Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal paste?

Options
  • 25-05-2007 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hey
    just got all the parts to my new pc and was about to start building when I realised i had no Thermal paste!
    I had thought some would come with the processer.
    Is it needed for the pc to run properly?

Can I remove the heat sink later and put some on then?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Hey
    just got all the parts to my new pc and was about to start building when I realised i had no Thermal paste!
    I had thought some would come with the processer.
    Is it needed for the pc to run properly?

Can I remove the heat sink later and put some on then?
    :confused:

hi the_goose,
    u NEED thermal paste.its very important.

is there not a pad of it on the heatsink/cooler?
    IF NOT DONT TURN PC ON.

if there is you can build away but most people would recommend buyin some artic silver paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Thank fook, the heatsink has it pre applied. Thank you AMD/

Wish me luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Thank fook, the heatsink has it pre applied. Thank you AMD/

Wish me luck

your welcome.
    dont forget to post your progress here and if you have any probs post here coz the guys on boards are very helpfull/knowledgeable.
    good luck with the build and take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Thank you AMD

:( Its beyond me why people are still going towards amd? Intel are obv better?

Did you do research?

A friend of mine who just built a computer.. went amd.. He told me now this is true.. you can overclock the cpu(X2 6400 I think) and it wont "SLOW" down at all I researched it?

I thought overclcocking makes it go quicker? I think people still think amd are better for games?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Its beyond me why people are still going towards amd? Intel are obv better?

At a Guess , price ? Considerable savings to be had with AMD vs Intel , and despite all the marketing hype about core2duo etc , the CPU's contribution to actual game performance is marginal in most cases , as AMD 64 X 2 processor can be just as good or damn near it in the case of games.

The graphics card is the main component to be worried about when it comes to games performance , not the CPU. It makes sense to save some money on the CPU and re-direct it to a powerhouse GPU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement