Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVAN YATES - lowering the tone of the competition

Options
  • 25-05-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Your man from Q&A raised this with Ivan, when Ivan say, puts somebody at 33/1, is there not an impetuous on that candidate to try lowering those odds, (by placing large bets) so that they don’t look like a no hoper. Is that not some form of extortion?

Does it not also subvert the political process in much the same way that polls or media coverage the day before would?

And finally, does his happy go lucky, I was once one of them, but now I am not, lower the tone of proceedings? He was once tipped to be leader of FG, now here he is and he is oblivious to the issues, carefree/careless! I cannot put a finger on it but there is something about his, and possibly Paddy Powers involvement in it that is lowering the tone of the proceedings, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I think he is just relieved not to have become leader of FG and wasted the last 5 years. A likeable and humourous pundit. He certainly breaks up the monotony of the robot-like returning officers.

Am I correct in assuming AidoCQS that you are just a little peeved that Yates isnt still towing the FG party line or bemoaning the failure of that shouty bloke from Mayo to become Taoiseach??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

I dont know, I cannot put a finger on it.. I suppose its because everytime a politician opens his mouth, you almost expect them to say something political, or unspeak (say nothing).

Yates says exactly whats on his mind, its just strange that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭sioda

Personally I am finding Yates to be lifting the commentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I like Yates, I suspect a pretty good after-dinner speaker lurks within his frame.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I really like him, he was on the Panel last week, and came across quite witty I thought tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I remember meeting him years ago at a ploughing championships, great wit. Has more personality in his baby finger than Enda could ever hope for.

Would have been a rival to Bertie in the cute-hoorism stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've always liked him and thought he was a good Ag Minister but an awful lot of people can't stand the sight of him. :(

( I think his views on the various candidates were very informative, interesting and amusing :)).

He was also one of a dying breed of none RC TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I think it was refreshing to see Yates commentating. I'm a betting man and have placed a fair amount of money on the election results. It's very healthy that you can back up your views with money and I don't think it influences anyone's vote at all. If the Bertie Bashing that went on in the media did not affect votes, I don't see how bookies can. (By the way, I'm not aftertiming, and have posted my bets here - username hill16)

If you don't like what he has to say, oppose him and make a few quid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

AidoCQS wrote:
    Your man from Q&A raised this with Ivan, when Ivan say, puts somebody at 33/1, is there not an impetuous on that candidate to try lowering those odds, (by placing large bets) so that they don’t look like a no hoper. Is that not some form of extortion?

Does it not also subvert the political process in much the same way that polls or media coverage the day before would?
    I don't think anyone would take any notice if any other bookmaker had made the comment, it's just because it was Ivan.

Advertisement