Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greens election

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Lazairus wrote:
    Those people who voted FF Will be the ones 50 years time , when half of Ireland is flooded , Why didn't i vote green.

I can't believe this ridiculous quote has gotten away without so much as a passing comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I would have voted Green, but mixed in with sensible policies regarding public transport and co2 emissions is retarded hippy crap like being against zoos, nuclear power and target shooting so I said no. Also, their solution to just about *every* problem seems to involve setting up a new government department/committee/scheme - I think we have enough of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

Green party policies are for some imaginary ideal world which will never exist. Money is the driving force and will stay that way.

Green's need to wake up to this. They have a few decent practical plans like schools/recycling but then **** it up by trying to stop major road building when we need proper fast motorway systems crossing the country, we need motorway ringroads around major cities ETC. Other transport infrastructure like fly-overs or High speed train system's being put underground need to be built where people need them not where some trees would rather them.

They seem to think they can make people not want cars :confused:, WTF if didn't want a car i wouldn't buy one. And incase they do know this cars sales and ownership are going to continue to grow in ireland and need to be accommodated for.

Nuclear energy would help Ireland alot with pollution and our dependency on oil but although there is little chance of them been built with current goverment theres no chance with greens.

And will people stop with this crap that Ireland is going to be flooded in 50 years yada yada. we don't even know if co2 emissions from people are responcible for the planet warming yet they want put in place plans that will stifle business, cost the economy billions, reduce our competitiveness in an increasingly competitive global economy where companies will jump ship to easier to work in countries who favor business and the economy.

Im glad they got nowhere, maybe the next generation of green members might wake up to the real world around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

What annoys me is that the irish people made it quite clear what gov they want - FF/Greens. They only voted in 2 PDs so they couldnt have made it clearer that they do not want them back in gov, yet FF are able to go and try get them in?

I know the reasoning is that FF think they work well with PDS but surely the idea of domocracy is that the people choose so it shouldnt really matter what FF think or want. They are the bigger party so surely if the greens were in gov with them and came up with some idea that FF didnt like then it just wouldnt go through? Sure there would be arguments etc but Id prefer there to be a bit of debate rather than the 'yes sir, of course sir, arent ya feckin great sir' that the PDS seem to go on with.

Id also love to see the independants get a chance in gov, I got flyers in the door saying a vote for independents was a wasted vote -dont remember which party, was FF or FG but obviously they were wrong.

I voted FG 1 labour 2 purely bec my local candidates are very good and deserve to get in, think I put greens no 3 then FF but would be very happy with a FF/GREEN gov, would do my nut to see PDS get in, 5 more years of the same crap, I was of the opinion we need a change but wasnt so sure the other parties were up to the job so FF/Green would be enough of a change with some stability imo.

ps. Im a total armchair polititan, pontificating watching the news with a bottle of vino so if im waaay off the mark with my ramblings my apologies!!!

just read the above posts and I agree the greens are a bit hippyish in their ideas and I dont agree with them on everything - deffo we need decent roadways - but thats why I think theyd be good with FF, opposites attract and all that, greens are hippys and FF are anything but. Maybe we might actually get a gov thats got a good middle ground that suits the ordinary folk for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Jotter wrote:
    What annoys me is that the irish people made it quite clear what gov they want - FF/Greens. They only voted in 2 PDs so they couldnt have made it clearer that they do not want them back in gov, yet FF are able to go and try get them in?

Not sure you got that out of the results. As time goes by seems the result wasa lot more less clear-cut.

The Greens ran a campaign largely anti-FF policies so I think a lot of their votes were anti incumbent. The fact that FF did a clever job of using the PDs as a scapegoat for all their failures hardly masks that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bad bad man

Lazairus wrote:
    I am sad , because greens and the alternative done, so bad , to me this is really bad.

Cheer up!!! The "Greens" aren't about the environment. They're communists under a more soothing moniker.

The best way to assure the best for the environment is prosperity, for prosperous nations can afford green technology. I haven't seen all communist nations, but the ones I've seen looked pretty trashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Didn't the Greens get the same proportion of the vote in this election that the PDs got in the last one?

Being against nuclear power isn't, as it's so courteously put, 'retarded hippy crap'; it's a long-term view. Storing up the deadly poison of nuclear waste is not a good move for the future of humanity and other animals.

And we don't have an economy at the moment; we have a bunch of crooked builders and crooked politicians with their hands in each other's pockets feeling for what's there. An economy would involve producing stuff and selling it abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Cheer up!!! The "Greens" aren't about the environment. They're communists under a more soothing moniker.

The best way to assure the best for the environment is prosperity, for prosperous nations can afford green technology. I haven't seen all communist nations, but the ones I've seen looked pretty trashed.

Yeah there communists sargent is so like Stalin it's scary:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

paddyman wrote:
    And will people stop with this crap that Ireland is going to be flooded in 50 years yada yada. we don't even know if co2 emissions from people are responcible for the planet warming yet they want put in place plans that will stifle business, cost the economy billions, reduce our competitiveness in an increasingly competitive global economy where companies will jump ship to easier to work in countries who favor business and the economy.
    Yeah, because its going to be so easy to be competitive when oil hits something like $100 a barrel:rolleyes: There are other reasons for reducing our dependency on cars than purely enviromental ones (although I do agree, greens may have to bite the bullet and consider nuclear power).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

At the moment, we're nuttily un-green. I don't know anyone with a solar panel - do know *one* family with a Bord na Mona toilet, which cost a fortune.

Two-thirds of my rubbish by bulk is plastic packaging, which is completely unnecessary, but everything I buy seems to come in three or four layers of plastic and cardboard.

I use the car because the public transport system is so crap (I do take the bus and cycle, have an annual bus ticket - but I still find it necessary to run a car.)

Ireland's dependence on energy would plunge if we really turned our attention and lavish grant aid to proper insulation; solar water heating; heat pumps; cheap, working, timely and pleasant-to-use public transport; wind- and wave-power; municipal composting, etc.

At the moment it's not easy, as Kermit says, to be green.

• Advertisement
Advertisement