Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Feature Request] Irish

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I selected some of the phrases from Boards' home page and went to the wiki to find the corresponding entries but loads of them are missing. I couldn't find the following for instance: "All times are GMT..." "Filter Latest Posts" "Recent Updates" "subscribed" "Latest Forum Posts" "Thread Title (Replies)".

Any chance of getting the full set of front-end phrases?

I also see that Peoplesrepublicofcork.com are working with Fóras na Gaeilge to create an Irish language interface. They are using vBulletin as well and they have almost everything translated. How about getting a copy of that pack?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Front page is hardcoded, not a part of vBulletin.

That won't be translated.

That's a pity, if the home page can't have an Irish version - then I think we can forget about this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    That's a pity, if the home page can't have an Irish version - then I think we can forget about this project.
    No need to be that negative about it.
    The front page on boards is completely different to most vbulletin forums so of course it's gonna be different.

Having the rest of the site as Gaeilge would be plenty (and certainly something to work from).
    I also see that Peoplesrepublicofcork.com are working with Fóras na Gaeilge to create an Irish language interface. They are using vBulletin as well and they have almost everything translated. How about getting a copy of that pack?
    That does look interesting, they mention that once they've finished the translation they're gonna release the vbulletin language pack to anyone. I think we've made good work on our translation so far so there's no point in just waiting for Foras to finish what they're at, but we should definitely have a look at it once it's done and compare to our own work.

EDIT: I've emailed Foras to see how they're getting on with the translation. Hopefully we can all put our heads together and get this up and running.

ok so, to progress the project I think we have to separate out all the front-end phrases, they're lost amongst all the back-end phrases there at the moment. I'd suggest we put all the front-end phrases onto a new wiki page of their own.

If we could get the front-end phrases from the Forás it would save a lot of work but I'm happy to keep going either way.

I just need to know if it would be a problem for Cult to put up a semi-translated pack.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ok so, to progress the project I think we have to separate out all the front-end phrases, they're lost amongst all the back-end phrases there at the moment. I'd suggest we put all the front-end phrases onto a new wiki page of their own.

If we could get the front-end phrases from the Forás it would save a lot of work but I'm happy to keep going either way.

I just need to know if it would be a problem for Cult to put up a semi-translated pack.
    No problem with putting up a semi translated pack, no need for you guys to translate the admin stuff that you'll never see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

CuLT wrote: »
    No problem with putting up a semi translated pack, no need for you guys to translate the admin stuff that you'll never see.
    Yessah massah.
    Let no man set the boundaries to the march of a Nation.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Apologies for resurecting this thread - but it is revevant I swear!

I think the translation for thepeoplesrepublicofcork to gaeilge is done, and is available for download here, as I'm not a member - and too lazy to register on that forum I don't have it here so I can't check it.

Is there any chance it could be implimented!?

Cliste wrote: »
    Apologies for resurecting this thread - but it is revevant I swear!

I think the translation for thepeoplesrepublicofcork to gaeilge is done, and is available for download here, as I'm not a member - and too lazy to register on that forum I don't have it here so I can't check it.

Is there any chance it could be implimented!?

Just had a look at that language pack. It could do with a bit of tidying up. Random capitalisation all over the shop. :S

A good start though, maybe throw it up as it is and seeing it live will mean we'll see what needs more work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Wow! Fair play

• Advertisement

Just had a look at that language pack. It could do with a bit of tidying up. Random capitalisation all over the shop. :S

A good start though, maybe throw it up as it is and seeing it live will mean we'll see what needs more work.

Yea well if we get it up, and put the translation up on the wiki we can change some of the stuff as we like...

Ronny,

Any chance I could look at the language pack? I registered on that forum - but it still won't let me download the file...

If there's a VBulletin language pack for Irish available, I'd love to see Boards install it

Cliste wrote: »
    Ronny,

Any chance I could look at the language pack? I registered on that forum - but it still won't let me download the file...

Oops, rinne mé dearmad glan faoi seo.

I've uploaded it here now if you wanna take a look at it.

Oops, rinne mé dearmad glan faoi seo.

I've uploaded it here now if you wanna take a look at it.

Fadhb ar bith - Go raibh míle maith agat!

It looks a bit short is the only thing (If you compare it to the one on the wiki that we have...)

I'd be interested in hearing from one of the Admins - are we still on for using the translation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Yep! Only caveat is that it's a working translation; we wouldn't be able to commit to fixing errors or adding extra stuff every other day or week.

Basically we need to be able to install it once and forget about it :)

Ross wrote: »
    Yep! Only caveat is that it's a working translation; we wouldn't be able to commit to fixing errors or adding extra stuff every other day or week.

Basically we need to be able to install it once and forget about it :)

Ah, ok, cheers. Guess we need to iron it out a little to make sure it's kosher before knocking it out.

We've a bit more work to do before I'd be happy to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Looks quite iffy to me... and Foras did that? I just had a cursory glance and saw a few things sticking out... :-/

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Just wondering if there's anything going on with this anymore? I'd really love to see this happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Going to have to stop the show on this one, I'm afraid. The motivation isn't there, and we haven't the time to dedicate to it in the office.

It also might cause us technical problems in the future where we'd have to end up dropping the support for it - it'd be worse to have it finished only to have it removed at a later date.

Sorry folks.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement