Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Tainiste / Ministers? Who do you want??

Options
  • 25-05-2007 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Assuming at this stage that FF will be in power without another party (indo support say) - who will get jobs in cabinet?

Tainiste: Dermot Ahern
    Finance: Brian Cowen
    Education: Mary Hanafin
    Arts/Sports: John O'Donoghue
    Health: Willie O'Dea

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

also

Transport: Mary O'Rourke

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

I think she's a complete ****ing incompetent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I want Mary Hanafin as far away from education as is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭keystone

I wouldn't rule out them needing or using Harney for Health.

For me and I must stress that not by choice

Tainiste: Michael Martin
    Finance: Brian Cowen
    Arts/Sports: John O'Donoghue
    Health: Mary Harney
    Justice: Dermot Ahern
    Transport: Willie O' Dea

Bertie will take a one of the Junior Ministers or a Back Bencher forward....I fancy Brian Lenihan Jnr for a bigger role somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

willy o'dea minister for health

hahahahahaha

actually, perhaps ff voters deserve that after today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tainiste: Brian Cowen
    Finance: Michael Martin
    Justice: John O'Donohue
    Transport: Noel Dempsey

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

slumped wrote:
    also

Transport: Mary O'Rourke

Couldn't edit OP?

irish1 wrote:
    Tainiste: Brian Cowen
    Finance: Michael Martin
    Justice: John O'Donohue
    Transport: Noel Dempsey

Dempsey would be a good bet actually however I don't think that Cowen will be moved from Finance.

I hate to say it but Willie O'Dea will get a big one. He got 40% of the vote I've heard.....that will be a big bargaining chip for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

presuming a change at the Dept of Communications(+ fish) who would Boardsies like to see as overseeing Broadband and telecommunications in this country for the next five years? Im not really up on FF competencies, preferably someone with a long term view. You have all filled up the same names to posistions...what about Seamus Brennan...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Dick Roche for Health

• Advertisement

Brennan for Enterprise
    Dick Roche for the back bench. Bertie will get rid of eaither Roche or Cullen. My money is on Roche to be the casualty consider how well Cullen did in the polls.

keystone wrote:
    Dempsey would be a good bet actually however I don't think that Cowen will be moved from Finance.

I hate to say it but Willie O'Dea will get a big one. He got 40% of the vote I've heard.....that will be a big bargaining chip for him.
    Willy O'Dea did get twice the surplus but I think he will remain in Defence, although he may get Justice but unlikely.

Cowen could be Tanaiste and Finance actually so that is probably more likely so then maybe Martin for Communications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think Cullen will hold a ministry.. He topped the poll with about 3000 more votes than was expected and could well bring 2 other FF TDs with him yet.

irish1 wrote:
    Willy O'Dea did get twice the surplus but I think he will remain in Defence, although he may get Justice but unlikely.

Cowen could be Tanaiste and Finance actually so that is probably more likely so then maybe Martin for Communications?

I've a feeling that Brian Lenihan Jnr might get the Comminications brief....he is FF Leader material I've been told.

Could be right there keystone Lenihan has done well and he is a strong figure in FF.

We might be asking who will replace Bertie after the Mahon tribunal gets going again......now thats an interesting conversation.

If Cowen is Taniste.....Bertie may be preparing for the worst....or maybe I've got my conspiracy theory hat on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd like to see Brian Lenihan be made a minister. He's been in the media and subjected to alot of interrogation in recent months, and he handles it very well. I'd say he'd be very disappointed not to be made a minister.

Don't think anything new will come from it, if Bertie has to go in with Greens or others I think he may go mid term so he doesn't lead the party into an election that may not be winnable.

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'd like to see Brian Lenihan be made a minister. He's been in the media and subjected to alot of interrogation in recent months, and he handles it very well. I'd say he'd be very disappointed not to be made a minister.

It seems that all the dynamic young TD/Candidates are with FF at the moment. They are quite the political machine.

BTW, I'm a labour man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

There is no overall majority so we are going to have a non-FF tanaiste . . my money is on FF-LAB with Brendan Howlin as tanaiste (Rabbitte has gone too far !)

• Advertisement

Yea looks liks Seargant or Rabbite for Tanaiste is a strong possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

There is no overall majority so we are going to have a non-FF tanaiste . . my money is on FF-LAB with Brendan Howlin as tanaiste (Rabbitte has gone too far !)

Were ye watching Rabbitte there . . he's already started to roll backwards !

Were ye watching Rabbitte there . . he's already started to roll backwards !

I missed it! What did he say?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Tanaiste and minister for education: Mary Hanafin
    Health: Brian Cowen
    Defence: Willie O'Dea
    Sports/Tourism: John O'Donoghue
    Finance: Micheal Martin
    Transport: Martin Cullen
    Justice: (Thought McDowell did great job here BTW) Lenihan
    Foreign Affairs: Dermot Ahern

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

Tom Kitt probably due a ministerial role?

whassupp2 wrote:
    Tanaiste and minister for education: Mary Hanafin
    Health: Brian Cowen
    Defence: Willie O'Dea
    Sports/Tourism: John O'Donoghue
    Finance: Micheal Martin
    Transport: Martin Cullen
    Justice: (Thought McDowell did great job here BTW) Lenihan
    Foreign Affairs: Dermot Ahern

I'd be happy enough with that except for Michael Martin. I dont think he has what it takes for Finance.

Ahern for Health,
    Cowan for Finance,
    Martin for Foreign Affairs. (Now the North is sorted, it might be a quieter job).

Labour or Greens or whoever props up FF will get 3 to 5 Minister positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Surely Defence should be moved to junior Minister status? What does that Minister do anyway? Has O'Dea got the easiest ministry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

McSpud wrote:
    Surely Defence should be moved to junior Minister status? What does that Minister do anyway? Has O'Dea got the easiest ministry?

I agree and foreign affairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I would be more inclined to see FF/Lab ... but on the original assumption:

I would imagine Cowen would be Tanaiste AND retain Finance ... put him in a very strong position to take over (think UK).

Willie O'Dea would definitely get a Cabinet seat, but somewhere less controversial than Health, as he tends to suffer from foot-in-mouth disease at times (unless Bertie is out to scupper him).

Dermot Ahern and Micheal Martin for senior posts ... and yes I think Brian Lenihan will get something decent.
    Tom Kitt probably due a ministerial role?
    ... especially as it looks like 3 Kitts in this Dail (including Aine)

Wouldn't be surprised to see Bobby Aylward get something (probably junior, but maybe ...) to protect those 3 seats in Carlow-Kilkenny.
    There is no overall majority so we are going to have a non-FF tanaiste . .
    I think this is far more likely. If so, and they go for the stable FF/Lab option, can anyone else see Mary O'Rourke in the Ceann Comhairle's seat? She's a very experienced parliamentarian, and it would solve the Longford-Westmeath debacle, and almost guarantee FF 2 safe seats there next time round.

Advertisement