Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maldini shirt to be retired

• 25-05-2007 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may25p.html

To my mind there's too much of this retiring shirt numbers going on. If Man Utd fans had their way Schmeickels No 1, Cantona's 7, Best's 11 would all be retired - no doubt there'd be calls for Nevilles shirt to go too (possibly with him in it ;) ). Yes, clubs should honour their players, heroes and legends, but as is typical with these things pretty soon everyone is a hero and we end up with three digit shirt numbers. Denzel Seedorf wearing 666 anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the great legends, the really really amazing players, the ones who play for the club from start to finish, who personify everything about the club, and are world class players to boot, should have their number retired.

In that case, I think Maldini's number 3 should be retired.
    I don't think many United players fit that bill, although an argument could be made for Giggs or Scholes, I wouldn't make it, as they weren't the great captains. If Keane had played for the club from start to finish I think I'd want the shirt retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

a player as loyal (while being hugely sucessful) as Maldini is a rarity these days and it looks like it will become even more so.yeah you shouldn't retire a shirt for every tom dick and harry, but exceptions can be made. there isn't a player today who deserves that honour more than Maldini really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

in ten years his son Christian will wear it. FORZA MALDINI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

in ten years his son Christian will wear it. FORZA MALDINI

Spooky was about to post that, what wehn his son wants it.

Not a fan of retiring numbers.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

PHB wrote:
    If Keane had played for the club from start to finish I think I'd want the shirt retired.

I think there where many great players and we could argue and disagree all year and never come to a final decision. I personally dont agree with players shirts being retired, i think there could be another way to honour great players.

Personally i think Roy Keane is the greatest player to have ever played for Manu. I just think for what he stood for and achieved with Manu was brilliant. The man has the respect of everybody because of his drive and what he achieved. He's the first to admit, he wasn't the most giffted, but i honestly believe if he didn't sign for manu then we would never have had the success we did in the 12 years or so he was there.

Slightly of topic i know :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I agree, but he isn't United through and through, like say Maldini is for Milan. For that reason, I wouldn't retire number 16 for him.

I do love the fact that number 3 will be the shirt of the Maldini family. His son is apparently very highly rated. I wonder how long it could go on for :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

PHB wrote:
    His son is apparently very highly rated.

he is also 9, I was highly rated when i was 9. still stick to my 10 year claim though.

Maybe, but who here really thinks his son won't play for Milan in the future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not really the biggest fan of retiring numbers either. Exceptions should be made in cases like when Marc Vivien Foe died and Man City retired the number 17.
    I mean, if United decided to retire George Best's number 7, then Cantona wouldn't have gotten to wear it, then Beckham, now Ronaldo. There's nothing to say that there won't be another world class player to wear it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Maldini is Milan , a total legend and consumate pro , probably the only player playing today that would get into an All Time XI so I think the shirt retiring thing is appropriate:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Not a fan of it myself either. Maybe in exceptional circumstances where a player dies tragically while still playing for the club (someone mentioned marc vivien foe as an example). Even then I'm not so sure.

Then again Maldini was absolutely exceptional and his record of staying at the very top level with the same club for so long will probably never be repeated. It's an acknowledment that they'll hardly find his like again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

They announced this ages ago. Just like Baresi he desrves it aswell. Playing at the highest level for 23 years for the same club is something no other player in the history of the game has done. And at almost 39 Milan are still a better side with him in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think Ireland should retire the No. 11 jersey in honour of Kevin Kilbane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nick wrote:

I second that motion, on the condition that he retires with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Nick wrote:

I kinda agree. I think Kilbane should retire, but not his shirt number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm a big fan of retiring numbers for absolute legends, but not just for anyone who made a contribution. One-club players should definitely be considered.

It works so well in American sports, although their higher squad numbers do tend to be easier to accept. Wayne Gretzky's number 99 was retired across the entire league, what a great way to honour a true legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Would agree with most of the post's here, I am not a fan of shirt retirement but MALDINI is MILAN so in this case it's a most definitely YES. In today's game the words Greatest and Legend are used too often and too quick . But in the case of Maldini I don't think anybody could argue with the fact that he was a legend and a true great of the game.
    Also in a time when 99 % of players are more loyal to wages and transfer fees than any club. Players who commit to a single club throughout their entire careers have to be admired and applauded ,yes i know he was well looked after financially for his loyalty but i think Milan's fans would agree every penny was well spent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

he is also 9, I was highly rated when i was 9. still stick to my 10 year claim though.

Christian is 11, Daniel is 9.

Christian is in the elite squad from the acadmey. so he is very highly rated.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If ever a player deserved for their shirt number to be retired, it's Maldini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

If ever a player deserved for their shirt number to be retired, it's Maldini.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

In my opinion Maldini is probably the greatest player since Maradona. He has had one of thr greatest careers ever and has been the leader of a fantastic club. People will argue in terms of Zidane, Ronaldo (Brazil), and the likes, but Maldini is probably better at his part of the game than any other player.

Its a testament to his career that they want to retire the shirt. I applaud them for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

meh....never rated him....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They retired Franco Baresi jersey for years and then when Costacurta retired 3 years ago they gave billy's shirt number to another player, billy rejoins the club 3 months later and his number is gone so the club give him the number 5 jersey...

Goes to show exactly how much Costacurta means to the club.
    He and Maldini are the true giants of modern defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

always remember hearing the story when maldini was asked " pauolo, youve been labelled one of the greatest defenders of all time, in your eyes , who is the best defender of recent times" " honestly, without a doubt , paul mcgrath"

haha legend, quality player, number is a number, the number 3 shirt is special in Milan for that reason, family...its an AC thing not everyone does it or should do it.

Advertisement