Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We heart corruption

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

DaBreno wrote:
    Have any of ye gone through the process of chaning a vote registration? I have, not so easy Tbh. Espically if you exams that same week.

What are you saying, you only moved to digs near college last week? You started college since the end of April? There's been a campaign for the last year to get people registered for their vote - were you out of the country?

ps. Not studying English, I presume :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

sioda wrote:
    But you should not be forced to vote in a consituency that means nothing to you

You chose to go to college, you chose a Dublin college. Life's a bitch but you'll never get everything you want so you have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Blackjack

nesf wrote:
    Students could have very easily registered in their college constituency and used the postal vote. Saying it's not a democracy because a bunch of students didn't bother to check their options and ensure they could vote is just silly. It's not nice for people who couldn't vote but blaming the Government for something they failed to do is just childish.

Spot on. If people were bothered enough about the democratic process, they'd make sure ahead of time that they were eligible to vote, as opposed to leaving it to the last minute to be disappointed they could not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Its all about style over substance. Kenny didn't have a chance of getting in because he was too short. Just like the conservatives in england had no chance for years because they always had bald leaders.

WTF? Because he was too short? Keep smoking that stuff.

It was because he is an incompetent buffoon, not because he is 5'10". He is not a statesman, he is not a leader, he is just too unpolished to run this country.

Having said that, I still voted FG.

This is ridiculous. Given the polling places were open from early in the morning til late enough at night I can't imagine anyone using exams or study as an excuse; it only takes a few minutes.
    Hypothetically
    If I my exams were one week later
    1:I don't have a car
    2:A bus home to Carrick on Shannon would take approximately 5 and a half hours on thursday(have to go through Athlone and the Longford)
    3:I would have had an exam today at half nine
    4:Last bus leaves Carrick on Shannon for Galway at half 12 on Thursday.
    So I would have had to take a day and a half off study to vote.
    You say that it is ridiculous that students don't have a few minutes to vote.
    I say that it is ridiculous that the government hasn't done anything for Leitrim in last four year.
    Thank God John Eliis the money swindling waster who did nothing for Leitrim did not get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭sioda

If you dont live permanetly in the consituency you are in why would you want to vote as it realistically has no effect on you. As against voting for soneone in your home consituency can effect your life.

BTW I voted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What horrifies me is that yes, this is democracy, and the democratic will of the Irish people - my people - has expressed itself by voting in a party some of whose most prominent members have been exposed as having taken bribes.

This isn't the kind of person we should be trusting to represent us.

Some of the people I'm seeing smilingly accepting the expression of the democratic will are not those I'd shake hands without counting my fingers afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

sioda wrote:
    Hang on a sec so yeah they could register to their college area but why should they. I mean if you are from Limerick and your are in college in dublin you more than likely have no interest in local Dublin politics as against wanting to be involved with the politics of your local area thus if you cant get home you cant vote.

Its no where near childish. As a adult in this country you are entitled to a vote but you should not have to sacrifice your education for your right to vote

Probably needs to be repeated for the slow. POSTAL votes???? What exactly are all these students studying in college if they're not able to figure out how to vote? Mustn't be anything too complicated.

For those of you whinging about lack of democracy and conspiracys here a link to the form http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/ElectionsElectoralRegister/ElectoralRegister/ElectoralRegisterForms/File,3906,en.pdf

Now save that for the next time you're voting in 5 years. Hopefully you'll have finished your courses by then.

I heard other people whinging about finding out that their names were removed from the electoral register on the radio this morning. It was all a big conspiracy. There was a big ad campaign to check the register a few months ago. If people really don't have the brains to do a bit of research when they're asked over and over again to do so then I don't think we'll miss their vote too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Ok why didnt I cop this on earlier...if exams are getting in the way of voting etc why the hell are you on Boards all night???

I'm a student as a said, I did a bit of study, voted and went online for a bit.

Shouldnt effect anybody who has exams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Remember kids: go postal!

• Advertisement

Hypothetically
    If I my exams were one week later
    1:I don't have a car
    2:A bus home to Carrick on Shannon would take approximately 5 and a half hours on thursday(have to go through Athlone and the Longford)
    3:I would have had an exam today at half nine
    4:Last bus leaves Carrick on Shannon for Galway at half 12 on Thursday.
    So I would have had to take a day and a half off study to vote.
    You say that it is ridiculous that students don't have a few minutes to vote.
    I say that it is ridiculous that the government hasn't done anything for Leitrim in last four year.
    Thank God John Eliis the money swindling waster who did nothing for Leitrim did not get in.

POSTAL VOTE MY FRIEND!

Heres the form for next time!
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/Postal%20Vote%20Ciccumstances%20of%20Occupation%20PV2%20English_tcm35-22806.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

luckat wrote:
    The way the economy is is 43% of it powered by construction. We're not making, we're not exporting, we're cannibalising. It's not sustainable.

Its actually about 23% of GNP, but that is still a huge amount relative...

We actually have had some of the highest export levels in the EU and world, this slipping recently however.

Your facts are inherantly wrong but I agree with your last 3 words....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

PCros wrote:
    Its nothing to do with country folk at all! Postal vote....whats wrong with that????????????

Its just not that straight forward. It took me four weeks to change constituency including time to wait for the council to "act" and trying to catch my local Gardia to be in the station so they could stamp my form(not so easy). Of course they had better things to do than hand around and stamp forms, my point is nothing moves fast in our Beauarcracy.
    I think we are hanging our students out to dry because a lot of them had other things more pressing to do.

Did Bertie give a reason for a Thursday vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

sioda wrote:
    If you dont love permanetly in the consituency you are in why would you want to vote as it realistically has no effect on you. As against voting for soneone in your home consituency can effect your life.

True but my home constituency does affect my life through my family and extended family and where I live in this constituency means that I'm more probably going to more affected by changes in South Central anyway. But the point is that you get your vote still, which is the important part of a democracy.

I get the feeling that everyone who is suggesting postal has not actually tried it

tom dunne wrote:

I for one am disgusted at the thought of Bertie & Co back again.

See i dont get this you say your disgusted but you voted them in:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

While our dependence on the construction industry is far from ideal, we are a well-qualified, skills-based economy that many MNCs are happy to invest heavily in.

That's a bit of a myth in my opinion. Corporation tax and IDA grants have far more of a bearing on location decisions than the promise of our super skills. I could guarantee that if you doubled corporation tax in the morning, most MNCs would be off to India and China faster than you could blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Im working in Dublin so didnt vote. Yes you are correct in saying I could have if I made an effort, 3 days to find some form from where I dont know, think you need it stamped by the guards etc, Point is yes students, workers away from home could have voted but you can be damn sure that it was made difficult enough to put off an awful lot of them and of course bertie knew this, hell a bit of rain last time was blamed for low turn out. Thur vote has an effect.

DaBreno wrote:
    Its just not that straight forward. It took me four weeks to change constituency including time to wait for the council to "act" and trying to catch my local Gardia to be in the station so they could stamp my form(not so easy). Of course they had better things to do than hand around and stamp forms, my point is nothing moves fast in our Beauarcracy.
    I think we are hanging our students out to dry because a lot of them had other things more pressing to do.

Did Bertie give a reason for a Thursday vote?

I'm a student aswell breno, why didnt you fill out the postal vote form instead of doing all that?

I think it comes down to it what would have been wrong to putting the election on a saturday. Or even more could the election not seriously be held over two days

• Advertisement

PCros wrote:
    Gee Golly.It says on the form that I have ring 2225010.Yet when I ring,it appears that number doesn't exist.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

tom dunne wrote:
    WTF? Because he was too short? Keep smoking that stuff.

It was because he is an incompetent buffoon, not because he is 5'10". He is not a statesman, he is not a leader, he is just too unpolished to run this country.

Having said that, I still voted FF.

I'm not doubting he was an incompetent buffon, but people seen from the start that he was short and didn't take him seriously. For a while it looked like people might vote for him as a protest vote, but when push came to shove people came to their senses and went with the corrupt but slightly more competent Ahern. And no ****ing way is Kenny 5'10, I'd say 5'8 max. If this country is to move forward at the next election then Kenny must go, otherwise we're ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Corruption:

The dole claiming "working" class working the sites, the "middle" class " landlord" with 2 properties and not paying tax on the rental to the developers and the bungs and the country publican serving kids, flaunting the smoking ban and serving til 5am........

Everyone in this capitalist, open and succesful economy has an amount of crookedeness in them. This is why it is easy to accept........ Bertie is cleaner than most and certainly celaner than many a voter who was against him citing corruption!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

sioda wrote:
    I get the feeling that everyone who is suggesting postal has not actually tried it

Why, is it hard or something? Do the paper cuts hurt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

From an internet cafe in New york; im happy to see that John ellis has not been elected, even through we are faced with a third term with FF. What is this country coming to?\

Also happy to see Mc Dowell has not been elected

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sioda wrote:
    See i dont get this you say your disgusted but you voted them in:confused:

Oops, I actually meant to say I voted FG. :o

Gee Golly.It says on the form that I have ring 2225010.Yet when I ring,it appears that number doesn't exist.;)

Tryed it and it works for me!

Corruption:

The dole claiming "working" class working the sites, the "middle" class " landlord" with 2 properties and not paying tax on the rental to the developers and the bungs and the country publican serving kids, flaunting the smoking ban and serving til 5AM
    Why the attack on Publicans?I voted for change and I am a publican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

PCros wrote:
    I'm a student aswell breno, why didnt you fill out the postal vote form instead of doing all that?

Because I moved permanently. I was not going back to vote in my old constituancy. Can I assume you found it easy?

Again, I wonder why Bertie called it on a Thursday?

• Advertisement

Thanks Tom makes much more sense :p

Advertisement