Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie

Options
  • 25-05-2007 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

As smooth as you like!

Give me some of that.

There's no doubt really why he is where he is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

chump wrote:
    As smooth as you like!

Give me some of that.

"Im a tough guy, I'm a fit guy". Legend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

he was looking very beetroot wasn`t he

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

:D Everyone loves Bertie

He is the reason why Fianna Fail are going to Win.

After his interview the price on betfair fell to certainty.

He will be our next taoiseach and he is a good one no matter what anyone says.;) (even me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I think that performance is exactly why Bertie keeps getting elected. I thought it was a pretty masterful display by a true pro who managed to get subtle digs in while staying appealing and portraying himself as an everyman canditate.

I could never imagine Enda Kenny (or any other Irish politician for that matter) giving an interview like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Heartfelt interview.

To be fair he has no reason to appeal to the public for another five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thought that he was very smug in that interview,very smug.
    He was crowing as if he had single handedly created the celtic tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The man is just a master of the old 'nice-guy Bertie' routine. That's why he's still where he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You'd swear it'd be funny/entertaining to have a clown as Taoiseach.

It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

rb_ie wrote:

It's not.

Agreed, we did not get the least charasmatic, clown of a Taoiseach, ever in Enda. Lucky break!;)

The very least an opposision leader needs to be able to do is out debate the taoiseach. Now this as we all know is not Berties strong point yet, Enda could not even manage this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

rb_ie wrote:

It's not.
    but they're funny and cuddly and he makes us feel warm and fuzzy...and strangely confident

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    he was looking very beetroot wasn`t he
    Yes, the panel beater, sorry I mean make-up artist, was on a night off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

No doubt the grannies and grandads round drumcondra gave him the number 1. ****in lying eejid. Thats all I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

chump wrote:
    As smooth as you like!

Give me some of that.

Pint a Bass.......;) smooth as!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

stepbar wrote:
    No doubt the grannies and grandads round drumcondra gave him the number 1. ****in lying eejid. Thats all I have to say.

I voted for him, and I'm a student. Great post by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Good man vote for corruption so I suppose.....

stepbar wrote:
    Thats all I have to say.
    Great - we won't have to read any more of your posts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Glad to see the panelist call Berite on his crap - specfically how he's a victim of "da meedja". I'm sick of him playing the martyr whilst simultaneously feeding Independent News and Media, and the Indo in particular, which of late may as well call itself the Irish Press.

Our leader of ten years, who looks like he's getting another five years doesn't think he's accountable to the public.

What is worrying is that there misguided individuals out there who don't think he is either.:(

Today's a sad reflection on the state of our country. When our self-canniblaising economy collapses well only have ourselves to blame for electing a party whih is wasteful with resources, and wont have the luxury of surplus budgets to get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

stepbar wrote:
    Good man vote for corruption so I suppose.....

Nah I just want to have a job when I finish college. Also I don't like the idea of Enda representing me by pointing his finger and waving a bit of paper at all the other world leaders. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

rb_ie wrote:

It's not.

It's amazing how well you can cover over incompetence by being a clown. We've a guy in work who's consistently incompetent but manages to get everyone to laugh at his incompetence all the time, thereby avoiding any hassle. It's quite sickeningly really.

:D Everyone loves Bertie

I most certainly don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

He's not even as smooth as my hairy arse. He's a stammering, hesitant speaker with a nasal voice. He stands with a hump and looks ill porportioned. He looks wrong in a suit (back to the St. Bernard anoraks Bertie, becomes you more). When flustered (as he often is), he resorts to obtuse arguments, waffle, shouting down the opposition, lies and bully boy tactics.
    He's not smooth. He's not even smart. He's sly. And in this f***ing country, it's all you need (that, and be a member of Fianna Fail.)
    With the overwhelming support of the Irish media during the vital final week of campaigning (helped by Cowan's subversive pre-election meeting with Tony O'Reilly and R.T.E.'s usual pandering), how could the sneaky, self serving twat lose?
    I could list a hundred reasons why Fianna Fail as a whole shouldn';t be returned to government, but as for Bertie alone, it's a falacy foisted on a seemingly gullible public that he's a capable, statesmanlike leader beloved by the public.
    We've had 18 of the last 20 years of Fianna Fail (yet they still managed to blame John Bruton's government for a multitude of ills) and we've had 5 years of people continually bitching to Joe Duffy and anyone else who'd listen about rat infested schools, old people lying on trollys, public monies wasted and corruption. The Irish people deserve what they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yes, the panel beater, sorry I mean make-up artist, was on a night off.
    That'd be Paddy the Plasterer.

That'd be Paddy the Plasterer.
    :D - you're on form lately DublinWriter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

il gatto wrote:
    how could the sneaky, self serving twat lose?

take a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Is it just me, but is everyone in RTE in love with Bertie an FF?

I've just been listening to RTE Radio 1 and the praise was way way over the top, more or less saying that he is Ireland's best politician ever!

Lets look at the cold facts of this election. FF didnt make any net gain in seats and their coalition partners were decimated. Its far from coming back into power with a significant majority.

FG were the big gainers in this election and stand opposed to the main policies that FF have been 'allowing', such as co-location, etc.

I have no problem giving praise where praise is due, but their teatment of Bertie and congratulations to him are just way way over the top.

RTE at times makes me sick !

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well John Bowman was insulted by his comments about Journalists being well paid people who say and write whay they have to in order to keep their job and rightly so it was a very cheap dig and belittled a man about to return to the office of Taoiseach.

redspider wrote:
    FG were the big gainers in this election
    Yes but they started from a much lower base unlike FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

irish1 wrote:
    Well John Bowman was insulted by his comments about Journalists being well paid people who say and write whay they have to in order to keep their job and rightly so it was a very cheap dig and belittled a man about to return to the office of Taoiseach.

It wasnt much of a dig by Bertie in the first place, who Vincent Browne rightly pointed out later on that the Independent family of publications and Tony O'Reilly personally supported Bertie. It was a fake dig by Bertie who in practice wanted the 'media scrutiny' over his personal finances as that is and was a vote getter.

And instead of being Bertie taken to task by failing to win more seats, RTE and Mark Little lauded Bertie as the 'king of the country' and indicated that it was a major success. FF did have success, in the sense that they held on to what they have, and did not lose 10 seats as some had expected. But that in any neutal observation is not a major success. Holding for a 3rd term of Government is of course sucvccesful, even if the holding on is close.

John Bowman thought the dig wasnt on but he didnt interject in a major fashion, run across the studio or get too upset about it afterwards.

He did later on get stuck into John Lutz(sp?), more so than any politician during his whole coverage.

I think John Bowman is good, but RTE on average have to me been very much pro-FF. Even the holding of that debate between the leaders of FF/FG, put the smaller parties at a disadvantage, which they now realise, and it is questionable whether it is allowed by the RTE charter.

> Yes but they started from a much lower base unlike FF.

True, FG voters came back from many of the smaller parties which they had lent support to the last time so FG are coming from a low base. Yet, that base is what success needs to be measured by.

My current tallies are showing (note, more seats to be filled, so incomplete):

Party Gains Losses Net Change
    FF 3 -3 0
    FG 13 +13
    Lab 2 -3 -1
    PD -5 -5
    GP 1 -1 0
    SF -1 -1
    Oth -5 -5

If RTE were neutral, they should have been 'lauding' Enda Kenny, if anyone.

At this stage it looks like FF will get back into power if the 2x PD's and some independents (Flynn, Healy-Rae) also join in. Its questionable whether GP's would join with them, and I suspect they wouldnt unless the PD's were left out. Then there is that burning issue about health, co-location, private health insurance, etc, which the GP have stong views about. I reckon that for now they will stay out.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think we'll call this album "The great Fianna Fail swindle".

Hopefully Mahon will put Bertie back up on his media cross over the next few weeks and just imagine the shock of all the "grannies and grandads round drumcondra" when they see Taoiseach Biffo's face smiling out from de telly at them.

Will Bertie have one of the shortest terms as Taoiseach? One can certainly hope :)

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote:
    Biffo's face smiling
    Biffo smiling?

Advertisement