Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flying lessons at weston airport

Options
  • 25-05-2007 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

hi has anyone done an introductory flight out in weston?

if so,what was it like? im thinking of doing it myself either for a half an hour or the full hour

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

it's good
    i did it about 5 years ago
    lot of fun, but it's expensive, and is 25 minutes at most

i'd love to do more but i don't have anything like the amount of money needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

i did an hour with nfc and a half hour with skytrace, i preferred the one with nfc probably because i got more time in control with them it cost 180 for the hour and 90 for the half hour. i was quite disappointed with the half hour only got about 18mins control and felt a bit short changed. id def take a lesson even if you have no ambition to progress as it is quite an experience

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

I got a 1/2 hour lesson out in weston as a present in feburary.It was really good.If you are thinking about doing the training fulltime i would definately recommend going over to america to do it tho.I just back from there after getting my first licence and its was brillant.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

electric69 wrote:
    I got a 1/2 hour lesson out in weston as a present in feburary.It was really good.If you are thinking about doing the training fulltime i would definately recommend going over to america to do it tho.I just back from there after getting my first licence and its was brillant.

I agree totally. Weston is very good but expensive.The introductory flight is well worth it though.Take the hour though as a)they take you more seriously, and b)you can try out a greater number of things depending on who is taking you up and the weather.Some may just run the basics,some will give you a demo of stalls etc.The hour maximises your chances of getting this if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Slightly off topic lads but I have a half hour voucher which needs to be used up by the end of this month for sale on here

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=25307&cat=32

Cubix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xax

Electic69,

Where in America did u go for the flying lessons?

Thanks

xax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah I did a few of these about 4 or 5 years ago at Weston. Thoroughly enjoyed it... great experience. Always something that I wanted to continue with, but the expense was just too much for someone in college at the time. Beer had a higher priority :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

It's well worth it. Flying is expensive. It always was and it always will be. But relative to income it is in fact less relatively expensive than it used to be. When I started flying it cost about £20 or more an hour when I was earning£40 a week.

I fly a lot and sometimes forget to enjoy the flying. I'm reminded when I see someone take an introductory flight and see the excitement. Ironically, I actually won a voucher for a flying lesson once. It save me a few quid but in a way it's a pity I won it and not someone who would have appreciated it more.

From what I've seen, intro flights are mostly flown by less experienced instructors and often they will give you a fuller experience than some of the more experienced but more jaded instructors.

Go for the hour, half an hour is nothing. The NFC or Skytrace. Skytrace have nice new looking diesel powered Robins. The NFC have Cessna 150's and 152's. A bit more workmanlike but just as much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 robs_russell

GO FOR IT! i did the introductory flight about 2 months ago, got it as a present off my girlfriends parents.. and i loved every minute of it. the instructor gave me full contol of the whole flight.... on the basis that i had been using Flight Sim for the last 8 years... and it was brilliant. im actually booking my next lesson at the moment
    it is seriously addictive tho! as soon as you get out of the aircraft, you will do anything you can to get back into it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

cp251 wrote: »
    I fly a lot and sometimes forget to enjoy the flying. I'm reminded when I see someone take an introductory flight and see the excitement.

Same when you work in aviation, you kind of forget how exciting/special flying is for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

got an hour intro flight in weston as a present for christmas off the parents and didnt even ask for it!!!! sweeeeet!!!!!!!!:D:D best present by a mile!!

you guys reckon i should leave it while for the weather to clear up before doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

SRFC90 wrote: »
    got an hour intro flight in weston as a present for christmas off the parents and didnt even ask for it!!!! sweeeeet!!!!!!!!:D:D best present by a mile!!

you guys reckon i should leave it while for the weather to clear up before doing it?

It doesn't matter because they won't fly with you if the weather is a bit iffy. Usually you make a booking and on the day, call to see if the weather is suitable. Usually you can judge yourself easily, strong winds, low cloud etc. You can re-book then for another day. There are some winter days when the flying is perfect, particularly on those frosty mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MG100

Hi all

Hopefully not too far off topic:

Maybe one of you may be interested: I have a 60min flight voucher from Irish Flight Center in Weston (unwanted Christmas gift) - Worth €180. I posted it for sale under "general".
    See http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=52283

Reasonable offers welcome.

Thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

It's one of those experiences that I can't recommend highly enough, it really is hugely enjoyable! I did an intro with Aerial Advertising (aka NFC) on cloudy but calm day in a C150.

One warning - flying is highly addictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jstevens100

hi all,
    i also took an introductary flight lesson in weston last year. was half hour with skytrace. thoroughly enjoyed it! found the instructor was excellent, gave lots of interesting information and a good bit of control in the aeroplane. aeroplanes are great too! definitely reccomend it to anyone...i've gone on to start my PPL as a result icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

xax wrote: »
    Electic69,

Where in America did u go for the flying lessons?

Thanks

xax

I did my training in florida. Pm me if you have any questions that i can help you with

Advertisement