Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dolly Mixture

Options
  • 25-05-2007 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

So RTE Debate beginning to hot up slightly with the realisation FF will have to find a new decent partner to form government.

What would you rather?

Fianna Fail + Sinn Fein

Or a large bag of Dolly Mixture?

Obviously Labour + FF would be the most plausible outcome but it would be interesting if Labour declined this and decided
    to form a rainbow government.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

Interesting times
    beleieve a hell of a row is now brewing within labour over the prospects of coalition
    Howlin leading a pro coalition rump,which is predominantly "old " labour .The dem left rump will not go in .
    Will be interesting to see who really "owns " the heart of new labour.

Either way this is not as clear as it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I wonder would it be plausible for Rabbitte to step down as leader of Labour, Labour to go into government with FF and Rabbitte getting a high profile cabinet position for falling on his sword? Will be interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

IF FF need more than the PD's number of seats it will have to be Labour. Looking at what has happened the PD's I can't see labour being too keen on the idea. Maybe I'm wrong but I just can't see FF doing business with SF, It just doesn't make sense politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its FF + Labour, much blah blah before the deal is done, but it will "for the people".

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can the Greens be brought with a bag of non-GMO dollymixtures?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The Saint wrote:
    I wonder would it be plausible for Rabbitte to step down as leader of Labour, Labour to go into government with FF and Rabbitte getting a high profile cabinet position for falling on his sword? Will be interesting times.

On the nine o'clock news Rabitte categorically said that he would not be steping down as leader of Labour. But I can`t see any way that he can lead Labour into coalition with Fianna Fail after the campaign he just fought and regain any credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He may not be given any choice - I belive any elected member can call a special meeting to debate and vote on a possible deal and if its carried Pat will have to decide if he wants to be part of it or not as leader.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Longfield wrote:
    Its FF + Labour, much blah blah before the deal is done, but it will "for the people".

Indeed, "in the national interest" aka "a custy merc under me backside for 5 years is too good to pass up!".

But if they do, Pat will definitely go, he can't stay as leader or take any ministerial role, he's said as much himself. To the backbenches and keep him quiet me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What about FF & FG, they have more in common in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

fobster wrote:
    Indeed, "in the national interest" aka "a custy merc under me backside for 5 years is too good to pass up!".

Nail agus head :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Why would you need credibilty if you have 5 years of government ahead of you? Didn't stop Dick Spring when he was lambasting FF and yet ended up in government with them. Its politics why wouldn't he? 5 years to recover credibility is a long time. Or pass on the leadership 3 years into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Dolly mixture", line of the night. It was so apt when that Fine Gael guy was discussing the options for government. "Uhm let's see, we'll take Labour, the Greens, a few independents ..." :)
    machalla wrote:
    Why would you need credibilty if you have 5 years of government ahead of you? Didn't stop Dick Spring when he was lambasting FF and yet ended up in government with them. Its politics why wouldn't he? 5 years to recover credibility is a long time. Or pass on the leadership 3 years into it.

Last time round they lasted less than 2 years before the government fell apart.

Advertisement