Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election, Leitrim

• 25-05-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

It official

Leitrim does not have a representitive allocated to the county.

Not a good state of affairs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Yeah, it's not very good news. Comiskey didn't get much votes from Leitrim at all did he? He got most of his votes from Sligo. Ironic that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Tbh, the voters of North Leitrim should look at themselves. Is it worth returning members of your beloved Fianna Fail at the expense of your entire county not having a T.D. north or south? I'm stunned that Comiskey did so badly. It was a big ask to take a seat, but it looks like very few of his fellow county people cared anyway.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

il gatto wrote:
    Tbh, the voters of North Leitrim should look at themselves. Is it worth returning members of your beloved Fianna Fail at the expense of your entire county not having a T.D. north or south? I'm stunned that Comiskey did so badly. It was a big ask to take a seat, but it looks like very few of his fellow county people cared anyway.:(
    May say something about the movement of population around the region, the number of blow ins in the likes of manor and dromahair. It seems to have been a campaign of them or us with the bigger parties. perhaps people were jsut interested in the issues (or the scare tactics) not the geography aspects. Anyway dissapointing. But sure look at the lost of the likes of jerry Cowley for the corrib gas campaign (and older peoples issues) is huge in mayo. Theres been big losts all round cos of this tribalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

The people of Leitrim had their chance to elect people from both North and South Leitrim, but they decided against it. Hopefully those in Leitrim who voted for Sligo/Roscommon candidates will be the last to complain if some particular issue isn't addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

but by splitting the county we had no chance.

28000 live in the whole county. Ther is that in sligo alone. What chance did the county have..... none

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

That's not what happened though.

I don't know about Ellis' position, but Comiskey got as many votes in Sligo as he had expected.. It was his North Leitrim vote that let him down. As far as I've been told, Dromahair (practically Comiskey's heartland) gave more first pref votes to Scanlon, and Manorhamilton gave a sizeable number of votes to Scanlon also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Yes. Comiskey got alot of Sligo votes because of his I.F.A. connections and his status as a rural candidate. I have heard that Imelda Henry overstepped her bounds a bit by canvassing heavily in his area though, and handed out Henry No.1 flyers also. That wasn't the plan. 1500 more fist preference votes and he would have swung it. Ellis never had a chance in South Leitrim. He would have got next to nothing from Roscommon.
    It's a sad state of affairs that 1 county out of 26 hasn't one person representing them in the Dáil, and with the best will in the world, those elcected to represent Leitrim from Sligo and Roscommon would find it hard to do a decent job when they don't live amongst the people. (Especially Devins, who seemingly finds it hard to do any of the work associated with being a T.D.) Scanlan has an office in Manorhamilton, but I wonder if it will receive the attention now that he's got his seat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why does Leitrim need its own TD?

Why does Leitrim have a disproportionate number of councillors and thereby, Seanad votes?

I have a solution for what you see as a problem. Abolish Leitrim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Victor wrote:

Why does Leitrim have a disproportionate number of councillors and thereby, Seanad votes?

For all those reasons that you should be familliar with in the threads you moderate. Ie because of the likes of a lack of transport infrastructure, a disproportionate number of suicides to the rest of the country, planning legislation been let go astray and decades of rural depopulation. Leitrim has been the poor relation for a long time probably because of such entrenched attitudes. And folk would like to sterotype country people as small minded?
    Humour (if this is what you are attempting) has been used far to often to put segments of populations and races down.
    Most people can see it for what it is now.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Victor wrote:

this is what you expect from people who have never been to leitrim, let alone know where it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement