Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for online gaming

Options
  • 25-05-2007 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi, just wanna know which broadband connection is suitable for online gaming, i.e. low latency.. i play world of warcraft and also warcraft III on Battle.Net.

I heard people said the mobile broadband from Three is decent, http://three.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm ,any comment?

tanx.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 godsent

btw, im living in cork city..around UCC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Stay away from Three. Their so-called broadband modems are no faster than a dial-up modem and frequently slower.

Dublin area average for the last three nights 8pm - 2am have been less than 50Kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

Also stay clear of clearwire for gaming, they have been completely blocking Eve-Online for the last 7 weeks and totally deny it. I can only assume they would do the same with other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

3 will be crap for gaming even if the speeds are good. It is a limitation of their technology that it won't work for games that require good ping times.

I use IBB Breeze in Maynooth and have no problems gaming on it. Cable & phone providers should be fine (in theory) too. No mobile broadband provider (except digiweb although thats still basically in trial) and I wouldn't trust small wireless operators either (the 40:1 contention for 512kbps speed type ones) as they get bad rep for this all the time in rural areas where some use Satellite backhaul apparently (this is based on other posts on boards not facts).

Avoid Ice and Clearwire if you want to stay sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Any Cable provider (NTL / Chorus) or any DSL provider should be fine. I'd suggest BT with a phone + DSL package, you dont really get any cheaper than that if you want to have a landline in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Im guessing since your around UCC your a student without a phone line so no dsl
    3 can be very good but in some places like some parts of dublin there are simply to many people using the mast slowing down the speed, Ive had much experience using it in a small enough town in Limerick and ALWAYS get very fast s[eeds
    though in or around UCC you would want to ask someone there who has it already to be honest, though you never know the majority of complaints seem to be coming from dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I' with a wireless provider and 1 meg down / 1/2 meg up connection - we're playing Archlord with 2 people at the same time with no probs whatsoever

Advertisement