Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do Netopia Wireless routers compare?

• 25-05-2007 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

How do Netopia Wireless routers compare to the likes of Linksys and D-link wireless routers - do they send out good signal quality and strenght?

(I am talking here about the silver one with two antennae)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I had been running a belkin pre-n router with three arials. 108mbps ,
    then got the eircom netopia, which is grand.

Glad the belkin is gone ,very powerful but it's not a technology I want bouncing through me all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

thks brian...any other opinions on Netopia Wireless modem routers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I have the older black Netopia wirless router for more then two years now and have never had any problems to date. I have two computers connected to it as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jetsonx wrote:
    How do Netopia Wireless routers compare to the likes of Linksys and D-link wireless routers - do they send out good signal quality and strenght?

(I am talking here about the silver one with two antennae)

I think there is a lot of uncertainty about the performance of routers as line quality, thickness of walls, interaction with other manufacturer's wireless card etc can all impact so it is very hard to compare like with like.

For example a while ago I bought a linksys wag54gs as previously I had pretty good experience with linksys stuff. The wag54gs had very good wireless coverage but its performance was dire - it constantly lost settings and reverted to factory settings - lots of complaints about this on the net - recently they released new firmware and seemed to have got it right at last and its pretty good now - liksys also made a mess of a recent release of their very popular wrt54g router.

I think there have been some overheating problems with that model of the netopia.

And just as a by the way earlier in the week I spent a few hours in a friends house where he was using a sony laptop wirelessly with the older netopia - we watched music videos on youtube for the evening without even one break in the service. The netopia was in the hall and the laptop about thirty feet away in the next room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

the range is pretty craptastic on my netopia. but i don't think the router is to blame. it is nearly impossible to get a signal through the walls in this house. any cordless phones we ever had won't work from one side of the house to the next. the quoted 50m indoor range is most likely based on japanese built paper houses not something with brick walls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sorry I never said what I have running ,
    Laptop - Built in intel wireless
    Pc - Pcmcia Airgo mimo card in a pcmcia-pci slot.
    Pc - Belkin Usb dongle.
    Pc - Belkin Desktop pci card
    Nintendo wii.

The reach of the belkin 108 mbps is available to me ,when I am sitting in my car outside the house .Still get an excellent signal out there.
    The netopia wouldn't be as strong ,but I have it placed in my hall ,so the signal will go up through the stairs and bounce into the rooms.
    I never get a 404 on the netopia ,but if someone is taxiing the line ,I might have to click on a link a second time.

Advertisement