Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail Seeking New Mudflap

Options
  • 25-05-2007 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Now the PDs have been thrown aside, the quest is on by FF to find a new mudflap to catch the dirt from election fallout. Will it be labour, greens, who knows. Although its certain that whoever it is, you can be sure the electorate will react to them at the next election.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pat Rabbite was on RTÉ just there.... think he's coming back on after the ads.

But he was showing a slight weakening of his conviction that he has to get FF out of government. He says he has to show regard for the national interest (ie. he wants to be in power!!!), but also has to show regard for the future of the Labour party. If they go into power with FF again then they'd be pretty inexorably linked with them.

Vincent Browne was pointing out that it's the Labour leadership's last chance of getting into government... They're not getting any younger!!!

Of all the alternatives, I'm starting to come around to the idea that I'd be happy to see Labour in coalition with FF, especially considering we're expecting a rough few years economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Now that it looks like FF are back in Labour would be my second choice after the Greens to make up a coalition. I would have preferred to see a decline in FF seats making them more dependent on a party such as Labour or the Greens giving their coalition partners more influence and oversight. Rabbittes rhetoric over the campaign will seem quite vacuous though if they do go in with FF. Alas, it's the national interest afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The Saint wrote:
    Now that it looks like FF are back in Labour
    It doesn't at all though. That's the last thing Pat Rabbitte wants to do, if you were watching him a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

Must agree with you re Rabbites recent performance on tv just finished.
    Very strange ,he looked shattered and under severe stress .
    None of his usual brash <acerbic and cocky behaviour .

He spoke in riddles, and it was probably the worst time i ever heard him speak

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bemmet wrote:

Yes, he's normally quite pompous but very crestfallen tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Jakkass wrote:
    It doesn't at all though. That's the last thing Pat Rabbitte wants to do, if you were watching him a few minutes ago.
    I think you misread my post. I was merely stating the it looks like FF will be the main party of the next government. I was then just stating my preferred option given that circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

he started off saying he was still looking to have FF out of government, but by the end he was saying it's not up to him and there's wider interests to consider.

Translation: He's trying to play both sides of the road until it's clearer which of the two larger parties will be forming a government

Reason: The votes are cast. Whatever happens now it's 5 years before the public can object.

I really hate this transfer stuff incidentially...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Good point by Vincent Browne, if Labour go into power with FF, who forms the opposition in 5 years time? Whats the motivation to vote them out? As much as Id like to see Labour in power, it could hurt the party in the long term.

It certainly wont happen with Rabbite as leader. I suspect he is trying to stop this from happening while at the same time realising that his lads are not getting any younger and would like a go at Govt before they bow out. Its an old party age wise.

A lot of hard choices facing Labour. This all assumes that FF makes only 70-75 seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Yes, when you look at the risks that the PD's took, and the price they have paid for taking on (Angola & Iraq) it makes the FF'r all the more weak looking.

Do you think for instance that O'Dea, whth all his votes, will take on Justice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Gad..I miss the Pd's already

think I'll join them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

bemmet wrote:
    Must agree with you re Rabbites recent performance on tv just finished.
    Very strange ,he looked shattered and under severe stress .

He's probably thinking, ****, Labour's about to go into government with FF and he'll have to resign or lose face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

greens look like they'll have enough to swing it, i'd say FF would probably prefer them as they'd probably demand a bit less ministerial crap than labour would...

Advertisement