Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geography

Options
  • 25-05-2007 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi:) , just have few questions, any info would be great. My teacher says that you dodn't need to know about Isostasy but I see that was a whole part C in the sample paper:confused: so I'm guessing I do need to know it?

Also landforms of tectonic activity, is one case study for each intrusive(Antrim,hawaii,iceland) and extrusive(Leinster mnts, devon batholiths) or are all needed. Same with, folding,Doming,faulting, are case studies of South of Ireland ridge, Donegal tear fault, the Alps plus the Appalachians all needed or can I just pick one/two?

Sorry about all the questions:o

Oh, one last thing, when they ask you to measure the distance on a map, say along a river from a church to a bridge or whatever how do you actually do this? Tought I knew but, turns out I keep getting the wrong answer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

Im guessing you dont need to know about isostasy because ive never heard of the word!! :confused:

For tectonic activity i feel im safe with just knowing about Iceland and the Leinster Mountains

For measuring distances you will be provided with a small little piece of paper, under the map there is a legend with the measurement of distances. Place the paper on the measurement and mark it and then place it on the legend and read it off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

boundary wrote:
    Hi:) , just have few questions, any info would be great. My teacher says that you dodn't need to know about Isostasy but I see that was a whole part C in the sample paper:confused: so I'm guessing I do need to know it?

Also landforms of tectonic activity, is one case study for each intrusive(Antrim,hawaii,iceland) and extrusive(Leinster mnts, devon batholiths) or are all needed. Same with, folding,Doming,faulting, are case studies of South of Ireland ridge, Donegal tear fault, the Alps plus the Appalachians all needed or can I just pick one/two?

Sorry about all the questions:o

Oh, one last thing, when they ask you to measure the distance on a map, say along a river from a church to a bridge or whatever how do you actually do this? Tought I knew but, turns out I keep getting the wrong answer.

Straight line-Piece of paper, start at point a, mark point b. measure using key.

River/Road-Paper,start at point a, and every time it turns, mark it there,then turn the paper to follow the road then mark it at the next bend etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You do have to know about Isostasy, it's very short anyway. Just the Knickpoint Landform along the river profile and then you also have to do the one from Base Level Reduction, Paired Terraces, the old flood plain etc.

The geography course is actually very short :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Isotacy will probably come up since it was human interferance last year, what are people studying for geogecology? I'm really hoping the factors which affect soil characteristics comes up again although I'm gonna do soil composition too. I just can't see myself getting 80/80 doing a biome. Everyone's doing it so it'll probably be a more difficult question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Isotacy will probably come up since it was human interferance last year, what are people studying for geogecology? I'm really hoping the factors which affect soil characteristics comes up again although I'm gonna do soil composition too. I just can't see myself getting 80/80 doing a biome. Everyone's doing it so it'll probably be a more difficult question.

There isnt exactly a ton of questions they can ask on geoecology anyways. As for isotasy (or indeed eustasy) it could come up but then again if it does there are always the other 2 physical geography questions if that stuff wasnt covered for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Isostasy is something like rocks in relation to sea level? Fjords etc. Snore. So not revising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

Isostasy is something like rocks in relation to sea level? Fjords etc. Snore. So not revising it.

eww yuck..... i wont even bother to look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Isostasy is raising of the plates due to the release of pressure (i.e. the melting of glaciers causes the plate to rise due to a huge amount of weight being eliminated from it)

Eustasy is the changing sea levels as a result of melting ice caps or evaporation (possibly!!).

One thing, what questions have you guys prepaired on geoecology. Iv done:
      Characteristics of a biome i have studied
      The impact of human activity on a biome(s)
      How soil has been influenced by: podzolisation, laterisation, leaching and weathering
      Factors that have influenced soil characteristics

Do you think im missing anything or am i covered??

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

You've done more than me!! I can't find the human activity on a biome q anywhere in my notes :O They'll keep it easy enough I'd say since it's worth 80marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

In reply to the initial question it is definitely in your interest to study Isostasy because it is pretty likely to come up this year as a part C of rivers/sea/ice question. Its actually quite easy if you have the proper notes. Hope you do and if you don't let me know.

As for the Geocology I'm praying biomes come up because it is so easy to talk crap about deserts and get close to 80/80. As for soil? Yuck/Boring!

GretchenWieners- Human activity on biomes can be eaither of 3 things (and more im sure!): Desertification in the Sahel, Felling of tropical rainforests, Developement in California. Once again, easy enough to rattle on for a few pages if you know the main points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

There is just so much to learn in geography :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

do u guys think id be ok for geoecology if i left out soils and just did biomes (characteristics and human interference)?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

Thats pretty much what I'm doing. I'd advise to just know something about soil as well, just on the off-chance that they spring it on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i think your almost guaranteed a question on a biome.

im learning

human interfernce with a biome

characteristics of a biome.

factors affecting soil characteristics.

what accelerates soil erosion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

can you use features of rejuvenation (in rivers) when talking about isostasy?? or is that different???
    if i wrote about knick points and paired terraces in reference to isostasy,would that be correct??? sont have good notes on this topic :( and the book isnt very clear either....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

can you use features of rejuvenation (in rivers) when talking about isostasy?? or is that different???
    if i wrote about knick points and paired terraces in reference to isostasy,would that be correct??? sont have good notes on this topic :( and the book isnt very clear either....

Yeah knickpoints and paired terraces are features of isostasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

adamcp wrote:
    Yeah knickpoints and paired terraces are features of isostasy
    oh thats grand so...thnak you

If ur doing a question on human impact on rivers, is it ok to just do a whole question on the River Rhine, or do you have to give a general account of the different methods (Levees, dams etc.) and then go into detail on ur case study?

blondie07 wrote:
    If ur doing a question on human impact on rivers, is it ok to just do a whole question on the River Rhine, or do you have to give a general account of the different methods (Levees, dams etc.) and then go into detail on ur case study?
    I think it's better to mention the points then bring in your case study as reference and go on about it

sorry for being totally dense here!:) so ur saying, i shud just briefly go through each of the different methods, then expand on the one iv done the case study on?

Ok never mind! just checked the marking scheme frm last year and it said you can only have 1 impact, maximum 2 so u do have to go into detail on one or two things only

• Advertisement

blondie07 wrote:
    sorry for being totally dense here!:) so ur saying, i shud just briefly go through each of the different methods, then expand on the one iv done the case study on?
    I think it's better that you talk about the impact or whatever it is generally first and then bring in your case study on it b/c the question isn't just asking you about that particular place. It will mostly depend on the wording of the question which will tell you how many impacts you have to deal with. Sorry if I can't explain it clearer.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eily

Im confused as to what exactly is a SRP, I understood them to be solid facts, statements, statistics but when i look at my mock paper, i cant tell the difference between what got 2 marks and what didn't! Ah!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its a relevant point.. I would reckon there is alot of leeway as to what is relevant and what is not, one examiner might give you full marks another may not. Just write as much as you can and ensure you have well defined and brief points.

Here i am preaching but that's what i think it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Its a point that relates to the question asked. It can sometimes be
    • a fact/statement (e.g. Fold mountains occur at constructive plate boundaries) when asked a question like: Describe the formation of fold mountains....
    • or figures (e.g. The avearge wage for Ireland is €17.50 however in Poland it is €2) when asked a question like: Explain the economic benefits for membership of the EU on a non-irish country. (although you would probably need another sentence there to link it back to the text).

I do struggle myself finding the right SRP's, and enough of them. I usually come up 1 or 2 short, but I blame that on the strict marking of my teacher!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 boundary

Thanks for that info, much appreciated:)

Advertisement