Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greens election

Options
  • 25-05-2007 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I am sad , because greens and the alternative done, so bad ,
    to me this is really bad.

We are going to see , huge climate change , rise in cancer levels ,
    The completion of many road projects the continuation of The M3 , that will destroy our local environment
    A weaker EPA. It is evident that Irish people short slightness is to blame, they obviously don't give a toss,Well F**k them all . Those people who voted FF Will be the ones 50 years time , when half of Ireland is flooded , Why didn't i vote green. I can see it now. To me it seems that Irish people don't appreciate their country .

For me its time to leave this country ,Maybe go to New Zealand Where they actually care about their Environment. Because I now Hate FF and will never Vote FF again.I voted Green .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Money means all in todays society.... unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

FF/Green could be a very real possibility for the next Government.

Is now the time for pragmatism? An opportunity to gain a ministerial post or two and actually do something.

According to the RTÉ pundits the numbers are looking just right and the Greens will demand fewer cabinet posts than Labour, making them attractive to FF.

Trevor & John at the cabinet table may be a chance to show that the Greens can actually deliver. A step towards a real leap forward at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The greens will ask for fewer posts, but they will want ones they are suited to. A green minster for the environment, who would of thought

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I think Greens are suited to the Transport job too. Though I know that's unlikely. If FF and Greens do go it together, the Greens will probably only get one ministerial job and that will be the environiment.

Really got my fingers crossed that FF will pick the Greens now.

Mellor wrote:
    A green minster for the environment, who would of thought

I don't know if they'll be given environment, that might go against FF's policy (and support) as the Greens would bring in actual working legislation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cliste wrote:

Well that's always been the way hasn't it. Pity.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well according to the SBPost it will most likely be PD's + independents.

It seems many in FF believe that the Greens are too "flaky" and would collapse the government and the first hint of controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

and Enda still thinks he can be Taoiseach god love him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

bk wrote:
    Well according to the SBPost it will most likely be PD's + independents.

It seems many in FF believe that the Greens are too "flaky" and would collapse the government and the first hint of controversy.

On the RTE 9 o'clock news this evening they were saying that FF placing the PD's + indies as first option was just a tactic to soften up the Green's expectations.

The biggest problem as I see it for the Greens is that they have never been in this situation before and have no experiance of the negotiating involved. If I were working in Green Party HQ I'd be straight on the phone to Roger Dawson to get him over here quick sharp. He could dance rings around Biffo!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Greens and FG in the next government? I'm scared!

I voted green this time around, but ... if the Greens and FG get in, the country will become a vacuum from the speed that the multinationals leave to avoid the tax hike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

10-10-20 wrote:
    Greens and FG in the next government? I'm scared!

I voted green this time around, but ... if the Greens and FG get in, the country will become a vacuum from the speed that the multinationals leave to avoid the tax hike.
    As opposed to bending over with our arses in the air asking anyone and everyone to make themselves comfortable??? Courting multi-nationals is not a long term solution to anything. Unfortunately, Fianna Fail have always been in the market for the shortest gain so whatever works in time for the next election will be implemented but it's about time we had someone, like the Greens, with a longer term perspective on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Cliste wrote:

You got it in one, my friend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gablin

If money meant all, the PDs would have been returned to government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I voted FF 1 and Greens 2.

I would like to see FF & Greens go into power together, but doubt it will happen.

The reason I voted like this is because under a majority Green or FG/Lab government the economy will collapse. And an unsustainable economy will never develop into a green economy.

I am a big believer that this country can become a much more environmentaly aware and proactive. But you have to be realistic, and clever in how it is done.

It is easy to tell everyone to leave their car at home and cycle or use public transport, but realistically this is not feasible in most cases. So, steps need to be taken first to make the transition to a greener way of life easier, that way it is more likely that people will maintain it.

Gablin wrote:
    If money meant all, the PDs would have been returned to government.

It would seem like that, but why vote for annoying leaders who give tax cuts (Mr McDowell) when you can have lovable rouges who also promise tax cuts (BBertie):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hang on OP, "the alternative" didn't have a bad election, FG gained a massive amount of seats and labour managed to stay fairly stable. The greens and smaller parties lost out because the electorate obviously don't feel the GP has the policies and quality representatives to go into government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

prospect wrote:
    under a majority Green or FG/Lab government the economy will collapse.

What is your reaonsing behind FG/Lab causing the economy to collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

BendiBus wrote:

agreed, to be fair any irish gov will have very little control over the economy, they don't set interest rates , money supply, borrowing is limited to 3%. if they raise taxes, people will quiet rightly evade tax.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BendiBus wrote:

Well the economy can collapse under any government, I'd rather have a solid, stable government in place to deal with it, then a government made up of every colour under the rainbow, which would likely spend far too much time bickering with itself.

Ok,

Well to be fair, I don't think FG had the fantastic election they would have us believe. The way I look at it, they are only making back the ground that they lost in their 2002 disaster election.

FG policies and figures just did not add up. Simple as that.

Enda Kenny was stumpe when grilled by Matt Cooper about how he would manage to increase hospital beds, increase nurses pay and decrease nurses working hours, and yet he reckoned he would not have to increase the health budget, and he would not have to take on more nurses???? I think FG are just naive to alot of things and that we would be seeing serious personal and VAT increases within 2 budgets to cover for all their poor predictions and calculations.

But, that is simply my opinion.

I hope that the greens do play a minority part in the new government and future governemnts, but can't see it happening.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    FG policies and figures just did not add up. Simple as that.

Aye, neither does Berties bank account!

Cliste wrote:
    Aye, neither does Berties bank account!

That is possible, but it does not directly effect my chances of remaining in gainful employment and paying the lowest income tax in europe for the next 5 years.

Anyway, this is gone wayyyy off topic.

My point is, green policies are good, but in order for them to work, they must be sustainable and pratical and not at the expense of the economy, otherwise the general public will simply not implement them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

off to politic we go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

bk wrote:
    Well the economy can collapse under any government, I'd rather have a solid, stable government in place to deal with it, then a government made up of every colour under the rainbow, which would likely spend far too much time bickering with itself.

A mix of FF/PD/Ind isn't going to be very stable either. FF and Lab is the most stable government, if Bertie is to be believed *cough* then I think this is a big possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

prospect wrote:
    That is possible, but it does not directly effect my chances of remaining in gainful employment and paying the lowest income tax in europe for the next 5 years.

Low tax, is that what it's about?

Yes, people in Ireland have the highest take home pay in Europe, but also the highest personal debt. So the whole low tax thing is a bit of a misnomer, because it's obviously not helping the people if they are so in debt. Ireland is badly planned and too expensive, so that low tax rate counts for nothing.

In Holland I pay more tax, but life is more affordable and sustainable in general. I have a four kilometer bicycle or bus commute, depending on the weather. I can walk to the supermarket and back. I can walk to the library and back. I cycle to football. The hospitals are world class. Food and drink is way, way cheaper than Ireland. Energy bills are way cheaper. Broadband is faster, more widespread and much cheaper than Ireland. There are special recycling bins for glass, paper, used clothing and biomass in every neighbourhood. There is a big park 10 minutes walk away.

If all that means I pay more tax, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Low tax, is that what it's about?
    Yes, people in Ireland have the highest take home pay in Europe, but also the highest personal debt. So the whole low tax thing is a bit of a misnomer, because it's obviously not helping the people if they are so in debt. Ireland is badly planned and too expensive, so that low tax rate counts for nothing.

In Holland I pay more tax, but life is more affordable and sustainable in general. I have a four kilometer bicycle or bus commute, depending on the weather. I can walk to the supermarket and back. I can walk to the library and back. I cycle to football. The hospitals are world class. Food and drink is way, way cheaper than Ireland. Energy bills are way cheaper. Broadband is faster, more widespread and much cheaper than Ireland. There are special recycling bins for glass, paper, used clothing and biomass in every neighbourhood. There is a big park 10 minutes walk away.

If all that means I pay more tax, then so be it.

So youre willing to pay more tax for cheaper services? I.E. less takehome pay, but not charged as much for food, drink and services? I dont see a real difference in outcomes, just a difference individual power over their own paypacket. Individuals get charged more to pay for services they might never use.

Personally, Ill take my chances with the less tax route so I have more takehome and thus more power over my own finances - I walk to work so cheaper public transport doesnt interest me, life is very affordable in terms of food, drink and entertainment - paying more tax isnt going to make it better. I've not been in hosptial since I was a kid so again Ill pay my health insurance and take my chances. Broadband benefited by taxes? The government monopoly told us for years that we didnt want broadband. There are plenty of recycling bins in Ireland - up to people to get off their arses and use them. Theres about a half dozen parks within walking distance of me. I actually cant remember living in an area that wasnt within a stones throw of a park or open area actually.

Let the government use the money it takes from us now in the best possible fashion. When they manage to cut out waste like voting machines they dont study or use, berties makeup, consultants, political junkets, kowtowing to unions in state services and appointing their buddies to state boards and still need some more cash then Ill consider voting for a party that says we need higher taxes to make ends meet. Until then they can go back to the budget and decide if they and their extended family and mates really need to travel to Florida to study the Disneyland resort for economic lessons that can be applied in Ireland. Its the tax payers money, not their bloody lottery win.

Oh and dont say "Oh well thats Fianna Fail - FG/Lab/Greens would never do things like that".
    On the RTE 9 o'clock news this evening they were saying that FF placing the PD's + indies as first option was just a tactic to soften up the Green's expectations.

Well, I think Bertie is in a fairly powerful position either way. The Greens might be considered flaky [i.e. principled, a dirty word in fianna fail] and the PDs and independants can be bulied a lot more - the PDs certainly will be in no position to make any demands. That said, given the risk of Flynn losing her seat then the Greens could be the most stable option overall.

Bertie can simply take the best offer from the Greens or PDs/Independants. Even if a group bails down the road, the possibility of swinging a deal with the others would still be open if he plays his cards right. He still even has Labour dreaming of him giving them a ring. Bertie must be purring.
    agreed, to be fair any irish gov will have very little control over the economy, they don't set interest rates , money supply, borrowing is limited to 3%. if they raise taxes, people will quiet rightly evade tax.

This is true, I think the most fantastic achievement of the EU has been prying the muppets away from the economic controls they consistently abused and manipulated for short term gains over decades of our history. However, it has to be acknowledged that Labour are the basically the political wing of the trade unions - hence the huge banner hanging from Liberty Hall. With them in power you have the unions representing us, the taxpayers, in negotiations with the unions representing the state employees. Thats a crappy scenario for tax payers and the economy in general.

Personally, Ill take my chances with the less tax route so I have more takehome and thus more power over my own finances - I walk to work so cheaper public transport doesnt interest me, life is very affordable in terms of food, drink and entertainment - paying more tax isnt going to make it better. I've not been in hosptial since I was a kid so again Ill pay my health insurance and take my chances. Broadband benefited by taxes? The government monopoly told us for years that we didnt want broadband. There are plenty of recycling bins in Ireland - up to people to get off their arses and use them. Theres about a half dozen parks within walking distance of me. I actually cant remember living in an area that wasnt within a stones throw of a park or open area actually.

Food and drink in Ireland is the most expensive in the EU. You find it very affordable. I take it you're not a single working mother? Ireland has one of the highest average personal debts in the EU. There's a reason for this. Seemingly, a lot of people can't afford to live in rip-off Ireland. In the case of Ireland, lower personal taxes has turned out to be a bit of a false economy.

Your hospital comment is very pertinent.

Broadband in the Netherlands is run by private companies, but the infrastructure it runs on was installed a long time ago. In the late mid to late 90s they dug up the street here to put in fibre optic cable. This has to do with government foresight and good use of public funds. Telecom Eireann was a state run monopoly, the did what they were told. The government decided we didn't need broadband. Now the market is privatised but the infrastructure needed was never put in. Private companies aren't going to invest the money needed to upgrade the network, they'll scrape as much profit as possible out of the current, aging network.

As far as I know the nearest recycling bins to where I lived in Cork city are at least four miles away, at the Kinsale road dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Lazairus wrote:
    A weaker EPA. It is evident that Irish people short slightness is to blame, they obviously don't give a toss,Well F**k them all . Those people who voted FF Will be the ones 50 years time , when half of Ireland is flooded , Why didn't i vote green. I can see it now. To me it seems that Irish people don't appreciate their country .
    Most who voted FF will not be alive in 50 years time. As a member of the Green party, I think we failed to get our message out there enough. Yes, some are motivated by nothing by greed, but I think most people do care about their children's future, and do care about Ireland. These people simply need to see that the Green way is a vote for your children and the country.
    10-10-20 wrote:
    Neither of those parties have a desire to raise corporate tax.
    silverharp wrote:
    Evading tax is not right.
    Hang on OP, "the alternative" didn't have a bad election, FG gained a massive amount of seats and labour managed to stay fairly stable. The greens and smaller parties lost out because the electorate obviously don't feel the GP has the policies and quality representatives to go into government.
    I would admit that in many rural constituencies the Green candidates were poor.
    Sand wrote:
    So youre willing to pay more tax for cheaper services? I.E. less takehome pay, but not charged as much for food, drink and services? I dont see a real difference in outcomes, just a difference individual power over their own paypacket. Individuals get charged more to pay for services they might never use.
    I take it you favour the American model then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Food and drink in Ireland is the most expensive in the EU. You find it very affordable. I take it you're not a single working mother?

Eh no, like a lot of people I'm not a single working mother. I dont see how charging single working mothers more tax would make their food and drink bills cheaper though? Theyd simply have even less takehome pay to spend.
    Ireland has one of the highest average personal debts in the EU. There's a reason for this. Seemingly, a lot of people can't afford to live in rip-off Ireland. In the case of Ireland, lower personal taxes has turned out to be a bit of a false economy.

The reason is two fold - low interest rates encouraged borrowing, because it was cheap. Employment reassured people that they can meet interest payments. Again, charging higher taxes simply means less takehome pay to service any debt people may have.
    Telecom Eireann was a state run monopoly, the did what they were told. The government decided we didn't need broadband. Now the market is privatised but the infrastructure needed was never put in. Private companies aren't going to invest the money needed to upgrade the network, they'll scrape as much profit as possible out of the current, aging network.

Oh I agree, the infrastructure is a natural monopoly and should have been retained by a state company dedicated purely to that task. However the track record of the government and telecom eireann is complete rubbish, they made a balls of the privatisation to the point where the concept itself has been utterly discredited in Irish politics [despite working in the netherlands]. *None* of the above indicates that if I pay the government more tax theyll deliver better broadband.
    As far as I know the nearest recycling bins to where I lived in Cork city are at least four miles away, at the Kinsale road dump.

Thats too bad. My nearest recycling bin is 5 minutes walk away.
    I take it you favour the American model then?

The American Model? Are you referring to the complete mess New York City made of its finances from an extremely generous provision of services by the city government, to the point where New York City was minutes from being declared bankrupt? That American model?

There is *no* American model outside of France, polemics and strawmen. Christ, if anything Irelands "stealth" tax model favours taxation on consumption rather than income - something I would have thought the Greens would welcome.

My view of taxation is that the government serves the interests of the citizens, and that it must justify taxation on that basis not simply because it deserves it inherently. Let the government and public services make use of the money they are currently given, cut out waste and mismanagement of *our* money. Let them do that first, rather than simply bumping up tax so they can waste more of it.

I have no particular issue with paying more tax if I can be confident that the government has exhausted all reasonable alternatives and the services are required and neccessary. I simply have no confidence in any Irish government given A) the incompetence of the civil service and government in general and B) the attitude that its somehow the government money and none of the taxpayers business.

There has never been any evidence of a link between higher taxes and better services in Ireland. And in terms of Health its well known that money has been thrown at the health services and apparently our hospitals are death wards and hell holes. So the problem isnt money - its sorting out the consultants, nurses and structures in place that are contributing to the mess. Let the government sort that out first, then well see if they need higher taxes.

• Advertisement

The reason is two fold - low interest rates encouraged borrowing, because it was cheap. Employment reassured people that they can meet interest payments. Again, charging higher taxes simply means less takehome pay to service any debt people may have.

But the whole of the Eurozone has the same interest rates as Ireland and there is full employment in the Benelux region... yet these people don't see the need to get up to their eyeballs in debt in they same way the people of Ireland have. Housing, food and services are more affordable, so there was no need rack up the debt. Of course, this is only partly down to paying tax for proper services, a lot of it is also due to decent planning and forward thinking. Something sorely lacking in Bertie's Ireland.

Advertisement