Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Biffo smiling?

If he gets Taoiseach I'm sure he will be :)

I like Biffo he is one of the few FF senior members that actually is capable. Hmmm I wonder who would get Minister of Finance then, Martin Cullen, Dick Roche (ROFLOL!).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jesus, he's cracking jokes on the radio at the moment! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

He's cunning and canniving but that's unfortunately what I'd like in a Taoiseach.
    I'm no fan of Fianna Fáil's corruption and I think a new government would have helped clean up the place a but but Pat Rabbitte is the only other non Fianna-Fáiler I'd like to see as a Taoiseach at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

A lot of posts get written on here slagging off Americans as stupid and clueless for putting corrupt and unscrupulous idiots such as Bush into power - we've just done exactly the same.

It's truly a dark day for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Duckjob wrote:
    A lot of posts get written on here slagging off Americans as stupid and clueless for putting corrupt and unscrupulous idiots such as Bush into power - we've just done exactly the same.

Everyone will bitch about him and his swindling (and rightly so) for the next 5 years as well, but FF will probably only get kicked out when people's pockets start hurting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

It is so sad that the personality of the leaders of the parties should decide a general election. Its all too reminiscent of the cult of the personality that surrounded people like Stalin, Mao and Louis XIV.

What happened to the real issues like the state of our health service, the shocking lack of public transport and the corruption? Is it OK for Bertie to be completely incompetent as long as he's 'smooth? The amount that some people are fawning over him in this thread is ridiculous.

I don't care if the Taoiseach wears a suit or a jacket or if he's 'smooth'. I care about his policies on health care, public transport - real issues.

Ireland is still in the dark ages when it comes to politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Duckjob wrote:

Indeed! And look at the Iraq mess that those american voters can share the blame in!

Still, as long as the ESB can supply the electricity and we can afford the light bulbs things won't be too dark, even viewed through rose tinted glasses.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Duckjob wrote:

It's truly a great day for Ireland :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

holy jesus people, he's not that bad. For the record I didn't vote FF (I knew I wouldnt have to) but per the statement regarding being the most successful politician, the stats seem to bear out his own personal popularity.
    Im not especially concerned with how he looks talks or acts and its not corruption that worries me, its FF incompetence or lack of ability in specific depts that should be put under the microscope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

BMH wrote:
    Everyone will bitch about him and his swindling (and rightly so) for the next 5 years as well, but FF will probably only get kicked out when people's pockets start hurting.

My guess is that would be some time in late 2008 when our basketcase economy really goes down the shítter.

Around that time the spindoctors in the FF circus will start to shout loudly and often about how no-one could have predicted this downtown etc etc, even though all the non-VI economists have all been giving us warnings for the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

taconnol wrote:
    It always was and will be for the foreseeable future.
    You have scarecrows getting elected for Fianna Fail,rampant nepotism (3 members of one family,2 of another getting elected),and woefully inept candidates.
    The system must be overhauled and properly qualified and suitable candidates run .
    It seems neck and brazenness are the two main traits rewarded by voters at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

bigkev49 wrote:
    Nah I just want to have a job when I finish college. Also I don't like the idea of Enda representing me by pointing his finger and waving a bit of paper at all the other world leaders. :D
    QFT. ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

You have scarecrows getting elected for Fianna Fail,rampant nepotism (3 members of one family,2 of another getting elected),and woefully inept candidates. The system must be overhauled and properly qualified and suitable candidates run.

The population at large gets the TD's that it votes for, so whilst what you say is true, unfortunately, the electorate are voting for those types of people.

For example, many think that Dick Rochie is incompetent, yet 10,000+ and a near quote gave him their 1st pref in his constituency. Willie O'Dea got over 2 times the quota. One of his 'services' to his community is going to as many funerals as he can.

Dont blame the politicians, they are a reflection of the electorate.

> He's cunning and canniving but that's unfortunately what I'd like in a Taoiseach.

> I'm no fan of Fianna Fáil's corruption

does not compute ..... look-up the greek word logos !

Most of the population have no problem accepting corruption which is a crime. Irocically, at the same time, people are looking for more security on the steets and protection from crime. We get what we vote for. If we vote for politicians that commit crimes, it is a contradiction to request a system to reduce crime. The people are shooting themselves in the foot, and we do get what we deserve alas.

If you want to change it, start/join a party and work to change the system. Not that doing so is easy.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Today, 11:23 #38
    taconnol

Adverts | Blog | Friends It is so sad that the personality of the leaders of the parties should decide a general election. Its all too reminiscent of the cult of the personality that surrounded people like Stalin, Mao and Louis XIV.

What happened to the real issues like the state of our health service, the shocking lack of public transport and the corruption? Is it OK for Bertie to be completely incompetent as long as he's 'smooth? The amount that some people are fawning over him in this thread is ridiculous.

I don't care if the Taoiseach wears a suit or a jacket or if he's 'smooth'. I care about his policies on health care, public transport - real issues.

fianna fail voters have always engaged in idolotry of their leaders
    you will often meet people who think any kind of objection towards what fianna fail do by the opposition is unaceptable

ive always said that irish people are not bothered by a bit of corruption in politicians , this is especially true of fianna fail voters

that said , i will acknowledge that bertie is a master when it comes to politics , he is as skillfull a politican as thier is anywhere in the world at this time
    i said poltican , that doesnt mean i like him as a person
    i find his evasiveness unnerving and his inability to answer even the most simple striaghtforward question with a straight answer, he hasnt an idealogical or radical bone in his body yet has been a huge success in his job
    this has happend without him having ever made any hard unpopular descisions , what i mean is bertie been so reluctant to anger any single group for fear of loosing votes , unions , etc , while he was brilliant on the north , this involved him encouraging others to make descisions , not him , he does not possess any classic leadership qualitys when you think about it

but as someone once said to me about bertie , he suits this country as a leader , we are not an idealogical people and perfer somone who tries to get on with everyone and not fall out with anyone over something like principals

Bertie looked a worried man, not someone that peformed an election ressurection.

The Mahon tribunal resumes next week this wounded bertie act is a bid to stirr up public support for stopping the tribunal over the coming weeks.

The big question is will Bertie be called again before he has time to form a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

irish_bob wrote:
    fianna fail voters have always engaged in idolotry of their leaders

I think that's a human trait in general really. It's just being such a small country it's more intense or something.

Advertisement