Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We heart corruption

Options
  • 25-05-2007 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

After all the tribunals, after all the revelations...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

luckat wrote:
    After all the tribunals, after all the revelations...

The rich heart staying rich.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

The people have spoken
    Live with it
    its called democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭sioda

Its called democracy but its not. Democracy imho allows ALL persons entitled to vote but in this case they were not. Holding an election on thursday in a major college exam week marginalises a large number of the electorate who must stay in college to do their exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

sioda wrote:
    Holding an election on thursday in a major college exam week marginalises a large number of the electorate who must stay in college to do their exams.

Very true. To be fair, its a valid critism I have against FG/Labour that they didnt lay into Bertie over this. Its an attack on Democracy to do such a thing and its more than Students that got caught out on this.
    Very Disappointed in our Taioseach, more so in our Media and Political parties for not hammering him on this. If it were GW Bush, we would have a field day on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Voters only have one vote.
    If they are concerned about issues like the economy, jobs, health, crime, transport, etc etc........and corruption then they have a choice to make in how they balance up all the factors influencing their vote.
    I guess the lesson is that the voters will tolerate some level of corruption unless it's completely obvious and "in your face".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

it was completely obvious and in your face. And didn't Berties approval rating rise after the financial scandal?

As long as the economy stays the way it is no one else has a chance, no matter what Bertie does

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

We also heart a thriving economy, and a diverse society. Get with the programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The way the economy is is 43% of it powered by construction. We're not making, we're not exporting, we're cannibalising. It's not sustainable.

sioda wrote:
    Its called democracy but its not. Democracy imho allows ALL persons entitled to vote but in this case they were not. Holding an election on thursday in a major college exam week marginalises a large number of the electorate who must stay in college to do their exams.

This is ridiculous. Given the polling places were open from early in the morning til late enough at night I can't imagine anyone using exams or study as an excuse; it only takes a few minutes.

We also heart a thriving economy, and a diverse society. Get with the programme.

"That money was just resting in my account! It was a routine relocation of funds!"

Lol....?

• Advertisement

luckat wrote:
    The way the economy is is 43% of it powered by construction. We're not making, we're not exporting, we're cannibalising. It's not sustainable.

While our dependence on the construction industry is far from ideal, we are a well-qualified, skills-based economy that many MNCs are happy to invest heavily in. Ireland is also ranked 4th in the HDI rankings, and we have a great standard of living. Our exports are high, and unemployment is poles apart from what it was several decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

sioda wrote:

Students could have very easily registered in their college constituency and used the postal vote. Saying it's not a democracy because a bunch of students didn't bother to check their options and ensure they could vote is just silly. It's not nice for people who couldn't vote but blaming the Government for something they failed to do is just childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sioda wrote:
    Holding an election on thursday in a major college exam week marginalises a large number of the electorate who must stay in college to do their exams.

Hang on, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the likes of students have the option of registering to vote at another address? So that's no excuse.

I for one am disgusted at the thought of Bertie & Co back again. Was it Vincent Browne who said that in another country, if there were this many questions around a party leader's finances, he would be long gone? I suppose the fundamental problem is the lack of an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Goblin_insane

sioda wrote:

How pray I ask was I able to vote despite being in college and it been an exam week ? The above is not an excuse if people wanted to vote they would have found a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

sioda wrote:
    If you can't make it to the polling station, there's always Postal VOtes. My brother made his vote by post as he's working in Limerick, there were stands in my college spreading the knowledge about them & offering people the chance to sign up for them.

There are other options than voting in person, and while a Thursday vote was a pain, there are people who chose to bitch and moan about it, and people who just got over it and took the alternative. And the people who bitch and moan without actually doing anything to get over it are a waste of space, tbh. The same sort of people who complain about the government and don't bother to vote.

Hang on a sec so yeah they could register to their college area but why should they. I mean if you are from Limerick and your are in college in dublin you more than likely have no interest in local Dublin politics as against wanting to be involved with the politics of your local area thus if you cant get home you cant vote.

Its no where near childish. As a adult in this country you are entitled to a vote but you should not have to sacrifice your education for your right to vote

It our right to bitch about it I mean if their was a fair election to be held it should not be held on an obviously bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Sure whatever fools voted them in, they deserve it. I'm emigrating. Willie O'Dea, 19000 votes?? Psah

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

sioda wrote:

so a college exam runs from 7.30 to 10.30pm yeah ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

You get the government you deserve.

O'Dea & Roche got massive votes. Corrupt politicians such as Lowry & O'Flynn will probably be elected. :rolleyes:

You have to admire Bertie. He refused to answer questions his "dodgy" finances on the basis that the Tribunal was not concerned with it. The more devious of them all indeed.

sioda wrote:
    Hang on a sec so yeah they could register to their college area but why should they. I mean if you are from Limerick and your are in college in dublin you more than likely have no interest in local Dublin politics as against wanting to be involved with the politics of your local area thus if you cant get home you cant vote.

Its no where near childish. As a adult in this country you are entitled to a vote but you should not have to sacrifice your education for your right to vote

It our right to bitch about it I mean if their was a fair election to be held it should not be held on an obviously bad day

And by making an adult's decision to go to college in Dublin you have to accept the very real possibility that it most likely means that you will end up having to vote in one general election there. Your decisions have repercussions, the world won't magically alter to change this, deal with it.

• Advertisement

But you should not be forced to vote in a consituency that means nothing to you

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

sioda wrote:

As an adult, entitlements bring obligations. I'll spell it out

P-O-S-T-A-L V-O-T-E

You didn't even need to sacrifice the price of a postal stamp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Ok I'm a college student and it took me 50 seconds to write 1-4 on my list, put it the box and walk out.

Get over it, the student/exam thing is a load of crap!

Hmmmm. A lot of posters with Dublin locations laying into Sioda. Easy to vote in your own city. Not so easy if your from an area known as The Rest of the Country. Have any of ye gone through the process of changing a vote registration? I have, not so easy Tbh. Espically if you exams that same week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

sioda wrote:
    Hang on a sec so yeah they could register to their college area but why should they. I

Because they want to vote, duh! If you have the option and choose not to take it, how is it someone elses fault. Look, most of us are/were students once, but ffs act like an adult and take responsibility for your actions/inactions. You didn't vote. What do you want, to be chaffeured to the polling station and told who to vote for? Effectively you chose not to vote.

Fin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

its a landslide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

tom dunne wrote:
    I for one am disgusted at the thought of Bertie & Co back again. Was it Vincent Browne who said that in another country, if there were this many questions around a party leader's finances, he would be long gone? I suppose the fundamental problem is the lack of an alternative.

Its all about style over substance. Kenny didn't have a chance of getting in because he was too short. Just like the conservatives in england had no chance for years because they always had bald leaders.

DaBreno wrote:
    Hmmmm. A lot of posters with Dublin locations laying into Sioda. Easy to vote in your own city. Not so easy if your from an area known as The Rest of the Country. Have any of ye gone through the process of chaning a vote registration? I have, not so easy Tbh. Espically if you exams that same week.

I'm from Cork and I don't get to vote in the constituency that I'm originally from and follow most closely because, bluntly, there are little to no opportunities for people like me where I'm from originally. Voting in Cork North Central versus voting in Cork North West mightn't seem that big a deal but the politics of this constituency were as foreign to me as any of the Dublin constituencies before this election.

De Breno thanks and I have attempted the postal vote and it is a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

DaBreno wrote:
    Hmmmm. A lot of posters with Dublin locations laying into Sioda. Easy to vote in your own city. Not so easy if your from an area known as The Rest of the Country. Have any of ye gone through the process of chaning a vote registration? I have, not so easy Tbh. Espically if you exams that same week.

Its nothing to do with country folk at all! Postal vote....whats wrong with that????????????

Advertisement