Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Houllier Steps Down

• 25-05-2007 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6692479.stm
    Houllier won back-to-back titles at the Stade Gerland
    Lyon coach Gerard Houllier has quit the six-time French champions.

Houllier won the title and the French Super Cup in each of his two seasons at the Stade Gerland and reached the Champions League last eight in 2006.

The Frenchman previously spent six years at Liverpool between 1998 and 2004 when he won six trophies, including a cup treble in 2001.

And Houllier, 59, who has also coached France, Lens and Paris St Germain, has been linked with a return to England.

He has been mentioned as a potential successor to Stuart Pearce at Manchester City and a move to Dynamo Kiev has also been rumoured.

He was also reportedly in the running for the Newcastle job before Sam Allardyce took the helm.

Houllier maintained Lyon's domestic supremacy but failed to match that on the European stage.

After an unbeaten Champions League group campaign this season they fell at the first hurdle in the knock-out stages to Roma.

Last season, having again come out unbeaten and on top in a group including Real Madrid, they crushed PSV Eindhoven before falling to AC Milan in the quarter-finals.

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas had stated that he would endeavour to keep Houllier on board but seemed to be preparing for every eventuality last week.

Aulas said last Sunday in remarks reported by L'Equipe: "A good president must have foresight.

"I don't envisage the departure of Gerard Houllier but I have planned ahead with the board and I will not be deprived."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bah! Ya beat me to it!

Not at all surprised though I'd treat the take a year out talk with a pinch of salt.

Mike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

who said man city....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

who said man city....

Should be good for a laugh if that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

so who's he got lined up then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

so who's he got lined up then?

Real of course :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Who says joining City is a 'step down' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Everyone bar City fans I'd imagine.

Lyon were CL quarter finalists nearly every year. I can't understand why he'd want to go to City. Surely his rep can get him somewhere bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think he'd like a challange. He has said he'd like to get back into English footie and Man City would be a good project for him.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

For all the slagging of GH, he didn't do a bad job at Liverpool and actually had a decent record. Would do Man City no more harm than Sven would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

For all the slagging of GH, he didn't do a bad job at Liverpool and actually had a decent record. Would do Man City no more harm than Sven would do.

the biggest failings with liverpool were in the transfer market. and who bought who is more easily remembered than performances really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

What about Juventus ? Didn't Deschamps step down from them the other night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

He didn't do badly at Liverpool, but he was never going to take us forward. Would've kept us in fourth every year, but thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He took us forward from the Roy Evans era, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He started off well but didn't follow up on that early success. Some of his his team selections and playing players out of position were strange to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Muppet wrote:
    He started off well but didn't follow up on that early success. Some of his his team selections and playing players out of position were strange to say the least.

Yes but that does not make him a bad manager.. He made some bad choices but he brought Liverpool forward and it peaked with us finishing 2nd and winning the UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup in the one season. And IIRC I think the points total for that season would have been enough to win the league in about 5 of the previous 7 seasons. Before anyone says anything, I am not holding onto that one!!

Advertisement