Finished my first season with West Ham, finished top of the league (my most memorable win being beating Liverpool 5-0 at Anfield), won the League Cup and the Euro Cup by beating Frankfurt in the final. I ended up signing Vanden Borre in the January window to cover the many injuries I had over the season. Got a decent transfer kitty of €16m, so far I've gotten Ian Harte (€1.5m) to bolster my defence and Morten Gamst Pedersen (€9m) then one or two youngsters to boot. Also I've been listed under the clubs famous personnel which is a first for me, I've been given legendary status! Now I've the job of trying to keep Tevez and Mascherano - Real and Man U are getting interested in them, so hopefully I can hang on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Havent been on this forum in a while, but once I finish my exams(Monday evening), I'd be interested in doing one of these challenges. Although may have to wait till Tuesday. Was gonna start a new game, havent played it in months now. If anyones interested, just write back here. Would have started tomorrow or something, but parents will be hounding me to study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

New Challenge!

Win the league with AC Milan.

All players must be under 21!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I've set off on the ultimate challenge.
    Going from the bottom tier of every league and gonna try and win every competition eventually.
    Started with Huracan and I took the Second Division of Argentina easy enough. I'm sure the Premier Division will be harder.

DSB wrote:
    I've set off on the ultimate challenge.
    Going from the bottom tier of every league and gonna try and win every competition eventually.
    Started with Huracan and I took the Second Division of Argentina easy enough. I'm sure the Premier Division will be harder.

Ok that is pretty ultimate, but also very time consuming. It'd be amazing to say you've done it but it could take ages. I don't have that time.
    So have we set out on a group challenge then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Spurs with home nations players is the best.

Advertisement