Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Awwww.... born too late?

• 25-05-2007 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Just going through a thread on Metalireland about ticket stubs and I remembered I have this little nugget here which is probably the dream gig for a lot of the readers of this forum. £10 at the time in the intimate settings of the Tivoli, how much would a gig like this cost now, eh? :)

ratm.jpg
    Tool didn't actually play though, twas Whipping Boy who supported ha ha ha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Damn, nice one. ****er. :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Now you're just showing off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Have that ticket myself somewhere in a folder full of tickets!
    Just a pity Tool didn't end up supporting.
    That was one late gig - it finished at something like 1.30am & then we had to fork out for a taxi home. Not so great when you live out in the sticks, are still at school & have feck all money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

feylya wrote:
    Now you're just showing off!

Nah, tis just the one the sadly gets the biggest reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

You'd have to pay ME significantly more money to go to a Rage against the machine gig. Eugh :)

• Advertisement

Sadly? That's a pretty cool ticket, Doc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

That was on my 6th birthday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A classic ticket stub thread would be cool. Surely you must have been to some more gems J-Zilla, you've been around long enough :p

Sure he was at Elvis's first gig, don'cha know? :p Thought he hadn't a hope too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Doctor J wrote:
    Tool didn't actually play though, twas Whipping Boy who supported ha ha ha

WB are cool though :>

• Advertisement

John wrote:
    A classic ticket stub thread would be cool. Surely you must have been to some more gems J-Zilla, you've been around long enough :p

Yeah but a lot of them feature a certain unmentionable promoter ;)

Curse their oily hides!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Didn't Pantera and Metallica play here on the Cowboys From Hell and ...And Justice for All tour respectively? That'd be a ticket I'd like to see ;)t

Pantera played with Megadeth after Cowboys From Hell and played the SFX touring Vulgar Display. I was at them both but lost the ticket to the SFX one and my Metallica ticket from 88 in the Top Hat :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ahh whipping boy, one of my favourite irish groups. Was listening to Heartworm earlier in the van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Doctor J wrote:
    Pantera played with Megadeth after Cowboys From Hell and played the SFX touring Vulgar Display. I was at them both but lost the ticket to the SFX one and my Metallica ticket from 88 in the Top Hat :(
    Ah Megadeth, that was the one. :)

Man, that would have been some gig. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Doc,
    ...must check my own missing collection!! nearly sure i have horslips from 1978 with thin lizzy at wembley arena somewhere!!!

i'll have a search......Baggio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Doctor J wrote:

yeah and Pantera kicked Megadeth's ass that night :)

I also remember Megadeth and The Almighty in the Point too

Some others here :)

Nice! I never knew Death played here. Amazing?

• Advertisement

Life changing. That was on the Human tour with the two lads from Cynic. I had been obsessively listening to that album since it came out and seeing it live and also what the Cynic guys added to the older tunes, especially the Spiritual Healing songs, was just something really special which is a part of me to this day :D

Lucky man. No wonder you get all misty eyed when you mention Death and Cynic.

Yeah, I get the whole wavey thing going on :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Nice collection! Tickets looked much nicer back in those days, before they added all those fancy security features.

Does anyone have pictures of the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire? I'd love to see what it looked like as a Fun Factory regular back in the day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Thought this was going to be a Vitus thread :P

Aye, nice aul collection you have there Doctor J, pity theres none like them in my collection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Great collection Doctor J - I was at a few of them myself, and possibly still have the ticket stubs somewhere.

Those old tickets looked so much better than todays generic computer print-outs. I'd forgotten about the ones where they used to write the band name on them! :D

£12.50 for Iron Maiden in 1990, jeez...I think it was £6 each time I saw Xentrix & Judas Priest was £10 in 1991. AC/DC were a bit more and by them time I got to my first Metallica gig (1992) the prices had gone up to about £17 for a show in the Point.

You could buy a ticket and still have change for the trolley ride home!

What I really like are those hand written tickets, I thought they were invoices for a second.

Advertisement