Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend a good indoor arial for my scanner?

Options
  • 25-05-2007 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I have a UBC3500xlt and the Wife isnt keen on me attaching an arial to the outside of the house!
    I would like to Improve the range on my scanner...
    Any suggestions would be great..

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

An outside aerial mounted as high as possible is obviously the best option, there are plenty of different types available, some quite "low profile" ones as well that wouldn't be too noticeable also. Can you not work on the wife? :D You know, cook a few dinners, plenty of pampering etc. and then say "oh, by the way I got an aerial installed..." :D

Seriously, if it's an absolute no-go, I'd recommend a full size discone in the attic (assuming you have access to there), or a desktop sized discone mounted as high as possible. Maplin sell discones (check here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12910&MenuName=Scanner%20Accessories&FromMenu=y&worldid=-1&doy=26m5) as do plenty of online suppliers.

If you want any installation advice, just let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is no such thing as a good indoor aerial.

Get a 50 Euro discone. It's not large and can go in TV aerial/ MMDS pole. Alternatively as a second best hang it by 30cm of nylon cord from peak of roof in the attic. Use RG213 or CT125 cable to connect it with PL529 connectors and then a PL529 BNC adaptor connector / cable to scanner.

QT28.jpg

The "desktop" aerials are not much use. A 10 Euro VHF/UHF telescopic aerial with BNC plug is better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Ok thanks guys,
    It looks like the discone in the attic will be the way forward.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Any progress - did you get a discone?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Crowman, got external discone antenna from maplins at the weekend. Attached it to clothes line in the garden, visually it's not that intrusive, maybe Mrs. Crowman wouldn't notice it that much.;)

• Advertisement

I've decided to buy the discone hopefully this weekend then attach it in the attic. When Mr's Crowman returns from the Mother- In- laws she'll never suspect a thing... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

good stuff, the discone has made a great improvement on quality and quantity of signals picked up on my scanner.

Sneak it out onto chimney above TV aerial some day.

Problem is we dont have TV arial on the roof, I guess it's in the attic too....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I bought an indoor ariel for my bearcat, but I live in Navan which is down in a bit of a dip. Due to that I cannot pick up Dublin with the ariel. The main thing to note is, the higher up you are the better it is for picking up transmissions.

• Advertisement

Yes, rule of Thumb
    Get aerial to 45ft above ground (short pole on chimney or mast at Bungalow), each significant increase of signal after that needs the aerial height DOUBLED!
    45ft, 90ft, 180ft ... approx
    15m, 30m, 60m, 120m ... approx

This is why living on a sharp hilltop or sharp mountain is good. That is effectively the mast.

You'll notice most Mobile masts come at about 45ft. Radio Repeater masts 90 to 120ft and TV masts often 200ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

watty wrote:
    Yes, rule of Thumb
    Get aerial to 45ft above ground (short pole on chimney or mast at Bungalow), each significant increase of signal after that needs the aerial height DOUBLED!
    45ft, 90ft, 180ft ... approx
    15m, 30m, 60m, 120m ... approx

This is why living on a sharp hilltop or sharp mountain is good. That is effectively the mast.

You'll notice most Mobile masts come at about 45ft. Radio Repeater masts 90 to 120ft and TV masts often 200ft.

That is so true. If your in Navan and if you go to the Hill Of Tara, there is this small hill on it, if you go to the top of that and switch on your scanner you can get all around Dublin and Navan:D , which proves the higher you are the better it is for you.

Advertisement