Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Feature Request] Irish

Options
  • 25-05-2007 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if an option could be made to make boards be in Irish.

Other sites are half in Irish, If it's possible I'm willing to help with the translation etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭dranoel

I would really like to see an 'As Gaeilge' button which would change all of Boards headings to Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Any of you three know php and willing to write the code?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i want an Ulster scots button then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Tartan button with matching tie. Happy now Ruggie? :D

ff-gingblue.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I dont see how localisation/translation would require any php knowledge?

A simple CTRL+H/find & replace would work. Finding specific words and replacing them with the corresponding Irish words.

I'm not saying it wouldnt be difficult, but it certainly wouldnt be as much work as say, adding a big red button that translates all posts into Irish.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

A CSS file that just translates the site's own text into Irish should be doable. I doubt very much that there's any chance that posts could be translated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

A CSS file that just translates the site's own text into Irish should be doable. I doubt very much that there's any chance that posts could be translated.

I was thinking tha myself, it couldnt cope with text speak, and spelling errors.

I would be seriously impressed if it could

Ivan wrote:
    I dont see how localisation/translation would require any php knowledge?

A simple CTRL+H/find & replace would work. Finding specific words and replacing them with the corresponding Irish words.

I'm not saying it wouldnt be difficult, but it certainly wouldnt be as much work as say, adding a big red button that translates all posts into Irish.

It would have to be integrated into the Vbulletin software, which would require php coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

VBulletin allows you load language packs or define your own language packs.

It's a very simple thing actually and used on many sites.

Basically, every single "Phrase" on every single page is stored as a separate item. Then you define the text of every phrase in the language pack. vBulletin then loads the phrases based on what language the user has selected.

There is no need to know PHP coding, vBulletin provides a user interface for creating your own language pack.

There may be one already written for vB. Anyone want to search?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I'd use this, if it was ever made.

Edit:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/language_manage

Just like Seamus said, this looks éasca as a cáca milis...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

seamus wrote:

Basically, every single "Phrase" on every single page is stored as a separate item. Then you define the text of every phrase in the language pack. vBulletin then loads the phrases based on what language the user has selected.

There is no need to know PHP coding, vBulletin provides a user interface for creating your own language pack.

Basically you'll have a bunch of message variables in a file with corresponding messages in English, all it would take would be translating these into Irish and loading the file based on region information or user selection.

seamus wrote:

hmm, so would this be applied to posts or just things like forum names and buttons?

Karlusss: There appears to be some gibberish at the end of your post, I couldn't make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Only buttons, error messages, warnings, system links and all that stuff.

Ok, so I'll go back to my orginal point, you'd have to code something yourself and integrated it into VB to get what the OP seems to be looking for

Boston wrote:
    Ok, so I'll go back to my orginal point, you'd have to code something yourself and integrated it into VB to get what the OP seems to be looking for
    Ah I don't think so. He says that he's willing to help with the translation, which means that he either has no idea how much information is in the database, or he just wants the standard stuff to be as Gaeilge.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It would be enough just to have the various standard stuff in Irish. That said, there seems to be a good few Irish speakers knocking about, so it could just be a project for a group to work on.

I wouldn't get over-excited about it yet though. There are still a good many more things that will be prioritised over this. It could be some time before there's a result on this if the admins think it's worth-while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Just a thought, you know those drop down menues, aren't they updated manually everytime a new forum is added?

If you were hoping to translate the menue into Irish, then perhaps it would be a good idea to have someone fluent in Irish whos job it is to keep an eye on the Forums Forum and add the translation to new forum idea threads as they appear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It could be some time before there's a result on this if the admins think it's worth-while.

When do we hear the admins opinion?

And as I said I'm willing to help...
    Karlusss wrote:

As I amn't privilaged with a admin control panel any idea how that'd work?

Cliste wrote:
    When do we hear the admins opinion?

It's sloted in for 4 pm next tueday.

How about you make it clear exactly what you want in irish.

• Advertisement

Cliste wrote:
    As I amn't privilaged with a admin control panel any idea how that'd work?
    Well there are two ways to approach it:

An admin (somehow) gets a list of all of the phrases and posts them up here. Then someone translates them, and the admin loads them into the system.

Or someone that will do all of the work installs a blank vBulletin system somewhere, uses the control panel on that to develop their own language pack, and then exports it for use elsewhere.

Also Boston, may have been slightly right after all. I would guess that the top menu is hardcoded instead of having multilanguage functionality. So some PHP coding may be involved (though someone could just translate the menus and and admin do the coding).

It's a nice idea, but it also raises another question - what about other languages? What if we add in a French pack. Then someone signs up, sees that they can localise the forum into French, and then starts posting in french.
    Would this be an issue?

Boston wrote:
    How about you make it clear exactly what you want in irish.

All the titles, stuff like the links button etc. Not the actual posts.
    seamus wrote:
    It's a nice idea, but it also raises another question - what about other languages? What if we add in a French pack. Then someone signs up, sees that they can localise the forum into French, and then starts posting in french.
    Would this be an issue?

Well it's boards.ie not fr or de...... But if people actually want it in foreign languages then surely that'd be even easier as main foreign languages are available on the vbulliten main site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

As regards translating it into other languages, there's no reason that can't happen too if a number of people feel strongly about it. Why not?
    But the fact is this is thread is about Irish and it's going off the subject of the thread by talking about other language options.
    I nominate simu to do the translation ;)

I know it's not exactly the same, but netvibes gets a combined effort to give translations, You log in and type in translations and then they're put up if you have chosen that language in the setting toolbar:

www.netvibes.com

Boston wrote:
    It's sloted in for 4 pm next tueday.

It's Wednesday now....? any news??

Heh. Boston was taking the proverbial.

Right, I'm willing to manage this one.

What we need is:

1. Someone to download an existing language pack from vbulletin.com. As luck would have it, there is an English (UK) pack available for download:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163399
    Unfortunately you need to be a vBulletin customer to access the download, and I am not one.

2. A list of people willing to offer time to do this. There are only a few hundred phrases to do. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Once we have the above pack downloaded, hopefully it's already split into pages, and we can divide the work out. If not, I'll break it up myself.

We'll use the Development Forum for this.

Once the we have the language pack and a handful of volunteers, I'll get cracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cliste wrote:
    Erm, I think Boston may have been extracting the urine a little bit mate.

The Admin people are all quite busy with real life stuff at the moment, just have a bit of patience.

They MAY reply to the thread if they feel it's a decent idea, and can implement it easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

seamus wrote:
    I'll do it, this work of greatness

Fair play seamus. I'll certainly be using it if it gets finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Cliste wrote:
    I give up. After 40 mins I couldnt find a good enough picture for the situation

• Advertisement

Thanks lads! :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement